Main Menu

What Now

Started by bunyip, September 18, 2010, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

When you have a look at this season, The Cats finished 2 points behind Collingwood with a better percentage. BEAT Collingwood once this season, and JUST lost to ST.Kilda in an epic final.
I don't think we should panic, that doesn't sound like the season of a team on the way down.
For the first time in a while, next season Geelong will be a BETTER side.
Chew on THAT ;D

Boomz

Sadly they won't be any younger next year & ablett will leave u in a mess... you'll be top 4 still but it won't be long till you drop...

bunyip

We will see. It's Bombers last season next year so I will be interested to see what he does. You may find he will start a lot of new players next season, because we have a few good prospects waiting for a game.
They won't offer Gablett the captaincy before he announces his decision. I think Selwood will be captain next year.
Hawkins will go back to full forward where he belongs, Mooney will stay so we will have a settled forward line again.
I am VERY optimistic about next season.

benjy251090

Quote from: BOOMZ on September 18, 2010, 10:09:27 AM
Sadly they won't be any younger next year & ablett will leave u in a mess... you'll be top 4 still but it won't be long till you drop...
agreed, i think it is the end of dominance as such, but you still have a chance at the premiership though

Fletch74

I don't know if they'll even be top 4 next year. They're looking at losing GAJ, Milburn, Ling, Ottens (possibly) and a couple of their youngsters might head to other clubs... Plus they're aging. They'll make the 8, but the loss of GAJ will make it hard for them to make the top 4 next year.

Fireballz

What's this about Ling going? First I've heard of it.
I wouldn't hit the panic button yet for Geelong but I think even if Ablett stays they might only have another 1 or 2 years and then their window is closed. The only new player they really gave a good run this year was J-Pod...

Fletch74

Just my opinion FB, he looks very slow. Don't know if he's got much more left.

ossie85

Is it fair to say bunyip that Geelong might suffer next year with young players? They've had so many dominant years it was hard for newbies to break in the side (Taylor being the obvious exception, and Pods doesn't really count). Will they suffer from lack of experience?

bunyip

It's hard to say. I just had a quick look at our list and there are 10 players who played last night under 28. We will only lose 2 or 3 players to retirement and transfers I reckon, so we will still be a very experienced side, but hopefully guys like Hogan and Gamble, Trent-west and Menzel will get a whole season next year.
They are ALL good players who have hung around and deserve a chance. Hopefully they will get it next season.
As I said, I am very optimistic, even a bit excited about our prospects next season.

Hawka

u forgot duncan who i reckon will b a good player

8-6 Suited

Duncan will be a gun, but Bomber tends to stick to those who have performed for long periods than rotating youth though to give experience which is why the depth isn't quite there such as the likes of the Pies.

Taylor Hunt will also be a good defender when he gets experience under his belt, Menzel, Hogan.. Not 100% sold on Trent-west yet but if he can get some games, it may change.

I look forward to seeing the changes made throughout the offseason and the draft/trade week, to see how things go.

bunyip

Bomber is also talking about modifying our game plan to more resemble Collingwoods, eg. more long kicks and less handball.
I think we really need to look at the way Collingwood rotate their players off the bench to.
They seem to use the interchange a lot more than most other teams.

Hawka

And bunyip malthouse back his young players more this yr eg:reid,beams,sidebottom,blair and play them for longer periods were bomber hasnt done this

bunyip

Yes, but because the senior players have been fit. When we have an injury to someone the younger players get a go, the same as in any other team.

bunyip

Geelong have lost a lot of personell this season. Most can be replaced relatively easily. Gablett and Bomber are going to hurt. The thing is, other teams have lost great players and survived. We will find a new coach, he may not be as good as Bomber, then again, he might be.
We should know next week if we are looking for a new coach.
It all adds to the drama. Next season will be very exciting. I don't expect to see a lot of new players, but maybe a new game plan. No longer all out attack, perhaps more long kicking and less hand ball.