Main Menu

Round 5 Melbourne vs Fremantle

Started by Barra13, April 30, 2015, 07:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

GASP by The Oracle

Whilst it's true that Richmond was in red hot form coming off a 79-point shellacking of Brisbane a week earlier, this week's opponent is absolutely white hot having demolished all before it this season including the Swans last week after a withering opening half. Before that, Ross Lyon's charges had beaten Port Adelaide in the season opener, Geelong at Simonds Stadium and crushed the Eagles in the local derby. That's a pretty comprehensive record against solid opposition in three of last year's finalists.

Melbourne's task this week looks even more daunting when one looks at its incredibly dismal recent record against Fremantle. There was a time not all that long ago, when these teams had a reasonably even record in games against each other but since their meeting at the G in mid-2011 when Melbourne demolished an injury-depleted opposition by 79 points, it's been a one way street in favour of the purple army with five consecutive routs, the closest game being a 34 point win to the Dockers at Etihad in 2012.

Since then, the Dees' highest score in four matches has been ... wait for it ... 40 points. For the record, here is the list of the last four strangulations inflicted upon them by Freo, the last three while Lyon has been the coach:

R16, 2014, Fremantle 15.7 (97) d Melbourne 4.10 (34) at TIO Stadium

R21, 2013, Fremantle 20.13 (133) d Melbourne 5.8 (38) at the MCG

R9, 2013, Fremantle 19.16 (130) d Melbourne 6.4 (40) at Subiaco Oval

R23, 2012, Fremantle 14.17 (101) d Melbourne 5.10 (40) at Subiaco Oval

That's an incredible average of 5 goals 8 behinds 38 points a game at three different venues against a team that boasts one of the biggest, strongest and best midfields in the game, to say nothing of its defence which kept last year's grand finallist, a team with Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett in its forward line, down to one goal in the first half last week.

Gasp.

THE GAME

Melbourne v Fremantle at the MCG Sunday 3 May 2015 at 1.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall: Melbourne 13 wins Fremantle 19 wins

At MCG: Melbourne 7 wins Fremantle 5 wins

Last Five meetings: Melbourne 0 wins Fremantle 5 wins

The Coaches: Roos 0 wins Lyon 1 win

MEDIA

TV - Fox Footy Channel at 1:00pm (live)

THE BETTING Melbourne $4.85 to win Fremantle $1.15 to win

LAST TIME THEY MET

Fremantle 15.7.97 defeated Melbourne 4.10.34 at TIO Stadium, Round 16, 2014

The Demons were at a low ebb in terms of confidence and self-belief and put in a shocker against the Dockers managing only a single goal in the opening half at TIO Stadium. Looking at the match stats, it was little wonder that the defeat was so comprehensive - Freo won the disposal count (392-315); marks (95-71) and inside 50s (60-32).

TEAMS

MELBOURNE

B: Colin Garland, Tom McDonald, Jeremy Howe
HB: Christian Salem, Lynden Dunn, Jack Grimes
C: Heritier Lumumba, Bernie Vince, Daniel Cross
HF: Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan, Jay Kennedy-Harris
F: Jack Watts, Chris Dawes, Angus Brayshaw
FOLL: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson
I/C: Jordie McKenzie, Viv Michie, Ben Newton, Aaron vandenBerg
EMG: Cameron Pedersen Aidan Riley, Jake Spencer

IN: Jack Grimes, Jordie McKenzie,

OUT: Neville Jetta (concussion), Dean Kent (hamstring)

FREMANTLE

B: Cameron Sutcliffe, Luke McPharlin, Lee Spurr
HB: Garrick Ibbotson, Michael Johnson, Nick Suban
C: Paul Duffield, Nat Fyfe, Matt de Boer
HF: Danyle Pearce, Matthew Pavlich, Matt Taberne
F: Zac Clarke, Chris Mayne, Michael Walters
FOLL: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Stephen Hill
I/C (from): Hayden Ballantyne, Michael Barlow, Lachie Neale, Clancee Pearce
EMG: Hayden Crozier, Jack Hannath, Tendai Mzungu

IN: Hayden Ballantyne

OUT: Tendai Mzungu

Purple 77

Gee those scores are terrible...

Even if we still end up getting around 40 points, if Freo get 60 then that's a huge improvement.

Also, I'm glad we haven't brought in Toumpas, and that Grimes is definitely in. I hope big Cam makes the final cut. Also, Watts' 100th this weekend  :D has there even been a more criticised 100 games?

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 30, 2015, 08:50:49 PM
Gee those scores are terrible...

Even if we still end up getting around 40 points, if Freo get 60 then that's a huge improvement.

Also, I'm glad we haven't brought in Toumpas, and that Grimes is definitely in. I hope big Cam makes the final cut. Also, Watts' 100th this weekend  :D has there even been a more criticised 100 games?

If I didn't follow footy there is a good chance I would think his first name is 'Maligned'

Barra13

The previous scores are pretty much 100 and over if we can keep them to 80ish and be within 20 points it would still be a decent effort in my eyes.

Barra13

Updated the first post. Interesting to see Jordie make the cut. It wonder if  he has a hard tag on Hill and Bernie takes Fyfe. Will be some nice match ups.

Big Mac

Wow - Mckenzie made it?

Damn...Roos must have something in mind for him

Barra13

Yeah I'm not really looking forward to Mckenzie being there, but I'm looking forward to see with what setup Roos goes for with him as they haven't done this in the "new look" team yet.

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 01, 2015, 06:33:32 PM
Wow - Mckenzie made it?

Exactly my reaction.

After some thought, I think I concluded that, with Jetta and Viney not available for negating duties, he'll come in for that.

Who does he go to? Mundy? Hill? Barlow? Assuming Vince takes Foife?

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 01, 2015, 09:48:22 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on May 01, 2015, 06:33:32 PM
Wow - Mckenzie made it?

Exactly my reaction.

After some thought, I think I concluded that, with Jetta and Viney not available for negating duties, he'll come in for that.

Who does he go to? Mundy? Hill? Barlow? Assuming Vince takes Foife?

I think Mckenzie might actually go to Fyfe

Just doesn't make sense to have two players negating in the mids