British XV Round 14 (AFL Rd 17) Team and OOP Lodgements and Banter Discussion

Started by GoLions, July 11, 2016, 02:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoLions

2 more rounds to go! A few matches here can have a decent impact on the positioning of the 8!

Fixture:

Breakers vs Hawks - The Breakers came up against a rampant Owls team last week, and whilst scoring a pretty respectable score themselves, didn't even get close, and could be in danger of dropping out of the 8 if they lose their last 2 games. A win, however, would make it impossible for them to drop out. The Hawks got a must needed win over the Hedgies, and a win this week will guarantee them either a home elimination final, or a spot in the 4 if results go their way. I think the Hawks should win this one, but they are prone to a few sub-par scores here and there, so don't rule the Breakers out yet.

Knights vs Owls - The Knights were one of the lowest scoring teams last week, but still managed to get the win over the Bunnies. They have just the 4 wins so far this season, and will be looking to add another win or two to make their season seem somewhat respectable. The Owls have shown just how good they can be, but can they do it consistently enough to be a threat to the premiership? They should beat the Breakers here, but they'll have to be careful as they're only 2 points ahead of the Hawks, and could possibly drop out of the top 4 with a loss this week.

Badgers vs Bunnies - Well, last week was an interesting one for the Badgers. A lot of outs, but some of their depth players really stood up, including Jarrod Harbrow and Alex Fasolo. Unfortunately, there could be a few important personnel missing again this week. Michael Rischitelli has injured his knee and will miss the remainder of the season, Tom Liberatore is out with injured ribs, Dion Prestia and Nick Dal Santo are both in doubt, Michael Barlow may require one more week before he returns, and Shaun Higgins is still out with injury. Tom Cutler and Jesse Lonergan should be back though, in what is finally some good news for the Badgers fitness staff. Meanwhile, the Bunnies are sitting 11th, 1 game out of the 8. Unfortunately, their poor percentage means that they would have to beat both the Badgers and the Hoods to have even a tiny chance of making the top 8. It's not impossible, but you'd back the Badgers to still get over the line, and lock in a top 3 spot come finals.

Hoods vs Magic - This should be a really good match. Both teams currently sitting at 4-9, with the Magic having a slightly better percentage. I would also argue that they have been slightly unlucky, with teams such as the Bunnies, Steins, Rams, and Breakers all in the top 11, but all having scored less points for than the Magic and Hoods. The loser of this is just about guaranteed to finish inside the bottom 4, whereas the winner could get as high as 10th, as only 1 win separates 9th and 15th. The Magic have probably showed that they can score a bit better than the Hoods, but on rare occasions. With the Hoods still missing some key personnel, I think I'll back in the Magic here.

Giants vs Steins - I dunno where they came from, but the Steins are all of a sudden sitting in 9th position! They were very impressive against the Hoods last week, and who knows, they could still actually make the 8! They come up against the Giants this week, who have struggled with injuries for most of the year, but have also had the opportunity to blood some youth, who, for the most part, have been very impressive! However, I'm really liking the Steins here, and I'd love to see them make one last dash at the 8!

Hurricanes vs Werewolves - For the majority of the year, I was looking at this match as our match of the year (before finals, anyway). But, all you have to do is look at the Werewolves injury list, and you'll see why this probably won't be the case. Gary Ablett. Nat Fyfe. Jarryd Roughead. Luke Dahlhaus. Tom Bell. Sam Fisher. Jackson Thurlow. Even Toby McLean who had stepped up in the forward line. I just don't know how they can compete with an undefeated Hurricanes side, who are just missing Bob Murphy from their side. Another worry for the Werewolves is that a loss here could see them fall to 3rd if the Badgers win, and lose their chance of still finishing the year with a home final. Hurricanes should win this, and comfortably.

Leeches vs Dragons - With their percentage, the Leeches should now be locked in the top 8. However, they would want to get that home final as well, which will likely have a massive say i who wins their all important week 1 finals matchups. The Dragons are the 8th highest scoring team this season, yet sit 12th on the ladder, and would drop into the bottom 4 with another loss this week. Only 48 points separate these two teams in points for this year, so this could very well be the closest match of the round. I actually think the Dragons can win this one!

Rams vs Hedgies - The Rams have one last chance to make a push for finals and defend their premiership, and this is it. They sit 1 game and percentage behind the Hedgies, who are currently 8th on the ladder. A win this week puts them dead even, and if other results go their way, they could be a very real chance of making the 8. Lose, and it's lights out. The Hedgies would have to be a bit disappointed with how things have gone this season. They started the year scoring so well, but could barely get over the line in their games, and have started to drop off a bit in the 2nd half of the season. If they lose this, they could possibly miss the finals, even though they've been the 5th highest scoring team all year. A win though gives them a chance at a home elimination final, and I think they'll get it done against the Rams this week.

GoLions

Quick reminder that we have another Thursday lockout this week. Please let me know in advance if you'll have issues naming your team after teams are announced on Wednesday/Thursday.

Also, for those in Champs League this year, remember to post your teams there as well! I don't think PB will be accepting teams not named in the CL thread from now on, and we definitely have a few teams that can do really well I reckon!

iZander

Hasting Hurricanes

D: Brendon Goddard, Rory Laird, Zac Williams, Jasper Pittard
M: Joel Selwood (C), David Armitage (EVC), Ben Cunnington, Nathan Jones (VC)
R: Shane Mumford
F: Daniel Wells, Shane Edwards, Craig Bird, Jake Stringer
I: Jack Newnes, Stephen Hill

Jackson Trengove, Ryan Bastinac, Brandon Matera, Rory Lobb

Rusty00

Fyfe, Roughead, Dahlhaus, Bell, Fisher, Thurlow, McLean and more than likely Ablett out now as well.

gg Hurricanes

GoLions

Quote from: Rusty00 on July 11, 2016, 02:43:31 PM
Fyfe, Roughead, Dahlhaus, Bell, Fisher, Thurlow, McLean and more than likely Ablett out now as well.

gg Hurricanes
If Werewolves lose and Badgers win...Badgers could be 2nd :o

Rusty00

Quote from: GoLions on July 11, 2016, 02:45:44 PM

gg Hurricanes
Is there HGA in finals? :-X

GoLions

Quote from: Rusty00 on July 11, 2016, 02:49:06 PM
Quote from: GoLions on July 11, 2016, 02:45:44 PM

gg Hurricanes
Is there HGA in finals? :-X
I think Ringo said there would be, not sure though.

I do play the Owls next week though, so I'll probably lose that :P

iZander

gg Hurricanes
I am very fortunate to come up against you after abblets injury but ill never count out the werewolves!

Rusty00

(Potential) Milestones Games for Round 14

Drew Petrie (Hastings) 50 games
Craig Bird (Hastings) 50 games
Mitch Wallis (Hebden Bridge) 50 games
Michael Walters (Nottingham) 50 games
Daniel Rich (Swansea) 50 games

Rusty00

Ablett confirmed out for the year so now 3 years in a row I'll be without Ablett and Fyfe for finals >:(

Who wants to trade?

iZander

Quote from: Rusty00 on July 11, 2016, 07:44:10 PM
Ablett confirmed out for the year so now 3 years in a row I'll be without Ablett and Fyfe for finals >:(

Who wants to trade?

Ill take fyfe off you ;)

GoLions

Quote from: iZander on July 11, 2016, 08:28:15 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on July 11, 2016, 07:44:10 PM

Who wants to trade?

Ill take fyfe off you ;)
Zorko for me thanks

JBs-Hawks

GoLions

So apparently I might be without Riska, Libba, Prestia, and NDS this week...and that's just in my midfield :-X

GoLions