Main Menu

EURO Trading

Started by Holz, September 03, 2012, 12:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: CrowsFan on January 07, 2013, 08:25:59 PM
Quote from: Holzman on January 07, 2013, 08:18:48 PM
I can see why people would want to cut lose anyone over 28 though if your going youth. The problem im seeing is that people are going way to young. Im going young in the worlds and im trading for guys in the 20-24 range. I have heard people even say a 25-26 year old player is too old for them. A 26 year old player is too old for no team.
Talking about worlds and the teams going young there, I find it very funny because the average age of my entire squad is just 22.02, yet I was one of, if not the, strongest teams going round last year!
When you get gifted JPK and cotchin than you would expect that :)

picker_man

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on January 07, 2013, 07:45:28 PM
Lol holz moller at number one you reckon? The experts rated him around a second round pick can't remember where but I read that when researching him months ago. He is nowhere near as good as Grundy, never will be.

Going on previous trades this trade has to pass. Though sucks to be torp have fighting with the dutch for the spoon for the next three years.  There needs to be something done to stop people going the youth/old route in all xv comps it takes all realism out of it.

yeah i read the article incorectly, I still think he would be a first round pick. Have seen him abit in action and he can play.

The only way to do it woudl be to have an age cap. and even than teams could just get around it by getting a few old spuds. The difference really is young teams need a few old bodies to stop the kids getting hurt, in fantasy you dont need that.

Really though its basically comparing Gellong to GWS.

I do have quite a few old players but i wouldnt really say i have gone down the old route at all.

Gibbs, Pendles, Lids, Barlow, Anthony, Goldy, Cloke

thats half my starting sqaud at around 25-26 or under.

than guys like shaw adcock lecras arent that much older.

I can see why people would want to cut lose anyone over 28 though if your going youth. The problem im seeing is that people are going way to young. Im going young in the worlds and im trading for guys in the 20-24 range. I have heard people even say a 25-26 year old player is too old for them. A 26 year old player is too old for no team.

As you pointed out your team is filled with guys around the age of 26, so how is it going to help someone going young to get in a 26yr old player when that guy will be 30 and useless by the time your team stops winning

JBs-Hawks

My Euros team is youthful but I.much rather bring in 21-25yos than an unproven 18yo.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Holzman on January 07, 2013, 08:36:48 PM
Quote from: CrowsFan on January 07, 2013, 08:25:59 PM
Talking about worlds and the teams going young there, I find it very funny because the average age of my entire squad is just 22.02, yet I was one of, if not the, strongest teams going round last year!
When you get gifted JPK and cotchin than you would expect that :)
That was cape town, not me ;)

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on January 07, 2013, 07:45:28 PM
Lol holz moller at number one you reckon? The experts rated him around a second round pick can't remember where but I read that when researching him months ago. He is nowhere near as good as Grundy, never will be.

Going on previous trades this trade has to pass. Though sucks to be torp have fighting with the dutch for the spoon for the next three years.  There needs to be something done to stop people going the youth/old route in all xv comps it takes all realism out of it.

yeah i read the article incorectly, I still think he would be a first round pick. Have seen him abit in action and he can play.

The only way to do it woudl be to have an age cap. and even than teams could just get around it by getting a few old spuds. The difference really is young teams need a few old bodies to stop the kids getting hurt, in fantasy you dont need that.

Really though its basically comparing Gellong to GWS.

I do have quite a few old players but i wouldnt really say i have gone down the old route at all.

Gibbs, Pendles, Lids, Barlow, Anthony, Goldy, Cloke

thats half my starting sqaud at around 25-26 or under.

than guys like shaw adcock lecras arent that much older.

Best way to do it would probably be to have a minimum points cap

Ziplock

too complex, it prevents people from trading for bargains etc.

just have a trade rejection committee

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: Ziplock on January 07, 2013, 10:17:17 PM
too complex, it prevents people from trading for bargains etc.

just have a trade rejection committee

As long as your not on that committee

Scrads

First thing I want to say guys is can we please respect HP's wishes in not using the 'r' word, that has been used many, many times the last few pages and it is getting to me now aswell.

Second of all I want to really put something straight. The thought of a 'realistic' competition (i.e. having one like the AFL) is pretty much near on impossible for several reasons. The main reason is that we have the capacity to trade A LOT more than AFL clubs. When players get traded from AFL clubs 95% of the time it is because they are not getting oppurtunities, are not happy at the club they are at, chasing big $$$ or want to return home. The club they get traded to have to a) want the player, b) be prepared (and be able) to cater for their salary and c) be willing to give up assets roughly of what they are worth.

In our game, the only thing we have to contend with is both coaches wanting the other players and be willing to give the correct assets. We don't have to worry about the general happiness/welfare of the player. The players don't have to buy new homes, move their families, negotiate for higher/lower wages, fill out contracts which need to be honoured or payed out etc. In real life, a trade is actually pretty hard to come together quickly and successfully. In this comp, all there needs to be is a pm from one person to another saying 'I will give you Ablett for Rutten' and another saying 'OK Deal'.

I do not think it would be possible to actually manage our competition to the point where our trade and squad activity are as realistic as the AFL. It would seriously need a trading cap of maybe 3 or 4 and that's it. I don't know about everybody else but I quite enjoyed the way our trade periods have run. The main thing it does is keep activity and interest up for a very long and arduous period over the summer.

Now onto the youth v age topic, look what I have done to my side over the trading periods. My starting team from last year was:

B:Carrazzo, Broughton, Guerra, Gram
M:Ablett, NVB, Bartel, Judd
R:Bellchambers
F:SJ, Pav, Porplyzia, Ballantyne
U:Ebert Masten

With Fasolo, Ibbotson, Ellis, Wellingham, McDonald my main reserves.

This has now turned into:

B: Broughton, Hartlett, Guerra, Howard
M: Stanton, Ebert, Masten, Shiels
R: Leuenberger
F: Ryder, Martin, Whitecross, Breust
U: Foley, NVB

with Pederson, Vince, Mackay, JJK, Jetta, Walters, Schulz my main reserves.

The age of my squad has taken a nose-dive, the only player in my starting 15 who is 'old' is Guerra and the only reason I didn't try and trade him is because he is a defender so is harder to replace than all the other positions and I knew I wouldn't get what he is worth to my side. He may even be replaced by Pederson during the season depending how things go.

As you can see though, I have completely turned over what was a great unit (forgive me for getting a big head but what was probably the best starting 15 of last year's comp) however a very, very mature and aged one into one full of young guns and great depth for the loss of IMO very very little average points per game. It just shows you can go the 'youth' way without having to decimate your short-term performances.

TL;DR ? Everybody shut up and get on with it.

picker_man

Nost must be sick of all my PM's by now haha but i finally got his other gun Crow 8) had to pay a bit but helping Nost with my older guys add's another premiership threat :)

Nost Gives: R.Sloane + S.Edwards + T.Sheridan

I Give: R.Griffen + R.O'Keefe + N.Lower

nostradamus

Quote from: picker_man on January 08, 2013, 01:09:45 AM
Nost must be sick of all my PM's by now haha but i finally got his other gun Crow 8) had to pay a bit but helping Nost with my older guys add's another premiership threat :)

Nost Gives: R.Sloane + S.Edwards + T.Sheridan

I Give: R.Griffen + R.O'Keefe + N.Lower

confirmed  8)

Ziplock

haha, am I the only one who hasnt had insane changes to his squad? I've lost riewoldt + murphy, and thats it... golby + bugg pushed into my 15, but apart from that my squads pretty much the same :P

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: Ziplock on January 08, 2013, 02:59:06 AM
haha, am I the only one who hasnt had insane changes to his squad? I've lost riewoldt + murphy, and thats it... golby + bugg pushed into my 15, but apart from that my squads pretty much the same :P
Silly you you are now bottom 4 contendors

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Scrads on January 08, 2013, 12:27:37 AM
In our game, the only thing we have to contend with is both coaches wanting the other players and be willing to give the correct assets. We don't have to worry about the general happiness/welfare of the player. The players don't have to buy new homes, move their families, negotiate for higher/lower wages, fill out contracts which need to be honoured or payed out etc. In real life, a trade is actually pretty hard to come together quickly and successfully. In this comp, all there needs to be is a pm from one person to another saying 'I will give you Ablett for Rutten' and another saying 'OK Deal'.
But my players like it in Iceland and we cater to their every needs :(.

My XV going into next season:
Back: Harbrow, Mackie, Dempsey, Watts.
Mids: S. Selwood, McVeigh, Judd, Bennell.
Ruck: Mumford.
Fwd: Lewis, Gray, Adams, Mayne.
Bench: Wells, Duncan.

Traded out 5 Starting players in Selwood, Brown, Harvey, Goddard and Chapman but received Judd, Bennell, Rance, Grundy, Mumford, Dempsey and Wells in return pretty much. Took a hit on the individual players, but lowered age and increased depth seeing as our Ruck and Back departments let us down last year ::). At Iceland, we care for our players to trade out too many.

Ziplock

Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on January 08, 2013, 03:14:58 AM

haha, we'll see.

Holz

Quote from: Ziplock on January 08, 2013, 12:27:52 PM
Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on January 08, 2013, 03:14:58 AM

haha, we'll see.

Zip has a hard draw, he is the only team that plays the 2013 premiers twice.