Main Menu

Possible trades / list mngmt.

Started by Hawks_1976, September 16, 2009, 10:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks_1976

As an avid hawks man, just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were about trade speculation and the list in 2010.

Firstly, the biggest trade story to date has been Josh Gibson stating he wants to go to the Hawks. Does he fit in? I always thought that when we played NM that Gibbo matched up on Buddy pretty well. Would he come in as a key defender or do we want him to play more of a half back role? ( If we get him. ) Is he asking for too much coin?

I've also read Marcus Drum from Freo. Haven't seen much of this kid but as a club, we seem to always do pretty well out of the Dockers!

In terms of our list, Max Bailey going down is a real shame. I forsee the club giving him a job to stay on in a supporting role but they have to delist him don't they?

Our ruck situation is a real mess, Simon Taylor is a disgrace. Most free kicks against in the comp this year by a mile, most out of frustration because the game is beyond him. Renouf is still learning the caper, Campbell only serviceable at best. Not sure who to go after but shoring up a decent ruckmen has to be number one on the priority list.

I'm sure the hawks will make a bid for Brian Lake as well but personally don't see him leaving the dogs.

Finished:

Boyle
Dew
Bailey
Taylor
Croad?

Possible names for trade?

Thorp
Murphy
Williams
Morton

chris

Looks like the Hawks have there trade feelers everywhere at the moment with the biggest ones being Surgoyne, Sandi, Gibson and Lake. From articles today looks as though Sandi might stay put, also Lake is looking as though he might as well.

My feeling is that another midfielder in Surgoyne should not be our highest priority especially with rumors he is demanding 600K/year, 26 and a suspect knee.

I think we should be concentrating on a KP backman and Gibson could fill that role although the negotiations with North and coming to an agreement as to what he is worth I think could be the downfall.

Also a ruckman, with Bailey going down unfortuately I can't see Taylor being delisted unless there is a plan to get a replacement ruck.

m0nty

I'm finding it hard to give any credibility to trade talk involving the Hawks this time around, given that Ryan O'Keefe said recently that all the media speculation about him being linked to the Hawks and holding up everyone else's trades was complete horse manure, they never talked.

Having said that, I think it would be prudent for us to pick up Gibson for a third-rounder.

lewis

Far too much speculation before and during trade week. The Hawks list is decent and we will win a flag without burgoyne!! If  he wants to play for us he drops his tag by half - hawks will have salary cap issues in the coming 2-3yrs.

Sandi we will need to play aggressive for him as a suggestion possibly bateman, williams and taylor and if we throw in a pick we might get drum. The idea is it frees up salary cap and both bateman and williams can go back `home`to W.A. and fill key position roles at the dockers and taylor can work in tandem with kepler. ;D

Gibson player swap possibly for mglynn or moss otherwise 3rd rounder.

Unfortunately for bailey delisted but the hawks to support him with rehab.

If hawks dont pursue burgoyne is s. tuck an alternative?

bigbudyboy

Will bailey be delisted? or is he already delisted? I heard that hawks were going to persist with him... especially now that big robbie is gone.  I think taylor/renouf is serviceable with our midfield, and we have walsh and lowden (although both inexperienced they will have to cover for the unavoidable taylor suspensions)

As i write this, our trade status looks like this,
gibson, pick 69 - for second and third pick
2 mid round picks + late pick - for kennedy and mcglynn
Unofficially Shaun burgoyne - for mark williams and pick 9

I think we should use the mid picks we got from sydney to acquire griffin from adelaide as a ruck option.  He is a good player and wants to leave adelaide and come to victoria.  We shouldn't have to part with much, but will help with salary cap issues if we offload a low-to-mid tier player for him.

I think Burgoyne will be a fantastic grab once it gets finalised (although I think we gave up to much for him).  He will bring in some genuine pace in our midfield (mitchell, sewell, lewis are not the fastest blokes going around).  Plus he can play anywhere.  I imagine him and hodge to compliment each other really well.  and his delivery to the twin towers will be amazing.  we should just give him a bit less than what mark williams was getting at hawks.

lewis

Exciting times!! If we were to keep bails he would be placed on the LTI list and an opportunity to promote a rookie. I agree walsh and lowden are adequate replacements where necessry and look forward to watching them compete.

With willo´s move to the bombers I guess it opens the door for thorp and or dowler, possibly both the prospect of playing 4 talls in the forward line with cyril and ozzy as the crumbers - salvitating.

I am curious what the pre-season and national draft strategy will be. Considering we have several open spots, arguably the youngest list, swimming in monsoonal cash and where other clubs are investing in youth, is it possible hawks are drafting experienced players ie: s. tuck ( obvious name given no list assessments have been lodged). Hence why pelchen and co weren´t haggling over 1st and 2nd round picks.

Without a doubt PREMIERS 2010 GO HAWKS!!