Main Menu

What grinds your gears ?

Started by strikes91, August 28, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: SilverLion on June 27, 2018, 11:06:03 PM
Also, I'm over the media's love affair with Rance.

"The General, All-Australian Captain."
"The best defender in the comp."
"The best defender of our generation."
Etc.

Every time he does anything that you'd expect a key defender to do, it's like it's a super-human act.

So overrated it isn't even funny. He's good, but far from a standout. Tarrant, Talia, Andrews, McGovern, Grundy, Jonas, Hurley etc. are all just as good.

I dunno, maybe he does stuff that none of these guys do, but I don't see it.

he might not be the #1 defender every individual year but pretty much he has been in the top 5 defender every year for the last 7-8 years. Plus he has been All Australian the last 4 years straight and will likely make it to his 5th year in a row.

All those guys you mentioned you could put up a case are as good or possibly even slightly better for a individual year but nobody in my opinion comes close to him over a 5-8 year stretch, thats why he is the best defender of this generation.

Regarding that game against Melksham, the goals arent really that important given the Tigers won very easily and the thing about Rance is he just doesn't shut down his opponent and do nothing else.

The guy had 11 contested possessions at a very high efficiency 90%, picked up 8 marks, 4 R50s and then had 11 1%ers. I dont see much wrong in talking about the good stuff he did when his team won by 50 or so points.

meow meow

Purple 77

The guy whacked watts on the back of the head whilst he was on the ground. Plenty of character reference right there, despite the commentators immediately saying "oh there's the sign of a guy who has tried his heart out for his club"

But, I guess we're just trying to knock "a great of the game"

Torpedo10

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 03, 2018, 06:58:03 PM
The guy whacked watts on the back of the head whilst he was on the ground. Plenty of character reference right there, despite the commentators immediately saying "oh there's the sign of a guy who has tried his heart out for his club"

But, I guess we're just trying to knock "a great of the game"
I remember this and when it happened, all I could think about was how much of a dog act it was. No excuses.

He was in my SC team at the time, traded him and he has never since been, and never will be in any of my fantasy sides ever again.

Adamant

When a player kicks 2.3 and the commentators say "if he didn't miss those set shots he would have kicked a bag". No, you can not predict what would have happened in an alternate outcome. Mabye it wouldn't have changed a thing. Mabye if the player kicked that earlier set shot he wouldn't have kicked the following goal that resulted in a clanger kick-in where his teammate hit him on the chest just 15 seconds later.

That goes for other sports too.

Rusty00

Quote from: Adamant on July 05, 2018, 04:29:28 PM
When a player kicks 2.3 and the commentators say "if he didn't miss those set shots he would have kicked a bag". No, you can not predict what would have happened in an alternate outcome. Mabye it wouldn't have changed a thing. Mabye if the player kicked that earlier set shot he wouldn't have kicked the following goal that resulted in a clanger kick-in where his teammate hit him on the chest just 15 seconds later.

That goes for other sports too.
Mine is when a forward kicks 1.5 or the like and everyone says the defender did a great job keeping him to 1 goal. No he didn't, the forward kept himself to 1 goal.

Rusty00

Man I hate the way they interpret these 50m penalties for “being in the protected space”!

meow meow

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: meow meow on July 05, 2018, 10:47:49 PM
His name is not Menengola
how long before they start calling him Menengolas

Gandalf123

Quote from: Rusty00 on July 05, 2018, 09:48:17 PM
Man I hate the way they interpret these 50m penalties for “being in the protected space”!

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Gandalf123 on July 06, 2018, 10:12:24 AM

Without doubt the most stupid rule ever created, and the penalty for the action is beyond ridiculous

I seriously hope they scrub that "rule" asap

fanTCfool

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on July 05, 2018, 10:58:28 PM

Menengola gets me every time, they say it more often than Jack Stevens

Ringo

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on July 06, 2018, 10:56:42 AM
Quote from: Gandalf123 on July 06, 2018, 10:12:24 AM

Without doubt the most stupid rule ever created, and the penalty for the action is beyond ridiculous

I seriously hope they scrub that "rule" asap
+ 1 Here Last night think we seen it at its worst and not even consistently applied. Surely the rule can be applied to any player that interfere with play in the protected area will incur a 50 metre penalty.
Also hate the continuous changes to rules and intepratations.  Looks like the last two weeks was HTB with the number of quick whistles blown.
Would like for at least one season for rules to be left alone. Already speculation now for next year on the easing of congestion.

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: fanTCfool on July 06, 2018, 11:59:14 AM
Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on July 05, 2018, 10:58:28 PM

Menengola gets me every time, they say it more often than Jack Stevens
they don't say nothing more than Jack Stevens

meow meow