Tarrant: Did the Magpies make a mistake?

Started by ossie85, May 15, 2010, 05:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Chris Tarrant has been brilliant for Fremantle this year and last in defence, a position that he played well in the very rare occasions he did at Collingwood. Was it a mistake to let him go?

First off - Collingwood got Paul Medhurst and Pick 8 (Ben Reid) in return. Medhurst has had one really good season where he was All-Australian, and Ben Reid is developing and could be a great key-defender, he just isn't quite there yet.

So, in trade terms, you'd probably call it a draw. Medhurst had a short-term burst and Reid has long-term potential, while Tarrant has been very solid.

Tarrant WASN'T having an impact at Collingwood in his last couple of years. He wasn't scoring goals, and you could argue that Malthouse should've played him in defence but with Presti, Wakelin and Clement there wasn't much room. There was also his off-field issues at Collingwood, and the fact he almost quit the game a couple of times because of the intense media scrutiny he got at Melbourne.

Basically, I don't think Tarrant would be playing as well at Collingwood as he is at Fremantle. I think he likes not being the star anymore, and ironically it is making him a star. So yeah, I think it was win-win for both Collingwood and Freo.

Sorry for the long post! Tarrant use to be my favourite player at one point, and the Pies play Freo, and the herald sun article got me thinking.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Also, his kicking at goal was frustrating :) But his hands were fantastic.

Justin Bieber

He couldn't handle the pressure down at collingwood. The new scenario is doing his game well.

Past his prime as a goal kicker and wouldn't get any better with the development of cloke and all down at collingwood.

It does look like a win win situation for now. Tarrant has reignited his game and a key player in the dockers winning ways this year.

Master Q

Tarrant has to be one of my favourite players, even though i'm not a Freo or Pies Supporter, just love his game style.

reesbr

Master Q

Cruiseon

I think Travis Cloke well & truely answered this question on the weekend when he thrashed Tarrant.

Lets not forget we got Medhurst AND Reid for him so I think we are miles ahead. Go Pies!

Cruiseon

I think Travis Cloke well & truely answered this question on the weekend when he completely thrashed Tarrant. From what I could see Tarrant is somewhat overrated.

Lets not forget we got Medhurst AND Reid for him so I think we are miles ahead. Go Pies!

reesbr

I think Tarrant could of helped our backline