Trade Summary

Started by ossie85, December 10, 2012, 02:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Hi all, my summary of player movements. Just one person's opinion.

Beijing

In:
Daniel Kerr
Liam Shiels
Matt Rosa
Josh Caddy
Alan Toovey
Neville Jetta
Aaron Cornelius
Sam Kerridge
Henry Schade
Lachie Neale

Out:
Shaun Grigg
Mitch Clark
Brian Lake
Steele Sidebottom
Liam Jurrah
Shane Tuck
Dom Tyson
Mitch Morton
Jay Lever
Clancee Pearce
Andrew Swallow

Draft picks:

My summary:
Initially thought of as a youth policy, but this logic disappeared when trading in Daniel Kerr, Matt Roas and Alan Toovey and trading out Steele Sidebottom, Clancee Pearce and Dom Tyson. A lot of short term pain, and Beijing rule the draft with 6 picks in the top 22.

Best new player: Josh Caddy's potential is good

Biggest loss: Steele Sidebottom, the only player under 22 averaging over 100, is a massive loss.

Berlin

In:
David Swallow
Jack Grimes
Jack Steven
Tom Lynch
Brandon Matera
Reece Conca
Cale Morton
Max Gawn
Jamie Cripps
Jack Fitzpatrick
James Sellar

Out:
Chris Knights
Michael Evans
Jack Watts
Joshua Green
Mark Seaby
Brent Moloney
Michael Walters
Will Schofield
Jeremy Howe
Paul Duffield
Sam Darley
Liam Patrick
Trent West
Sebastian Ross
Tom Downie
Tom Couch

Draft Picks:

My summary: Young guns David Swallow, Jack Grimes, Jack Steven, Brandon Matera and Reece Conca are big additions to the Brewers line-up. and they got rid of some surplus players elsewhere. A well targeted trade period, but nothing amazing.

Best new player: A player such as Jack Grimes is gold if he remains fit in the back-line

Biggest loss: Though Jack Watts and Paul Duffield have value, it's Jeremy Howe I reckon the Brewers might live to regret. Moloney and Knights could also find form at new clubs.

Buenos Aires

In:
Dean Cox
Drew Petrie
Michael Barlow
Steve Johnson
Jarred Brennan
Paul Chapman
Daniel Cross
Andrew Carrazzo
Brent Harvey
Scott D Thompson
Sam Gilbert
Shaun Burgoyne
Steven Verrier

Out:
Jared Petrenko
Nathan Vardy
Billie Smedts
Travis Boak
Jesse Stringer
Shannon Hurn
Stewart Crameri
Ben Jacobs
Josh Jenkins
Justin Westhoff
Brad McKenzie
Clay Smith
Mitch Robinson
Daniel Nicholson
David Rodan

Picks:

My summary: Sacrificing long-term stability for short-term goals could prove a masterstroke. Premium, but old, stars such as Cox, Petrie, Stevie J, Chapman, Cross, Carrazzo, Boomer, Burgoyne, Gilbert.... Is a very impressive in list as the Armadillos make a massive tilt for the flag.

Best new player: Dean Cox is such a valuable ruck as the former New York Eagle shifts to the Armadillos.

Biggest loss: Travis Boak promises to be a star, and can feel harshly done by that he was not in the Armadillos plans for the future.

Cairo

In:
Shane Mumford
Nick Dal Santo
Josh Gibson
Michael Rischitelli
Chris Newman
Dayne Beams
Hayden Ballantyne
Jared Petrenko
Shaun Grigg
Richard Douglas
David Hale
Luke Breust
Chris Knights
Lindsay Thomas
Nick Malceski
Rohan Bail
Lewis Johnston
Jarryn Geary
Eric MacKenzie
Michael Evans
Orren Stephenson
Sam Rowe
Tory Dickson

Out:
Jacob Brennan
Todd Goldstein
Jack Redden
Josh Hill
Leigh Adams
Leigh Montagna
Sharrod Wellingham
Cory Dell'Olio
Aaron Young
Hayden Crozier
Jordan Lisle
Adam Tomlinson
Chris Masten
Josh J Kennedy
Taylor Hunt
Shaun Hampson
Clinton Young
Andrew Krakouer
Sean Dempster

Picks:

My summary: What a trade period. The Cairo Sands weren't really a contender at any point last year, but that's sure to change after adding players like Shane Mumford, Nick Dal Santo and Dayne Beams.

Best new player: Dayne Beams had a break-out last year, and looks a likely captain option.

Biggest loss: Jack Redden had the potential to be a star for the future, as he finds himself shifting North to Ireland.

Cape Town

In:
Nathan Bock
Stef Martin
Jeff Garlett
Nathan Vardy
Billie Smedts
Jacob Brennan
Lee Spurr

Out:
Jack Grimes
Max Gawn
Lindsay Thomas
Sam Iles
Todd Elton

Picks:

My summary: Probably the most quiet team of the trade period as the Runner-Up showed faith in his existing squad to go one better.

Best new player: Not much to choose from, but Nathan Vardy is a player the Cobras would hope to become a valuable ruck for the future, replacing Grand Final ruckmen Lindsay Thomas!

Biggest loss: Jack Grimes is a big blow from the team's defence.

Dublin

In:
Todd Goldstein
Michael Hurley
Jack Redden
Mitch Clark
Robbie Gray
Travis Boak
Jack Watts
Alex Rance
Nathan van Berlo
Kieran Harper
Joshua Green
Jesse Stringer
Sam Docherty
Joshua Bootsma

Out:
Josh Caddy
Lachie Neale
Michael Barlow
Scott D Thompson
Shane Mumford
Nick Malceski
Callan Ward
Israel Folau
Billy Longer
Nathan Grima
Tommy Walsh
Adam Schneider

Picks:

My summary: The wooden Spooners were clearly very keen to improve a 2-win list, and was no surprised they traded heavily. But what was surprising is who they traded out, saying goodbye to the club's best players in Callan Ward and Shane Mumford, they did bring in ready made stars though with Todd Goldstein, Michael Hurley, Jack Redden and Travis Boak and still have three top 30 picks. Well done Dublin.

Best new player: Jack Redden looks to lead the Destroyers over the next few years

Biggest loss: Callan Ward was the one bright spark the Destroyers had, but the best and fairest winner finds himself on the outer.

London

In:
Jonathan Brown
Dan Hannebery
Harry O'Brien
Quentin Lynch
Josh Hill
Mark Seaby
Sam Iles
Sam Wright
Zach Tuohy
Thomas Young
Matthew Warnock
Ben Hudson
Nathan Wilson
Tom Lonergan

Out:
Cale Morton
Richard Douglas
Luke Breust
Jeff Garlett
Michael Hurley
Sam Docherty
Robert Murphy
Fraser McInnes
Stephen Hill
Bradley Sheppard
Shannon Byrnes

Picks:

My summary: Depth was the key here, and players such as Brown, Hannebery, O'Brien, Lynch and Hudson will provide depth. They did not pick up the star they wanted and lost Michael Hurley, but do have three top 20 picks,

Best new player: Dan Hannebery is a player that could break out, and lead the Royals from the wilderness.

Biggest loss: Michael Hurley is a surprising departure, and hurts the structure a lot.

Mexico City

In:
Scott Thompson
Corey Enright
Jed Adcock
Shannon Hurn
Brian Lake
Brent Moloney
Steele Sidebottom
Daniel Merrett
Stewart Crameri
Bernie Vince
Jordan Russell

Out:
Alan Toovey
Henry Schade
James Sellar
Paul Chapman
Sam Gilbert
Shaun Burgoyne
Kyle Hardingham
Josh Mellington
Martin Mattner
Garrick Ibbotson
Terry Milera
Kyle Reimers
Matthew White
Jarrad Boumann
Ben Howlett
Daniel Talia
Brock McLean
Nathan Foley

Picks:

My summary: The strong get stronger, as the Premiers give themselves the best chance of going back-to-back.

Best new player: Steele Sidebottom will be feeling like a kid in old folks home.

Biggest loss: Premiership players Chapman, Burgoyne, Ibbotson, Howlett and McLean depart, and I'd say Howlett's departure will be felt in years to come.

Moscow

In:
Nat Fyfe
Ryan Griffen
Liam Jurrah
Robert Murphy
Leigh Adams
Callan Ward
Jack Darling
Angus Monfries
Kyle Hardingham
Shane Tuck
Israel Folau
Jack Hombsch
Charlie Dixon
Michael Walters
Josh Growden
Josh Mellington
Josh Thomas
George Burbury
Dom Tyson
Fraser McInnes
Brad Dick

Out:
Sam Kerridge
Tom Lynch
Brandon Matera
Dayne Beams
Tory Dickson
Jonathan Brown
Thomas Young
Nathan Wilson
Jordan Russell
Ryan Bastinac
Tom Liberatore
Allen Christensen
Harley Bennell
Brodie Smith
Mitchell W Brown
Ben Sinclair
Matthew Panos
Jordan Roughead
Steven Morris

Picks:
Nil!

My summary: The coach of Moscow is always a bit crazy, but his madness mostly works as he welcomed stars such as Fyfe, Griffen and Ward, but let go of All-Worlds player Dayne Beams and rising youngster Harley Bennell. No picks either! Think did well overall, but fair to say the Israel Folau gamble hasn't paid off!

Best new player: Nat Fyfe is already a superstar, and will continue to be one

Biggest loss: Dayne Beams didn't do much wrong, but is shipped off.

New Delhi

In:
Leigh Montagna
Sharrod Wellingham
Simon Black
Jarryd Blair
Martin Mattner
Brent Renouf
Ryan Bastinac
Jake Melksham
Ben Jacobs
Garrick Ibbotson
Ben Rutten
Terry Milera
Josh Toy
Kyle Reimers
George Horlin-Smith
Lewis Roberts-Thomson
Matthew White
Jarrad Boumann
Cory Dell'Olio
Kyal Horsley

Out:
Brent Harvey
Nick Dal Santo
Jarryn Geary
Orren Stephenson
Nathan Bock
Corey Enright
Daniel Merrett
Tom Rockliff
Jackson Trengove
Jared Polec
Matthew Buntine
Brett Ebert
Dayne Zorko
Ben Mabon

Picks:

My summary: A mish mash of results.... Traded out old guy Boomer Harvey, traded in old guy Simon Black. Said goodbye to Nick Dal Santo, took in Leigh Montagna. Hard to gauge the plan, maybe time will tell? Not confident in this method. 2 top 17 picks.

Best New Player: If a forward, Jarryd Blair has some real worth

Biggest loss: Nick Dal Santo is a premium midfielder, and a legit captain choice disappears

New York

In:
Travis Cloke
Sam Fisher
Mitch Morton
Tom Liberatore
Trent McKenzie
Allen Christensen
Dion Prestia
Harley Bennell
Jonathan Giles
Brodie Smith
Koby Stevens
Mitchell W Brown
Josh Jenkins
Ben Sinclair
Will Schofield
Aaron Young
Todd Elton
Hayden Crozier

Out:
Dean Cox
Steven Verrier
Michael Rischitelli
Lewis Johnston
Stef Martin
Bernie Vince
Nat Fyfe
Jack Darling
Jack Hombsch
Jake Melksham
Kyal Horsley
Shane Savage
Ahmed Saad
Matthew de Boer
Claye Beams
Shane Kersten
Alex Fasolo
Nicholas O'Brien
Ben Cunnington

Picks:

My summary: Bringing in Cloke, Bennell and Giles are big strengths... but they lost Cox, Fyfe and the #2 pick. Not sure on New York, but they were aggressive.

Best new player: I love Harley Bennell, think he is a genuine star in the making, but Travis Cloke could surprise. Many people believe Cloke had a bad 2012, but still managed to lead the league in contested marks and kick 50 goals. What happens when he has a good one?

Biggest loss: You would have had to pry Nat Fyfe from my cold, dead hands.

Pacific

In:
Tom Rockliff
Matthew Leuenberger
Chris Dawes
Shane Savage
Ahmed Saad
Jeremy Howe
Ben Howlett
Sam Blease
Rhys Stanley
Daniel Talia
Thomas Bugg
Matthew de Boer
Jordan Lisle
Claye Beams
Billy Longer
Adam Tomlinson
Jackson Paine

Out:
Daniel Kerr
David Swallow
Drew Petrie
Josh Gibson
Lee Spurr
Quentin Lynch
Simon Black
Lewis Roberts-Thomson
Dion Prestia
Andrew Walker
Jack Newnes
Chris Judd
Nick Suban
Jacob Townsend
Darren Jolly
Levi Greenwood
Nick Smith

Picks:

My summary: Picks 5 and 6 is a good hand to have, and Rockliff and Leuey have the capacity to be great. BUT the Pacific lost there core (Judd, Petrie, Swallow, Jolly) and the immediate future looks bleak, but long term gain could be the key!

Best new player: Matt Leuenberger seems a terrific medium-to-long-term prospect.

Biggest loss: I could say Judd, Swallow or Petrie but I'm going to say Josh Gibson. Trading out 6 defenders leaves the Pacific's best defenders from last year as Thomas Bugg, Tim Mohr, Matthew Watson and Matthew Jaensch - none of which average over 70.

PNL

In:
Jackson Trengove
Justin Westhoff
Phil Davis
Jonathon Griffin
Matthew Panos
Ayce Cordy
Jonathon Patton
Brad McKenzie
Clay Smith
Elliott Kavanagh

Out:
Steve Johnson
Chris Newman
Rohan Bail
George Horlin-Smith
Jackson Paine
Tendai Mzungu

Picks:

My summary: A quiet period relatively, the Reindeers worked on there spine bringing in Patton, Davis, Trengove and Griffin and getting rid of old boys Newman and Johnson.

Best new player: General Patton is a player for the future.

Biggest loss: Stevie J, even old, provides a big boost in the forward line.

Sao Paulo

In:
Andrew Walker
Stephen Hill
Jack Gunston
Jared Polec
Chris Masten
Bradley Sheppard
Matthew Buntine
Taylor Adams
Shane Kersten

Out:
Daniel Cross
Dan Hannebery
Zach Tuohy
Josh Growden
Jarryd Blair
Sam Fisher
Jonathon Griffin
Steven Motlop
Rory Thompson

Picks:

My summary: Wasn't a lot wrong with the Pumas last year, and this trading period reflected it - bringing in a lot of players with potential, while letting go of some experienced heads like Cross or Hannebery.

Best new player: Jack Gunston is the perfect kind of player for the Pumas, and this guy could develop to a long-term star.

Biggest loss: Jarryd Blair is the little guy that keeps on going, and could be missed. The Pumas held onto there stars.

Seoul

In:
Josh J Kennedy
Paul Duffield
Joel Corey
Heath Hocking
Jordan Roughead
Taylor Hunt
Sam Darley
Brett Ebert
Liam Patrick
Brandon Ellis
Jack Newnes
Jay Lever
Clancee Pearce

Out:
Jack Steven
Hayden Ballantyne
Eric MacKenzie
Harry O'Brien
Matthew Warnock
Tom Lonergan
Ryan Griffen
Charlie Dixon
Josh Thomas
George Burbury
Brad Dick
Brent Renouf
Ben Rutten
Chris Dawes
Rhys Stanley

Picks:

My summary: The change of coach was huge, with the foundation coach chucking a hissy fit before Spinking took the reigns. JJ Kennedy, Duffield and Pearce should all be starting 15 players, but the loss of Griffen, Steven and a bunch of forwards could hurt.

Best new player: Forwards are rare, and JJ Kennedy if he gets fit will slot in nicely.

Biggest loss: Ryan Griffen was the club's best midfielder last year, but the loss of depth forwards will hurt. Leaving the club with JJ Kennedy, C Pearce, Macaffer, Brett Ebert and Alwyn Davey as the core forwards.

Tokyo

In:
Chris Judd
Sam Mitchell
Trent West
Jared Rivers
Alex Fasolo
Ted Richards
Nick Suban
Shaun Hampson
Steven Motlop
Jacob Townsend
Sebastian Ross
Nicholas O'Brien

Out:
Liam Shiels
Neville Jetta
Sam Rowe
Travis Cloke
Trent McKenzie
Koby Stevens
Matthew Leuenberger
Sam Blease
Phil Davis
Ayce Cordy
Jonathon Patton
Jack Gunston
Heath Hocking

Picks:

My summary: Judd and Mitchell are brilliant ins, and the club has a big presence in the national draft.

Best new player: Sam Mitchell and Chris Judd have been stars for years, hard to separate the two.

Biggest loss: Matt Leuenberger leaves Tokyo's ruck division pretty thin.

Toronto

In:
Andrew Swallow
Darren Jolly
Mitch Robinson
Nathan Grima
Dayne Zorko
Tommy Walsh
Ben Cunnington
Sam Butler
Steven Morris
Daniel Nicholson
Clinton Young
Levi Greenwood
David Rodan
Brock McLean
Ben Mabon

Out:
Andrew Carrazzo
David Hale
Robbie Gray
Nathan van Berlo
Kieran Harper
Joshua Bootsma
Sam Wright
Ben Hudson
Angus Monfries
Josh Toy
Taylor Adams
Sam Mitchell
Jared Rivers
Ted Richards
Rohan Bewick

Picks:

My summary: If you talk to the Toronto coach, he'd be happy to trade out his entire team if he got Andrew Swallow! Nice period bringing in some established and young players.

Best new player: Andrew Swallow is a potential Captain

Biggest loss: But Swallow came at a price, losing Mitchell.

Wellington

In:
Nathan Foley
Adam Schneider
Tendai Mzungu
Andrew Krakouer
Nick Smith
Rory Thompson
Rohan Bewick
Shannon Byrnes
Sean Dempster
Tom Downie
Tom Couch

Out:
Aaron Cornelius
Reece Conca
Jack Fitzpatrick
Jarred Brennan
Alex Rance
Scott Thompson
Jed Adcock
Jonathan Giles
Thomas Bugg
Elliott Kavanagh
Joel Corey
Brandon Ellis
Sam Butler

Picks:

My summary: Snagging the top 2 picks in the draft is incredible, but was the price too high? The loss of Rance, Adcock, Ellis and Thompson leaves defence a bit thin.

Best new player: Lachie Whitfield - surely will be taken with pick 1 or pick 2?

Biggest loss: Alex Rance is a player of the future and rare to get as a defender.

So who did the best?

Purple 77

Fantastic write-up oz! Think your summary of my and every others' performance was spot-on.

Honestly think Dublin did the best IMO, or even Cairo.

Don't think there is any standouts though, just teams that did better than others

CrowsFan

Nice write up ossie. Interesting you say Blair is my biggest loss, I probably would have said Hannebery. But you would well prove to be right, now that Zaha is a mid and Whitecross missing the most of the season I may end up regretting losing him (even though he was one I wanted to get rid of from the start)...

MajorLazer

Fantastic write up, Os.  ;D

Really felt like we needed to be aggressive to make sure we don't finish in the lower parts of the ladder in 2013.

Ringo

Well written up os.  Agree with what you have said for the Royals and we are rebuilding and with 3 picks in the top 20 will add further depth.  Mid field finish this year would be a great achievement.

Traded Hurley for picks 20 and 22,  Steven Morris was picked up for pick 22 so depending who is gained with pick 20 will decide the viability of the Hurley trade.

Initially did not have a lot to give up so had to give up some prem type players to make headway.

Holz

great read ossie,

Im pretty stoked with this trade period I think i managed to turn my team from the spooners to a middle of pack, without sacrifcying too much.

I think getting Clark and Hurley for essentially caddy and early 2nd round picks were hte big win.

I could of had pick 1 and 5 and really set myself up for the future in the mids but i think Gray Harper Rance and Pick 10 might prove to be better.

The Chappy Nroo Burgoyne for Ward Longer Eski deal last year which was almost rejected got me Redden Gray Harper Docherty this year so that tells you, you never know how well you have traded till the year after.

Im down to 4 playing mids though so sucess hinges on picking up 3 good mids with 10 24 and 30.

Boomz

Great write up. Agree that Luey is my biggest loss but I reckon the inclusions of Judd & Mitchell more than make up for it. Happy with the young guys and depth I got in as well.

Torpedo10

Great writeup, let's hope the 2nd trade period is a good one for the Tigers.  :)

roo boys!

Great stuff Oss!

What you say about Swallow is right :P

meow meow

Moscow had 4 targets heading into the trade period:

1. Jack Hombsch (again)
2. Dom Tyson
3. Jack Darling
4. Ryan Griffen (again)

Plenty of other stuff happened. If I had the choice of Beams or Fyfe, I would take Fyfe so losing Dayne doesn't kill me.

Bennell was a case of buy low, sell high. I'm sure he'll be a mid only, and Griffen will score more than Harley so it improves the best 22. I'm tipping Tyson to have the same sort of 2nd year, also listed as a fwd/mid if the gurus know what's what.

Shane Tuck is our best mid based on 2012 and there has been very little mention of gaining a Boyd-like player who never gets the kudos he deserves. Yes, he is old, but keep in mind who is father is. His mother's brother also played for a while and was half decent in his 30's.

Who needs picks when we have under 21's Treloar, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Darling, Hombsch, Sexton, Allen, and soon to be signed Sam Colquhoun on the list? Ward, Fyfe and Naitanui aren't exactly past their prime either.

We have kept our first 4 picks of the WXV draft (#5 was traded last year for Treloar) and brought in another first and second rounder (Fyfe, Griffen) so the core of Moscow is very much intact.

Maca24

Quote from: Torpedo10 on December 10, 2012, 05:23:50 PM
Great writeup, let's hope the 2nd trade period is a good one for the Tigers.  :)
The damage has been done :/

Great work Ossie!
I might be biased but I think Mexico, Cairo, Moscow and Tokyo won this period.

My Chumps

Awesome stuff Ossie!

I think I've stated before that looking back on the trade period I wish I hadn't have traded Grimes, although at the time I was desperate for another ruckman after my Grand Final debacle. Looking at my ins-and-outs though I'm pretty happy with the whole period.

Originally lost some youth with Gawn + Elton departing, but Vardy, Smedts and Brennan are more than suitable long term replacements.

Didn't lose anyone else of importance (Lindsay Thomas + the now delisted Iles), so I effectively traded Grimes for Bock, Spurr, Garlett and Martin. That sounds alright to me.