International Cricket Thread

Started by Bill Manspeaker, June 10, 2014, 03:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

I don't think Ballance is actually going to play in the first test, it'll depend whether Buttler plays I think. Taylor, Root, Bairstow take three of the spots, Stokes at 6, Buttoer 7. But if Bairstow keeps then it opens to door for Ballance or Compton to come in.

Just back to your first point, you don't think Australia should try to beat South Africa in South Africa and should instead look at preparing for a series 4 years away?

Jay

Quote from: PowerBug on November 20, 2015, 12:25:46 PM
I don't think Ballance is actually going to play in the first test, it'll depend whether Buttler plays I think. Taylor, Root, Bairstow take three of the spots, Stokes at 6, Buttoer 7. But if Bairstow keeps then it opens to door for Ballance or Compton to come in.

Just back to your first point, you don't think Australia should try to beat South Africa in South Africa and should instead look at preparing for a series 4 years away?
Yeah you know the in's and out's of the English team better than I so that's fair enough. I just think Bell is still in their top 3 or 4 bats so should be in the side.

Of course I think Australia should try to beat South Africa, I never said it wasn't important. My point was that Klinger/Bancroft/SMarsh are of similar abilities at the moment, and I'd rather give a guy a go who hasn't proven himself as mediocre yet like Marsh has. The difference is very clear I don't think I really need to explain it too much, but my thing was that in 4 years when the next England tour comes around (haven't won there since 2001 - I think it's fair enough in saying fixing this should be a main priority) a dude like Bancroft could have developed himself into a great player, something Marsh is just never going to be. And since Bancroft and Marsh are similar in ability right now, playing the younger guy really won't affect our competitiveness in important series' vs South Africa and India. Getting some guy's who haven't had a shot yet is very important, so when the time comes we aren't just chucking them into the deep end.

Whereas with Bell, he deserves a bit more leniency seeing as he's been a major part of the England side for a long while.

PowerBug

Yeah fair point. I suppose the whole crickte world is divided on this Ian Bell situation, we'll just keep going round in circles about it anyway :P Only Englishman to play in 5 winning Ashes series ;) (05, 09, 10/11, 13, 15)

Back to the team itself, there's so many ways it could go:
Cook, Hales, Ballance, Root, Taylor, Stokes, Bairstow [wk], Ali, Broad, Footit, Anderson would be my team. Ben Stokes is under an injury cloud, if he doesn't pull up, and they like the idea of Jos Buttler then the team could look like this:
Cook, Hales, Taylor, Root, Bairstow, Ali, Buttler [wk], Woakes, Broad, Footit, Anderson.

As long as the barbies play Footit over Jordan and Woakes I'll be happy. Fat boy Patel better not play, Compton is an option for number 3 but I think he is the backup opener for when Hales flowers up. Taylor, Root, Bairstow are basically guaranteed spots I think.

Bill Manspeaker

Jay

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on November 25, 2015, 09:11:20 PM
I think KP agrees with you Jay :P

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OhF6tG5rMfk
Hahah wow that's crazy, completely mirrors my thoughts. Great minds think alike ;)

PowerBug

Oh I hope Gary plays and scores now... KP is a joke and is just butthurt he isn't playing himself.

And you know why Cook didn't get dropped? The daft selectors at the time. They've gone through a clean out (multiple cleanouts i think) over recent times and that's why KP ain't playing (apparently he and Cook haven't spoken for almost 2 years) and that's why you've seen different approaches to Cook and Bell. Different people in charge.

PowerBug

Speaking of South Africa, the number 1 test team in the world. 12/5 against India at the moment. In all sorts. 13 overs in, all the wickets have gone to SPIN. India named Ishant Sharma and 3 spinners. Sharma bowled 2 overs yesterday it's been all Ashwin and Jadeja since.

Jukes

Quote from: PowerBug on November 26, 2015, 04:14:21 PM
Speaking of South Africa, the number 1 test team in the world. 12/5 against India at the moment. In all sorts. 13 overs in, all the wickets have gone to SPIN. India named Ishant Sharma and 3 spinners. Sharma bowled 2 overs yesterday it's been all Ashwin and Jadeja since.

Rebounded to 7/65, at least they won't beat out Australia's 60 as the most pathetic innings of the year/decade/century.

PowerBug

Quote from: Jukes on November 26, 2015, 05:03:59 PM

Rebounded to 7/65, at least they won't beat out Australia's 60 as the most pathetic innings of the year/decade/century.
Wasn't Australia's 46 the most pathetic of the century? ;) Well India only made 213, so if they scramble over 100 I suppose they are still in the test match...

Torpedo10

Quote from: PowerBug on November 26, 2015, 05:05:11 PM

Wasn't Australia's 46 the most pathetic of the century? ;) Well India only made 213, so if they scramble over 100 I suppose they are still in the test match...
I thought they said batsmen have too much advantage?  ;) Maybe just in Aus.

Clearly we should play all cricket in England/Subcontinent if we a purely interested in an even game between bat & ball.

Bill Manspeaker

all out for 79

Duminy top scored with 35

Jukes

Nah the 60 was worse
- vs biggest rivals
- biggest series in test cricket (and what turned out to be the series deciding game as well)
- down by 200+ at day's end

Jay

Quote from: Jukes on November 26, 2015, 06:08:50 PM

Nah the 60 was worse
- vs biggest rivals
- biggest series in test cricket (and what turned out to be the series deciding game as well)
Agreed.

PowerBug

Quote from: Jayman on November 26, 2015, 06:13:52 PM
Quote from: Jukes on November 26, 2015, 06:08:50 PM

Nah the 60 was worse
- vs biggest rivals
Agreed.
I was just going purely off the fact they scored less that day. But yeah the 60 is pretty humiliating.

Quote from: Torpedo10 on November 26, 2015, 05:29:29 PM
I thought they said batsmen have too much advantage?  ;) Maybe just in Aus.

Clearly we should play all cricket in England/Subcontinent if we a purely interested in an even game between bat & ball.
Pakistan vs England in the UAE was an alright contest. Perhaps a 6 match Ashes series in India would be good to see.

PowerBug

Anyone miss the day's play? Well according to this you didn't miss much:

5 overs, and 15 extras. Lots of rain around right? RIGHT???

::) ;D