Australia vs South Africa (3 Test Series)

Started by PowerBug, October 23, 2016, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BratPack

Let's get off this topic and on to more important ones.

Like discussing how shower Nathan Lyon is.  :P

Koop

Quote from: shaker on November 07, 2016, 04:58:29 PM
Why is it that we never give young batsmen a good go in test cricket seems to me you have to be close to thirty or older before you get a look in , is it there is not many young guys good enough ?

look in to the boys club*

Bancroft - 23 averaging 37.86, admittedly out of form now but wasn't when he should've gotten a gig.
Joe Burns - 27 averaging 39.51 (41.52 in tests) and is out of form in the Shield apart from his ton last game, headspace screwed?
Jake Weatherald - 22 averaging 49.11 as an opener in limited shield opportunities. That 135 inflating his average. One to certainly watch
Jake Lehmann - 24 averaging 48.96
Hilton Cartwright - 24 averaging 50.53 in 12 matches
Nic Maddison - 24 averaging 37.61 - From NSW so would expect to see around the mark soon. Ears disproportionate to face which makes me uncomfortable
Travis Head - lol

Others include Patterson, Handscomb, Stoinis etc all averaging in the 30's.

Older guys such as Ferguson (still dunno who he pissed off to not still be playing ODI's), Bailey and Klinger still making runs too.

But don't worry though, Glenn Maxwell will be back in the team on the subcontinent, and we'll continue to persist with Shaun Marsh despite his 8 years or whatever of failed opportunities. We don't even need an AR at 6 if we have someone who can bat properly. (shock horror :o) and 1 or 2 people to take  a few overs here and there. (Which should be Steve Smiths job, but yknow, its not like every other team doesn't have someone like that or anything.)

Not sure about the stats for Tasmania or Queensland, but would expect them to be similar, but SA hasn't had a South Australian born player play a test for over 6 years. Hughes being the only one in the meantime. (and Lyon but he got money thrown at him until he came back to good old NSW) 10 of the 11 of the Australian team on the park were born in NSW or WA. :o You're telling me for 6 years SA hasn't produced a cricketer capable of pulling on the baggy green? Let alone ones moved from other states?  I mean sure we were bad for a few years but... Same probably goes for QLD and TAS but too lazy to do research.

EDIT: Queensland has had 3 since the turn of the century. MJ, Hauritz & Burns.

It's a boys/mates club, it has been for as long as I can remember, and it will continue to be until crisis hits, when we bring in someone who should've got an opportunity many moons ago (Rogers, Voges, even Ryan Harris) and we'll just rinse and repeat that formula while we bully everyone bar SA on our home decks. Surely Mennie comes in for Lyon in Hobart? Surely?

Koop

FERG IN THE TEST SQUAD YOU flowerING RIPPER FINALLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

BB67th

Interesting that Ferguson gets the call-up to cover Voges. He didn't play for Aus A in the Winter, but he may have been injured then?

I'd expect Burns to come in for the injured Marsh to partner Davey.

PowerBug

Quote from: BB67th on November 07, 2016, 10:06:41 PM
Interesting that Ferguson gets the call-up to cover Voges. He didn't play for Aus A in the Winter, but he may have been injured then?

I'd expect Burns to come in for the injured Marsh to partner Davey.
Did his ACL start of last season so I would assume yes

Bill Manspeaker

Sids has been ruled out of the 2nd test, Mennie likely to make his debut

Torpedo10

Quote from: Banned on November 08, 2016, 05:30:02 PM
Sids has been ruled out of the 2nd test, Mennie likely to make his debut
Where's Sayers?

PowerBug

Now Jackson Bird has been added to the squad. :D

So it's gone from "we are picking the same 12 with the intention that we will go with the same 11" to "we have 3 injured players and we will possibly see two debutants out there in Honart"

PowerBug

Quote from: Koop on November 07, 2016, 07:49:16 PM
Not sure about the stats for Tasmania or Queensland, but would expect them to be similar, but SA hasn't had a South Australian born player play a test for over 6 years. Hughes being the only one in the meantime. (and Lyon but he got money thrown at him until he came back to good old NSW) 10 of the 11 of the Australian team on the park were born in NSW or WA. :o You're telling me for 6 years SA hasn't produced a cricketer capable of pulling on the baggy green? Let alone ones moved from other states?  I mean sure we were bad for a few years but... Same probably goes for QLD and TAS but too lazy to do research.
I agree with basically everything else you've said, but we've been horrendous at Shield cricket and that was with a full squad, so the non selections on our players are probably justified. But now we have Ferguson, Mennie, Sayers, Lehmann, Head and I reckon it's possible that we could see them all in the Test team at some point, maybe even see 3 of them in the team at the same time!

So many things wrong with Australian cricket it's kinda laughable, but if they pick Ferguson and/or Mennie I'm barracking for Australia next test! ;D

Purple 77

There is every chance that the first 3 days might get washed out  :'( :'( :'(

shaker

Quote from: Purple 77 on November 08, 2016, 10:46:37 PM
There is every chance that the first 3 days might get washed out  :'( :'( :'(

Yes it is looking like being a bit wet , oh well it might help our brittle batting line up  :P

PowerBug

Both teams refusing to name their sides early. I think Ferguson is going to play over Mitch Marsh though! :o

"Australia have gone in with the same 12 players from the first test to the second test", and now they are going to make a change that isn't forced bringing in a player from outside that 12 ;D

Bill Manspeaker

at least they were willing to change their minds though instead of being stubborn

might not matter if what Purps said is true. flowerin rain!

PowerBug

This will be the first time that neither Steyn or De Villiers are playing in a South African test match since both players  made their debut in the same game in 2004!

Also very confident on Joe Mennie coming in for Peter Siddle. I wouldn't be surprised if they dogged Mennie and went Bird. Really want Callum to play though <3

Bill Manspeaker

man I got no chance of waking up for this

they should just always play in Perth. always. best starting time