Toga's Team Tracker 2014!

Started by Toga, October 29, 2013, 09:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

A place that I'll try to keep track of all drafts, changes and research I come up with for my 2014 Dream Team! Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated! :)

Directory:

29.10.13 - First Draft

1.11.13 - Second Draft: Post-Fixture Release

26.11.13 - Third Draft: Post-National Draft Edition

Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated! Bring on 2014! :)

Mr.Craig

No surprises with the backs and forwards, rucks rather risky. Just out of curiousity, what do you think Fyfe and Sloane will average?

Toga

29.10.13 - First Draft

DEF: J.McVeigh, P.Hanley, G.Birchall, R.Henderson, M.Suckling, M.Scharenberg (J.Battersby, Z.Jones)

MID: S.Pendlebury, D.Beams, T.Cotchin, N.Fyfe, R.Sloane, D.Tyson, L.McDonald, J.Aish (M.Crouch, J.Martin)

RUC: N.Naitanui, H.McIntosh (N.Vardy, L.McBean)

FWD: T.Rockliff, C.Wingard, A.Christensen, L.Franklin, V.Michie, J.Hogan (S.Kersten, B.Lennon)

Salary Cap: $18,200

Comments: The first draft for 2014! Just a starter to fiddle around with over the off-season really... The midfield might have to change, with some question marks over most of the fellas in there, however I think Cotch, Fyfe & Sloane can all really step up their games in 2014 and become true premiums. I've gone with four premiums (five including Suckling) down back, and only four up forwards because at this stage I have more confidence in the forward rookies job security and potential scoring.

Why do you see the rucks as risky Craigy? I'm thinking one of Hmac & Vardy will play each week, do you think injury risk is too high? :-[

As for Fyfe and Sloane... I think it's pretty plausible that Fyfey can get up closer to around the 104 mark as he continues to develop as a player and with some more grunt in along side him in Syvlia... But the main thing that appeals to me is he is pretty damn consistent! Only two scores about 130, but 12 scores above 95!

Sloane I'm not so sure about but I think that with Dangerfield moving back into the middle permanently now that the Crows have some more options up forwards should see Sloaney improve as well, I'm thinking up around the 100 mark... I'm not by any means sold on these blokes and I'll probably swap one of them for Marc Murphy (I might start the season without both), but I can certainly see improvement in both of them ahead of next season!

Vinny

I ready somewhere that Vardy will play up forward and HMac and Simpson in the ruck, so I think you are fine there. Pretty sure the article came from Geelong FC. I love the Sloaney and Fyfe picks as a couple of PODS. Obviously the come with risks and there may be better options out there, but they are both young and improving.

No Selwood, Swan or Ablett?! Think you need at least one to go alongside Pendles. Only other thing is Ricky Henderson mate. I am not sold on him yet. His role could quite easily change.

Nice start Toga! :)

Toga

Thanks for the comment vinn!

Yeah I figure at least one will play every week... Otherwise I could look at swapping one with a rookie & one with another premium, or just Billy Longer or something... I'm sure this will change leading up to Round 1 about a billion times :P

Yeah I like the two lads as POD's as well but yep, I am a bit worried about not having another super-dooper captain option there so will probably have to have a play around there as well :-\

As for Ricky he was a 50/50 against Sam Docherty as to which one I chose... I read in the Adelaide news somewhere that recruiting Betts & JPod will allow Ricky to play completely down back next season which is where he scored his best, but as you say his versatility does make him risky... Could be worth swapping Henderson --> Docherty and Sloane --> GAJ/Swan/Selwood maybe!

Cheers for the insight! 8)

Vinny

No worries man! Yeah I like those two moves mate. Sounds good.

Jukes

I traded Fyfe in worlds, he average 80! haha. He's a Claremont gun and a super player but can only see him gaining around 5-7 points on his 2013 average- guys like MM will probably gain in average more for a similar price. Again, Sloane won't jump that much higher, 100 seems about right hopefully. Him and Sloane are nice POD mid premos who are safe picks.

No bombers players, should be illegal!

Vardy at 244k a bit expensive for a benchie? I know he's there to support Ham Mac but I'd prefer to take a rookie and a safe gun like Leuey and Lobb or something.

Quote from: vinny on October 29, 2013, 10:22:25 PM
No Selwood, Swan or Ablett?! Think you need at least one to go alongside Pendles. Only other thing is Ricky Henderson mate. I am not sold on him yet. His role could quite easily change.

All will stay the same average (Selwood) or drop (Swan and Spudlett), that vital mid premo spot is much better used on a guy like Cotch or Beams who will score very good and increase in price a lot.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Toga on October 29, 2013, 10:12:47 PM
Why do you see the rucks as risky Craigy? I'm thinking one of Hmac & Vardy will play each week, do you think injury risk is too high? :-[

As for Fyfe and Sloane... I think it's pretty plausible that Fyfey can get up closer to around the 104 mark as he continues to develop as a player and with some more grunt in along side him in Syvlia... But the main thing that appeals to me is he is pretty damn consistent! Only two scores about 130, but 12 scores above 95!

Sloane I'm not so sure about but I think that with Dangerfield moving back into the middle permanently now that the Crows have some more options up forwards should see Sloaney improve as well, I'm thinking up around the 100 mark... I'm not by any means sold on these blokes and I'll probably swap one of them for Marc Murphy (I might start the season without both), but I can certainly see improvement in both of them ahead of next season!

H-Mac...he's a complete unknown at this point. Would need to blow the pre-season out of the water to be considered in my opinion.

Agree with Fyfe's consistency. 104 sounds about right. Certainly could be worth it.

Sloane...I like his ceiling but when he puts in half a dozen sub-100 games in a row that has to be a concern. I know he's still young but I'm not sure there's a huge amount of improvement to be had in his scoring. A prediction of 100 is about on the mark but I don't think that would be enough for me. But you know, 44 trades and all that jazz - if he blasts in the first part of the season you could sideways to a more consistent player, keep riding the wave or alternatively if things don't go right just ditch him. Not a great deal to lose.

Toga

Thanks guys!

Yeah agree with you Jukes that Fyfey & Sloane, while they may be good POD's, might not increase in average enough to be worthy of selection... And Craigy, absolutely - I think Fyfe's consistency paired with the potential for him to improve makes him worthy of selection in my eyes, but as you say Sloane probably doesn't have as much room for improvement and (I didn't even realise) he has hot & cold patches... Thinking at the moment it might be worth getting rid of Sloane for Murphy in the next draft I do, will wait a while before I do that though :P

Yeah that's completely fair enough about H-Mac, I would've thought 12 months out of the game and he'd just about be able to have his body on the right track again but come to think about it I didn't even hear of him being close to returning last season so who knows... I will re-evaluate later in the off-season but I may be better off jumping on a rookie like Lobb & another premium, or grabbing Longer if he looks like becoming a regular at the Saints.

I'm gonna make notes of changes that cross my mind as I come to them so I don't forget them later! :P

PROPOSED CHANGE: Sloane --> Murphy

Ricochet

Toga

Glad you like it Rico 8)

Changes already ::) :P

Toga

With the bye fixture released now we have to start planning around that...

R8: Crows, Pies, Cats, Suns, Roos, Tigers

R9: Blues, Giants, Hawks, Power, Eagles, Bulldogs

R10: Lions, Bombers, Dockers, Demons, Saints, Swans

Toga

Have made a few adjustments to cater for the fixture release yesterday...

Round 8 Bye, Round 9 Bye, Round 10 Bye

DEF: J.McVeigh, P.Hanley, G.Birchall, S.Docherty, M.Suckling, M.Scharenberg (J.Battersby, Z.Jones)

MID: S.Pendlebury, D.Beams, T.Cotchin, N.Fyfe, M.Murphy, D.Tyson, L.McDonald, J.Aish (M.Crouch, J.Martin)

RUC: N.Naitanui, M.Kreuzer (R.Lobb, L.McBean)

FWD: T.Rockliff, C.Wingard, A.Christensen, J.Kennedy, A.Fasolo, J.Hogan (S.Kersten, B.Lennon)

OUT: R.Sloane, R.Henderson, L.Franklin, V.Michie, H.McIntosh, N.Vardy

IN: M.Murphy, S.Docherty, J.Kennedy, A.Fasolo, M.Kreuzer, R.Lobb

Salary Cap: $203,700

Comments: A few changes made after the 2014 AFL Bye fixture was announced. Murphy & Docherty come in because they present better value than the guys making way for them, while Josh J. Kennedy comes in given the reasonably soft nature of his draw to start the year. Not 100% on Viv Michie's JS at the moment but he'll probably come back in the side at some point, just think Fasolo should come back all guns blazing. Hmac & Vardy make way for Kreuzer & Lobb because it suits the bye structure better, and it remains to be seen whether Hmac will be ready to go Round 1.

Toga

Third Draft: Post-National Draft

Round 8 Bye, Round 9 Bye, Round 10 Bye

DEF: J. McVeigh, P. Hanley, G. Birchall, B. Waters, M. Suckling, T. Clurey (T. Cutler, M. Fuller)

MID: S. Pendlebury, N. Fyfe, T. Cotchin, M. Murphy, D. Beams, J. Aish, L. McDonald, D. Sheed (M. Crouch, J. Martin)

RUC: S. Mumford, N. Naitanui (L. McBean, T. Nankervis)

FWD: T. Rockliff, D. Martin, C. Wingard, A. Christensen, D. Thomas, J. Hogan (S. Kersten, B. Lennon)

Salary Cap: $1,000

OUT: S.Docherty, M.Scharenberg, J.Battersby, Z.Jones, D.Tyson, M.Kreuzer, R.Lobb, J.Kennedy, A.Fasolo

IN: B.Waters, M.Fuller, T.Clurey, T.Cutler, D.Sheed, S.Mumford, T.Nankervis, D.Martin, D.Thomas

Comments: Changes are pretty much based around what happened in the National Draft last thursday. Fuller, Clurey & Sheed are more likely to get games than those that made way for them, while I'm not sold on Docherty's JS at this point in time. Dom Sheed should get a look next year, while I feel Mumford is very underpriced for what he can achieve next year... Nankervis has better game prospects at Sydney than Lobb does at GWS. Martin and Thomas come in because I think they present better value as a pair than Kennedy & Fasolo who make way. Salary cap might be a bit tight, but I can always make room later on with some downgrading, as I have a lot of high draftees in my team at the moment.

Nige