Main Menu

Adelaide 2016 Season Megathread

Started by TomK, February 23, 2016, 09:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

Footy gods helping us with no Tippett, almost making Hartigan mute :o  But, having Kyle playing gives another option given Talia on Buddy but

If Hendo isn't in, do we really want Talia running up field with Buddy? So I'm still unsure on where Kyle Hartigan will play now with no Skurtly ???

TomK

Hartigan will go to Nankervis or Naismith, whoever is forward.

PowerBug

Talia won't follow Franklin up the ground after looking at how Davis played him on Saturday.

Rusty00

Earlier in the year the Crows double teamed Buddy a lot, playing Hartigan as a sweeper to stop Buddy getting in behind the defense. Would imagine they'd try a similar tactic although with no Tippett and at the smaller SCG, Buddy may stay closer to goal.

TomK

My god we need to target some gun midfielders this trade period. Rockliff would be a start. 8)

GoLions

Quote from: TomK on September 17, 2016, 10:57:22 PM
My god we need to target some gun midfielders this trade period. Rockliff would be a start. 8)
Smd.

TomK

Quote from: GoLions on September 17, 2016, 10:59:37 PM
Quote from: TomK on September 17, 2016, 10:57:22 PM
Smd.
What about ZOOOOOORRRKKKOOOOOOOO?

PowerBug

A winger to replace Mackay would be my target.

I can breathe easily now :)

TomK

Quote from: PowerBug on September 17, 2016, 11:14:46 PM
A winger to replace Mackay would be my target.
Oh tell me about it. I can only hope Hampton has a big pre-season and Mooookay is gone forever.

Nige

I know there's a pretty solid hatred of Mackay amongst Crows fana but I genuinely thought he looked like one of the better performers last night. Might just be me who thinks that though aha.

Jay

Disappointing night.. But realistically, our season ended at the hands of West Coast. That game wasted our 16-win season - it just wasn't realistic to expect us to go on the road 3 games in a row and win. We win that one, or the bs Hawthorn game and at worst, last night would've at least been at the Oval. I feel that this team was certainly good enough to cause some serious damage in the finals but footy's a cruel game and a bad couple of hours can derail all of that. And perhaps most importantly, we'll likely never have a list as injury free as we had this year. This was the year to cash in as you rarely get that kind of luck.

I still think the season was a success though, 16 wins and a semi-final birth immediately after losing the best player in the comp and with an impossible early season draw is a great effort. Certainly outperformed basically everyone's expectations. Pyke came in with a fresh gameplan and it's very difficult to argue that he hasn't done a great job in his first season at the helm. Not to say I haven't been frustrated with him multiple times this year though, haha. He doesn't seem to do anything during games, given I'm no expert and there is probably plenty that I have missed.

As for this off-season, the first thing that needs to be addressed is whether Jacobs is finished, or if it was just the awful decision not to rest him for the Essendon game that is responsible for his form. He has not looked the same since that ankle injury, I mean the bloke allowed Jonathon freaking Giles to be best on ground, and last night he didn't even get off of the ground in about a dozen ruck contests. He's been an amazing player for us, and I hope he has been carrying something as if he's been fully fit the last month then we are going to need to find another ruckman pretty quickly.

Another great player for us, Scotty Thompson is done. We'd lose nothing going from him to CEY or Grigg next season. If he wants to stay on and play SANFL and be on standby for an injury in the 1's then that could work but I just can't see him being best 22 next year. Same with Mackay, there's no way he's in the best 22 players in a premiership side. But he's deserved his spot in the side every game this season because the rest of our midfield is just so slow with below average kicking, think Thommo, Crouch, Crouch etc. We really need to hope that one of Seed, Hampton, Knight, can go to the next level and really have a big impact on a wing next season.

I did love Charlie Cameron's game last night though, he's got exactly that kind of line-breaking ability that we desperately need. I'm also a big fan of our backline and think it is wildly underrated and Jakey Lever is probably my favourite player in the side, Kyle Cheney also has been very good. Midfield needs another gun, hopefully Brad can be that next season. Our fwd line is obviously potent, but Jenkins should walk back to Adelaide after dishing that up last night (if he was that badly injured he could only perform to that level then he just should not have played).

Plenty to think about, and it's certainly been a disappointing finish to the year but overall you've got to be happy with the position we are in, and the progress we made this season. But most importantly, at least we had a season miles better than Port :P

Koop

Quote from: Jay on September 18, 2016, 08:00:57 PM
But most importantly, at least we had a season miles better than Port :P

Was waiting for this, was not disappointed

TomK

Another one, along with Sauce who has fallen in a whole, is Luke Brown. Was rarely beaten the two previous seasons but this season he just wasn't good. Tried to add an attacking side of his game this season and seems to have backfired but was talk of an injury throughout the year, so why not rest him against Essendon, Brisbane or Fremantle? It didn't make sense. Small forwards always seem to kick bags on us.

PowerBug

way I see it is neither team won the premiership, and we get a higher draft pick. Thus our season is more productive :P

tbagrocks

Quote from: PowerBug on September 18, 2016, 08:25:18 PM
way I see it is neither team won the premiership, and we get a higher draft pick. Thus our season is more productive :P
On that, I hear Adelaide finished 5th somewhere which means the Hawks are 6th. How did a top four team losing the same finals week drop behind a team who missed the top four? ???

....... just what I heard, not sure and unsure how that could happen?