Main Menu

Blues 2016 H&A Discussion

Started by Vinny, April 01, 2015, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Money Shot

Do you think Henderson to Geelong for their first pick is to much?
And who could we get for him???

ossie85

Quote from: Money Shot on August 24, 2015, 08:19:26 AM

I think a player you dropped from a bottom 4 side and kicked out of the club might struggle to get a first round pick IMO. Think sweeteners would need to be involved.

blue

Quote from: Mat0369 on August 24, 2015, 01:01:18 AM
I saw this when watching the highlights

I'll post a few notes later
I cry on the inside every time I see Eddie play for the crow

Mat0369

Quote from: Money Shot on August 24, 2015, 08:19:26 AM

You would think it would have to be at least a first round pick. Teams know what he is capable of when playing in defense and we will be demanding that in return for him. Considering the Cats gave pick 21 for Rhys Stanley who has shown a hell of a lot less in his career then Hendo. If that's the club we are dealing with we should get their first, wherever that falls.

Quote from: blue on August 24, 2015, 02:29:35 PM
I cry on the inside every time I see Eddie play for the crow

Same here. While his behavior off the field isn't exemplary at all times, he is a gun, loved by everyone and his leadership should not be underrated.

Now just a few thoughts from the game.

Kreuz was amazing, he was BOG by a country mile and the reason the game was over at half time basically. My heart skipped a beat when I saw him struggling to get off the ground in the last quarter thinking he had injured his foot again. As he was coming off he was reaching high so I figured it must be cramp and then they started rubbing down his hamstrings and doing some calf stretches.

Losing Murph was disappointing considering the extent of the injury. I guess the only positive with a shoulder is he will be able to do all the running. He was brilliant since the minute Mick was sacked. On and off the ground he has been really strong and hopefully he can be up and firing. I don't think it was a coincidence the Dees got back into the game when Murph was subbed off injured.

Jamo played his best game in a long time, he was all over Hogan. I missed last weeks flogging and from what I gather it was not his best performance all round. It was great to see him bounce back the way he did.

Boekhorst showed some flashes again. As the team improves I would expect to see him keep improving. He doesn't seem as quick as advertised but he did show some cleanness at times to go with some smart ball use and vision.

Buckley played a really good game as well, showed some hardness, dash and used the ball beautifully. One thing with Dylan is he will always show some aggression and try his ass off even if he is having a shocker. His ball use seemed to click against the Dees so his performance stood out.

Walker played his best game in a lonnnngggg time. I don't want to jinx him, but he actually looked the healthiest has been in over 12 months. He had some spring back and his kicking was spot on as well. Going into the game I thought he might be contemplating retirement at the end of the season. If we do lose 6 or so through trade, free agency and retirement I think he might stick around on a one year deal. It might not be the right decision but there is no harm in it. I don't think he holds much trade value and we will need some veteran leadership with Carrots retiring at the end of the season.

Tuohy, Bell and Curnow have all continued there relative good form. All three of these guys have probably had underrated seasons because of the position of the team but all 3 have busted their asses and played well for the majority of the last 12 weeks or so.

While Tutt's ball use wasn't great and I have been critical of him, I will give him some credit in what was a very good performance. While the kicks weren't always perfect, his vision was brilliant on a few occasions to open up the ground and spot players out of the corner of his eye breaking into space.

Everitt and Whiley were both solid, but they needed to expand their line of vision on a few occasions. There were a few instances where we had players wide open on their own and they either just flat out missed them or didn't execute properly. We got lucky on a couple of occasions like the Cripps soccer goal, but when you have a player wide open in a scoring position you need to hit them. Everitt has been pretty good all year and when the team is actually winning it's easy to get the blinkers on, but the composure needs to be there for the group to start improving. Whiley's is just a lack of experience and in the end he did find Walker on his own so it did work out.

Last one is Cripps. Kid is a beast on the inside, the one area of his game we need to keep seeing improvement is his kicking, especially forward of center to hit the scoreboard. He worked his way into dangerous positions multiple times and he probably should have had another goal before we butchered the kick to him. The initial kick should have gone to him and not Everitt, but once he can add the goal scoring to his game he may very well be unstoppable. The injuries to guys like Gibbs, Judd and Carrots  has helped his development as he could play in the middle for the majority of the season. He needs to play in the guts and if he can start resting up forward and snagging a couple we might have a top 10 player in the comp wearing Navy Blue.

Vinny

Bolton confirmed as coach for 2016. :)

Mat0369

That's a good get. Now we just need to keep Barker as an assistant

Mat0369

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-25/he-gets-our-care-in-return-blues-to-look-after-barker

Quote'He gets our care in return': Blues to look after Barker

CARLTON has pledged to take care of unsuccessful coaching candidate John Barker after he "restored the club's competitive spirit" during his 12 games as interim coach.

CEO Steven Trigg said Barker had been hit hard when the news was delivered on Monday night that he had not won the full-time position, but he had returned to work on Tuesday upbeat.

The 40-year-old will coach the Blues' final two home-and-away games this season before discussions on his future under new coach Brendon Bolton, who won a tight race for the position.

Trigg said Barker hadn't put a foot wrong since taking over from Mick Malthouse in round nine and the club "couldn't be happier" with his performance.

"He was sat on his backside last night, clearly, and it's a very difficult thing for him," Trigg said.

"But as a mark of his character he bounced in this morning determined to finish off the season in a caretaker role.

"He has done a mighty job and football clubs need to care for people like that.

"[If he stays at Carlton] is a decision for after the season, but ... he gets our care in return."

Carlton president Mark LoGiudice expressed to Barker the club's "deepest gratitude for restoring competitive spirit in team", with the Blues notching three wins under his watch and putting up fewer uncompetitive losses.

Bolton, who was unveiled at Carlton headquarters on Tuesday, said he wanted Barker to coach out the season.

The new coach plans to use the rest of the season to hold discussions on the Carlton list and his future coaching team.

Carlton's assistants include director of development and coaching Robert Wiley, Dean Laidley, Matthew Capuano, Brad Green and Northern Blues coach Luke Webster.   

"Collectively I'll need to talk to the current coaches and listen to their thoughts," Bolton said. 

"We'll make some decisions as to how we move forward. [The next two weeks] gives you good time and space to think about those things.

"I respect what 'JB' (Barker) has been doing and I want him to continue that."

Bolton said he wanted the club's players to understand he arrives with a blank canvas and didn't take on the job with pre-conceived ideas about their abilities.

He wouldn't comment on Lachie Henderson, who has requested a trade, or Chris Yarran, who becomes a free agent at the end of next season and has been the subject of much trade speculation. 

Ruckman Matthew Kreuzer, meanwhile, is a wanted player at Carlton as he approaches the end of a contract that will see him become a restricted free agent.

"For Carlton supporters who are anxious, don't be anxious," Trigg said. 

"We've had good conversations with Matthew in the last 10 days before this bit of conjecture bubbled up.

"Matthew is as happy as a lark at Carlton and wants to stay. We want him to stay and get it fixed."

I would love for him to stay on as an assistant.

Mat0369

Now onto Bolton, I haven't seen the press conference but I heard it was a good one. I find the contract situation interesting in that are no fixed years and that Trigg employed it in Adelaide as well. It can be perceived as back up to prevent the club for paying out a 5th consecutive coach and the main thing I don't like about this kind of deal is that if we are going poorly outsiders and media can potentially create a circus for a story.

This brings me to my next point, we need to give Brendon Bolton time with no expectations. Next year is effectively year one of a rebuild. We just need to enjoy wins as we get them and enjoy watching the development and improvement in the group. They will likely lose more often then not and we will probably be on the end of a few smashings, but we need to let the guys implement their system over the next few years while bring in as much young talent as possible.

Teams like the Dogs, Port and Eagles have had some quick turnarounds. West Coast are showing that if the system is good you can plug in almost anyone and cover certain deficiencies. You need to keep adjusting, improving and innovating which it seems like a message he has come to the club with. I am not expecting the quick rebuild and it seems like the rest of the supporter group and board are also willing to be patient which is good. It's been a long time since everyone has been on the same page.

We just need to sit back and enjoy the little things like the type of year Cripps is having and not stress about the losses for the next couple of years. We will hopefully have a few more contenders for the rising star award in the next few seasons.

ossie85

Find it interesting that Carlton went from the grumpiest coach ever to the happiest coach ever

Diesels Pups

Yeah we start again from here. Give Bolts time to develop this list, SOS to bring in some good young talent for Brendon to work with and I think we will be well on the way.  Please?????? make it so.

Mat0369

I just got thinking on the Hendo trade, I think it's quite possible we are the first team to receive a future first round pick. Carlton give Hendo and maybe a 4th for a 2nd this year and first next year. If the Cats aren't willing to part with pick 11 or 12 then they give us their 2nd round pick (probably be around 30 after all the FA bumps), next years first and maybe a salary dump if they need to  free up cap space. In return they get maybe 2 4th's or a 4th and a 3rd to go with Hendo.

It's a risky play on our end because if the recruiting strategy is successful for the Cats, the first rounder could be high teens next year. However if it backfires, we might make out with a better pick in return and can start staggering talent through multiple drafts.

fanTCfool

Keen to find out, who is keen on Aish?
Who or what would you give in return if so?

Mat0369

If Bell wants to go to Queensland a straight swap would be the obvious answer, but I am not sure how keen the Lions would be on that. I think Aish fits the type of player we need. He will turn 20 later this year and before he was drafted his elite disposal was talked up. I think he had some absurdly good DE% in the SANFL/Under 18's as well which is something we really desperately need. I don't really want to lose Bell at all, but if his dad is sick that's understandable and the Lions get a very good player in return for an unproven kid that doesn't want to be there.

Money Shot

Me and my mate were talking about it today and we were wondering what everyone's thoughts on Armfield and White are. Think they are best 22 or just not up too it? Could they be trade bate at all?

elephants

I'll eat my hat if anyone wants Armfield haha