Where is Geelong at? Can we match it with the best anymore? Video here!

Started by shorty3264, April 13, 2015, 11:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman the 2nd

Not sure what game you were watching either. Duncan had the highest DE of any players over 20+ disposals, he had a great game. Shaw had the most marks on the field from under a half of football, you can't ask for much more than that.

Gold Coast played a lot more towards their potential and Geelong had 3 key players injured in one match. You're taking way too much away from the first 2 rounds of football.

The only negatives for Geelong were Murdoch and Cockatoo, who have poor form so far. You have to remember that Geelong lost to Hawthorn and Fremantle in the first two rounds, really not something to get worked up about

ossie85

Geelong can still beat anyone on its day...

But I don't think they have the capacity to win 3 finals.

Early days though

powersuperkents

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on April 19, 2015, 08:18:02 PM
Not sure what game you were watching either. Duncan had the highest DE of any players over 20+ disposals, he had a great game. Shaw had the most marks on the field from under a half of football, you can't ask for much more than that.

Gold Coast played a lot more towards their potential and Geelong had 3 key players injured in one match. You're taking way too much away from the first 2 rounds of football.

The only negatives for Geelong were Murdoch and Cockatoo, who have poor form so far. You have to remember that Geelong lost to Hawthorn and Fremantle in the first two rounds, really not something to get worked up about
Not referring to this game (his first two rounds were substandard). With the first two games, it's not about losing, it was about the way in which they lost. Horrible performances against both sides with Freo & Hawthorn beating them with minimal effort. Objectively, I think the Cats should make the 8, but in doing so they can't play like they have these first three games. The injuries were obviously tough, but it isn't really an excuse when you are playing one of the worst teams in the comp. at your home ground - it's not even the scoreline that was the issue, it's the fact that the Suns dominated most of the play.

@Ossie85, I agree, I just think they are less likely to beat anyone on their day then they were a few years ago.

Overall, Geelong can make the 8 quite easily. However, if they continue to play like they have, opposition sides that are contending for the 8 (i.e. Richmond, Essendon, & Adelaide, & I would even consider the Bulldogs, Melbourne, GWS, & Collingwood all punting for the 7th/8th position (although it's incredibly unlikely) will not hesitate to take the win (the desperate teams tend to fight the hardest). I would rank Geelong in the 1-6 bracket (along with Nth, Port, Haw, Freo, & Syd). But if they continue this form, Essendon, Adelaide, Richmond, or even the Bulldogs (long shot but Port did the same thing to Collingwood in 2013) will take the opportunity. All I am saying is that the way they played today, was not of the same standard as the other higher tier sides (and below that of the top 8 contenders). Overall, this is only my opinion, and again, like Mailman said, it is only round 3, but I'm sure that Geelong's players & fans alike would want to see some improvement next week. I think we'll really be able to see where they are at against North Melbourne next week (I would only say there is a real problem if North beat them by +40)

shorty3264

It's a great debate, because Geelong is transitioning to its next generation and people still feel the need to judge them as a premiership outfit.

Geelong CAN make the eight. But I think the form they are in now won't do it. Great to get a win don't get me wrong and I think the celebrations were a by-product of a side desperate to just get the four points. Gutsy effort with the injuries.

But I simply feel we rely on too few. Again Selwood was masterful, dragging us over the line. We need second tier players in Duncan, Caddy, GHS, Murdoch, Guthrie to really step up. I think a few can, but again we need better week to week performances from these guys. Not to mention our clearance work is abysmal. Gregson is exciting, Cockatoo is too, he hasn't been given a crack at it yet. Forward set up I like as well as being a huge rap for Motlop and Blicavs (two second tier players leading the way). I also rate Thurlow very high.

Gone of the days where we are a top side. But if we can string it all together you never know, a finals berth is well within the realms of possibility. After all, it is only April.

shorty3264

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkxzRYztjLI

Here is the weekly video my mate and I do. I think we sum it up fairly well here. Positives of course but the negatives still linger.

Dudge

Quote from: shorty3264 on April 20, 2015, 11:42:23 AM

Here is the weekly video my mate and I do. I think we sum it up fairly well here. Positives of course but the negatives still linger.

I gather you're the " shorty " one of the two :P

shorty3264

Quote from: Dudge on April 20, 2015, 03:19:51 PM
Quote from: shorty3264 on April 20, 2015, 11:42:23 AM

I gather you're the " shorty " one of the two :P
Hahah yes you guessed it :P
Cheers for checking it out mate

powersuperkents

Done well over the past three weeks and shown over the past two weeks they can finish (the only issue of the Nth Melb match). Definite top 8 side this season and the young players are starting to contribute (I think all they needed was for some veterans to move aside - i.e. injuries). Murdoch, Gregson, Blicavs & Duncan (the latter two I think are their best) have been fantastic. Enright, Rivers, Taylor etc. have been great (I honestly thought this season would be their decline - but it's one of Enright's best to date so far).

I like how Scott isn't afraid to drop the players performing poorly, and he knows exactly who to drop (Simpson & GHS are good examples - and giving Stevie J the vest haha). Huge improvements over the last 3. I think the Nth Melb game reinvigorated their confidence (as they kept close to an elite team while missing most of their veterans). Hoping that Duncan & Enright's form continues (both in my SC team)  ;)

Enjoyed watching them over the last three weeks (poor start could have been due to the ridiculous draw the AFL gave to the top 6 sides - as a Port supporter I can understand how frustrating the start was when inferior teams coasted through (e.g. the Crows, Collingwood, WCE, GWS etc. - however, I do think the Bulldogs are the real deal as they have player both Hawthorn & Sydney - defeating the latter)