Main Menu

Last Game for Milburn & Ottens?

Started by 8-6 Suited, September 17, 2010, 10:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-6 Suited

Having paid close attention to Geelong as one does throughout the season, you pay a lot of attention to its players.

Milburn has gotten extremely sluggish in his old age of 33 around the ground, could this have been his last game? I think it will be.

Ottens, reinvented his career when he got to Geelong but the past 3 seasons have been trouble by injuries. Didn't look all to in it tonight and struggled to keep up with Jolly. With the Cats priming Tommy Hawkins into a ruck position, is this a sign of his retirement as well?

Discuss.

benjy251090

1 more season for ottens i think, mainly as a mentor for hawkins

milburn may be gone and mackie coming in for him

Hawka

No way hawkins will b there number 1 ruck

bunyip

It's hard to make judgements on one game. Hawkins didn't get a touch, neither did Ottens. But then again, neither did  Jolly.
We need an infusion of youth, but you have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Boomz

Ottens will play on but Milburn is gawwwn. Hawkins will be delisted/traded in the next 2 years.

bunyip

I think they'll hang onto Tommahawk BOOMZ

ossie85

Reckon they're regretting losing Mummy right about now

bunyip

I don't think so. They had to either let Mummy go or Blake. I think they showed a lot of integrity and loyalty in keeping Blake, when Mummy would have been a better choice.

benjy251090

Quote from: bunyip on September 18, 2010, 09:47:25 AM
I don't think so. They had to either let Mummy go or Blake. I think they showed a lot of integrity and loyalty in keeping Blake, when Mummy would have been a better choice.
integrity or stupidity?

8-6 Suited

My opinion isn't based off of 1 game. Ottens has played I think 1 seasons worth of games in the last 3. Injury has hit him pretty hard, and I don't see him getting up to being able to play another full season physically which may influence an earlier retirement than what he would probably prefer. With Blake still there, the chances are he could take #1 Ruck with the Tommahawk a 2nd ruck/big forward target. The later of course is where I would prefer him in the Geelong side.

I think Mummy was the better option to keep but last year, Blake was #1 for Percentage of Hit outs to advantage in the league. That's a good sign. Sure he is a bit of a spud but its a good sign still that they may have looked at it as a more beneficial option to their strong midfield.

ossie85

Quote from: bunyip on September 18, 2010, 09:47:25 AM

I don't understand why Mummy didn't deserve similar loyalty under that logic. One for all, all for one?

bunyip

To be honest, I would have kept Mummy. You can't keep everyone happy. Blake stuck with the team after being dropped for the '07 GF after playing every game. Sydney wanted a ruckman, Blake didn't want to leave.
You can call it stupid if you like, but these decisions are made by clubs all the time. Sometimes they come back to bite you.

Maca24

Blake fails though... anyway Milburn is done I think. Time to get T.Hunt and Menzel in the starting team. Inject some youth.

SCADDICT

Of course Blake didn't want to leave. NO ONE else would want him. He is horrible. Mummy is probably laughing his ass off  :P

bunyip

Quote from: SCADDICT on September 18, 2010, 06:01:29 PM
Of course Blake didn't want to leave. NO ONE else would want him. He is horrible. Mummy is probably laughing his ass off  :P
Probably, but I think we did the right thing by Blake. If he leaves now, we are square. And we DO have other ruckmen coming through.