The Champions League

Started by ossie85, September 07, 2012, 04:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nails

A captain is a part of the team and works itself out over the course of a season, imo captain should be included in rankings and seedings and the comp blah blah.

Justin Bieber

For the champions league the points are getting weighed right on because SB is higher scoring then let's DT. However, because their are less teams in Euros wouldn't the scoring meant to be weighed more because less players are picked.

Holz

Quote from: whatlez on February 27, 2013, 03:08:56 PM
For the champions league the points are getting weighed right on because SB is higher scoring then let's DT. However, because their are less teams in Euros wouldn't the scoring meant to be weighed more because less players are picked.

the weigthing system works so it doesnt matter how many teams or what scorign system you use. it all based on the averaged scores of the league. So the only way you can get an advantage is by having big S.D in the teams.

Adamant

Memphistopheles

Is this going ahead this season then?

Why not, just for this year, combine the two competitions.

Play a knockout competition until we get down to 16 teams. Then run the round robin during the middle of the season (play each other team twice) and the finals at the end of the season.

This is how I'd envision it would work, giving two games (home + away) for all knockout matches:

Total number of XV teams = 64.

Knockout stage 1 (64 teams): Round 4+5
Knockout stage 2 (32 teams): Round 6+7
Round Robin period 1 (16 teams): 8+9+10
Mid Season break (bye): Rounds 11, 12 and 13
Round Robin period 2 (16 teams): Rounds 14+15+16.
Quarter final stage (8 teams): Rounds 17+18
Semi final stage (4 teams): Rounds 19+20
Grand final (2 teams): Rounds 21+22

I haven't included Round 23 as AFL teams tend to rest players then so I don't like the grand final of any comps being on this week (even though it is GF week for all the fantasy comps).

That way everyone gets a taste of Inter-competition footy but chances are the best teams will still play off for the finals.

ossie85

Good idea Memph :) I think we have 18 teams though? (18+18+16+14 = 66?) I could be wrong

Holz

Quote from: ossie85 on February 27, 2013, 04:45:55 PM

Good idea Memph :) I think we have 18 teams though? (18+18+16+14 = 66?) I could be wrong

dam thought we had 64, thats going to cause problems from my kncokout comp.

now this is how im plannign to run the champions league.

The top 4 teams from every comp from the year before (so 2012) will battle it out in a 16 team comp, the format of that i will discuss later. Now obviously with only the euro and worlds running last year this creates problems, so qualification can go one of 2 ways.

1. 8 euro teams and 8 world teams
2. 4 of each with the british and asian coming from some method not sure how you guys might have an idea.

you get put in 4 brackets so bracket 1. has

1. Worlds
2. Euro
3. British
4. Asian

bracket 2 is

4. Worlds
1. Euro
2. British
3. Asian

and so forth.

only the top 2 from each group qualify so 8 teams left.

than you play each team once (7 games) than

its 1v2 to make grandfinal, 3v4
loser of 1v2 plays winner of 3v4
grandfinal

So rounds 1-3 Group stages
round 4-10 top 8 play each other
round 14-15 finals
round 16 Grandfinal
than round 17-22 is the knock-out comp with round 22 the knockout comp grandfinal
round 23 is reserved for each individual leagues grandfinal.

nostradamus

Watch out for the mighty Russian Roulettes guys  8)

nostradamus

Quote from: Holzman on February 27, 2013, 05:09:26 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on February 27, 2013, 04:45:55 PM

dam thought we had 64, thats going to cause problems from my kncokout comp.

now this is how im plannign to run the champions league.

The top 4 teams from every comp from the year before (so 2012) will battle it out in a 16 team comp, the format of that i will discuss later. Now obviously with only the euro and worlds running last year this creates problems, so qualification can go one of 2 ways.

1. 8 euro teams and 8 world teams
2. 4 of each with the british and asian coming from some method not sure how you guys might have an idea.

you get put in 4 brackets so bracket 1. has

1. Worlds
2. Euro
3. British
4. Asian

bracket 2 is

4. Worlds
1. Euro
2. British
3. Asian

and so forth.

only the top 2 from each group qualify so 8 teams left.

than you play each team once (7 games) than

its 1v2 to make grandfinal, 3v4
loser of 1v2 plays winner of 3v4
grandfinal

So rounds 1-3 Group stages
round 4-10 top 8 play each other
round 14-15 finals
round 16 Grandfinal
than round 17-22 is the knock-out comp with round 22 the knockout comp grandfinal
round 23 is reserved for each individual leagues grandfinal.

l think this is a terrific way to go about it Holz

GM

Holz

my eagles probably would have been one of the favourites for the champions league trophy but as we won the spoon we wont be qulifiyng. will be dangerous in the knockout comp though.

for the knockout comp might have to kick the lowest two teams out of the comp. not really happy with that as i want it to be all inclusive but cant see another way around it.

Ziplock

so who qualifies for the champions league?

we could have like play offs for it- like top 10 teams over first 7 rounds make it in or w.e :P

nostradamus

Quote from: Holzman on February 27, 2013, 05:36:28 PM
my eagles probably would have been one of the favourites for the champions league trophy but as we won the spoon we wont be qulifiyng. will be dangerous in the knockout comp though.

for the knockout comp might have to kick the lowest two teams out of the comp. not really happy with that as i want it to be all inclusive but cant see another way around it.

l'm happy for the Crabs (AXV) to be one of the ones to miss out in the KO comp if we're seen as one of the weakest

Holz

Quote from: Ziplock on February 27, 2013, 05:42:28 PM

we could have like play offs for it- like top 10 teams over first 7 rounds make it in or w.e :P

its supposed to be the top 4 from 2012.

so Scrads 1

nostradamus

Quote from: Holzman on February 27, 2013, 05:50:33 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 27, 2013, 05:42:28 PM

its supposed to be the top 4 from 2012.

so Scrads 1

so would that be......

1st. Premier
2nd. Runner-up
3rd. Losing semi-finalist (to Premier)
4th. losing semi-finalist (to runner-up)