Main Menu

Kennelly back for rd6!!

Started by j959, March 29, 2011, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

Kennelly set for reserves return
Source: Swans official website - dated 29 Mar 2011

Sydney Swans defender Tadhg Kennelly is expected to make his return to football this weekend.

Physiotherapist Matt Cameron told SwansTV that provided he gets through training this week, Kennelly will line-up for the Swans Reserves in their inaugural clash with the GWS Giants prior to the Swans main game against Essendon on Sunday at ANZ Stadium.

It is expected Kennelly will be joined by fellow defender Lewis Roberts-Thomson, who played two quarters in the Swans reserves practice match against Belconnen on Saturday.

Jarred Moore, who was ruled out of last weekend's senior game against Melbourne, will have a fitness test on his ankle ahead of the Essendon game.   

The news isn’t as good for forward Trent Dennis-Lane who will miss at least two weeks after sustaining an ankle injury during the team’s final training hit-out last week.

Matt Spangher is set to resume training next week after overcoming a quad injury, while Campbell Heath and Nick Malceski’s recovery from LARS knee surgery is progressing well. 

Cameron said that it is still unclear when Daniel Bradshaw will return to training, but he was hopeful that if Bradshaw's knee 'settled down' he could resume in a couple of weeks.

for sydneyswans.com.au

SydneyRox

Bradshaw not playing long term is going to hurt us unless White/Seaby/Reid can do the job.

Reid looked really good last week, not sure why they subbed him off ?

Samm79

was lacking a bit of condition. 7 contested marks this week, looks like the mesiah!

Cruiseon

He is well bred being the brother of a Premiership player.  ;)

SydneyRox

come in spinner, slowly getting our best team on the park. Not bad for a team who hasnt lost a game yet

j959

Kennelly eyes a fast start
Source: Swans AFL official website - dated 27 April 2011

Returning Sydney Swans defender Tadhg Kennelly says the start of this Friday night’s clash with Carlton at the SCG could be make or break.

Kennelly, who will make his long awaited return from an off-season knee injury this week, said the Swans could ill-afford a slow start against Carlton - with the Blues jumping from the blocks in their opening matches of the season, booting a total of 20 goals 23 behinds in their five first quarters.

“They have been one of the better teams in the competition at jumping out in the first quarter, so we’ve got to be really switched on,” Kennelly said. 

“If you do give them a good start, they’re going to carry it on. They’ve only lost one game out of five, so they’re up and going.”

Kennelly says he is looking forward to returning to the Friday night football stage for the first time during the home and away season since 2003.

“It’s a huge game for us, we lost two weeks ago against Geelong and you like to win most of your home games and make it a bit of a fortress,” he said.

“It’s quite exciting to play a Friday night game. The whole AFL community is looking at you as it’s the only game that is being played in the country. It’s just great to be part of that as a footballer - we don’t get enough Friday night football here in Sydney."

Kennelly injured the medial ligament in his right knee during a training mishap in Ireland in early December last year. After three matches with the Swans Reserves, the Irishman is well prepared for his senior football return.

“It’s been five months since I had surgery, now I’m up and going and I’ve been ready to go for a while but we just took the conservative approach.

“Obviously I’ve played a few games in the Reserves and it was really good to get my confidence up first of all in my knee, but more so I suppose for my fitness having less players on the interchange,” he said.

The Swans have an imposing recent record against the Blues, winning 14 of the last 15 matches between the two Clubs. Amazingly, Carlton have not beaten the Swans in Sydney since 1993.

Last time the two teams met was last season’s memorable elimination final at ANZ Stadium.

The Swans had all the ascendancy at half time, before a Chris Judd-inspired Carlton rallied to take control of the match in the third quarter. In a tight final term, the Swans fought back from being behind to claim a classic five-point win.

Link to article: http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/112503/default.aspx

Also, Swans injury list from anothe article dated - 26 April 2011:

The full injury list is:

Daniel Bradshaw - knee - indefinite

Campbell Heath - knee - 1-2 weeks

Nick Malceski - knee - 3-4 weeks

Alex Johnson - hamstring - 1 week

Link to article: http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/112396/default.aspx

SydneyRox

Kennelly and Moore are two really good inclusions for us.

I think we have suffered a little from having just a couple too many young players in the team against the bigger bodies, especially last week against the Cats.

LRT cant be too far away either, and I am surprised Seaby hast got another run yet.

j959

Quote from: SydneyRox on April 29, 2011, 01:56:16 PM
Kennelly and Moore are two really good inclusions for us.

I think we have suffered a little from having just a couple too many young players in the team against the bigger bodies, especially last week against the Cats.

LRT cant be too far away either, and I am surprised Seaby hast got another run yet.
Pykey keeping Seaby out?? lol!   ;)