Points Cap, Query, Discussion, Debate

Started by kilbluff1985, October 09, 2013, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

Quote from: Toga on October 20, 2013, 04:45:52 PM
The only problem I have with the system is the way in which people's opinions on the value of draft picks varies so much.

Some people rate draft picks super high, which causes confusion as to why trades get negged... Not sure how this can be improved though.
I don't rate them particularly highly, but I understand that others do, so when voting on trades concerning picks I think about it as if I do rate them highly, rather than not. Not sure if that makes sense... haha

Nige

This may kinda be playing devil's advocate a little... but that's the problem with anything and everything. Ultimately, whatever the ruling is, it's subjective for each individual.

As I've stated, I rate draft picks, whereas CF just said, he doesn't really rate them too much. I can't see a way of solving the situation tbh.

Holz

Quote from: CrowsFan on October 20, 2013, 04:55:40 PM
Quote from: Toga on October 20, 2013, 04:45:52 PM
The only problem I have with the system is the way in which people's opinions on the value of draft picks varies so much.

Some people rate draft picks super high, which causes confusion as to why trades get negged... Not sure how this can be improved though.
I don't rate them particularly highly, but I understand that others do, so when voting on trades concerning picks I think about it as if I do rate them highly, rather than not. Not sure if that makes sense... haha

I get it completely I look at trades on their market value not what I value them at. For example picks outside the top 30 I give no value too. However when reviewing trades o know some people rate them.

Purple 77

I don't really rate draft picks that much, and if one guy springs my fancy after his first year, I just go and poach him off that club with my first round draft pick the year after :P

Look at Wellington for example, at the end of 2012, pick 2 would be worth heaps. He used it on spud toumpas, and then traded him away and Karnesiz for Sylvia.

I reckon Pick 2 + Karnesiz for Sylvia would get negged any day, just an example to consider and my argument as to why people shouldn't rate them too highly. Works the other way too I suppose, Vlastuin for example.

elephants

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 20, 2013, 06:01:40 PM
I don't really rate draft picks that much, and if one guy springs my fancy after his first year, I just go and poach him off that club with my first round draft pick the year after :P

Look at Wellington for example, at the end of 2012, pick 2 would be worth heaps. He used it on spud toumpas, and then traded him away and Karnesiz for Sylvia.

I reckon Pick 2 + Karnesiz for Sylvia would get negged any day, just an example to consider and my argument as to why people shouldn't rate them too highly. Works the other way too I suppose, Vlastuin for example.

To be fair, most of the blame should be on people who trade away gun kids/picks cheaply. Toumpas is going to be a superstar, he just needs time to adjust and thrive at AFL level.

Vinny

Yeah you can't expect instant success with kids that young. Plus it depends on the talent of the draft in the particular year.

Nige

Toumpas is in the same category as Kieran Harper, Zac Dawson and Richard Tambling for me.  :P

Vinny

Come on Nige, you cannot forget champions of the game -----> Ralph Clarke.

Toga

Yeah the basis of my suggestion is basically it seems like NY/Pacific are having trouble getting a trade through because some people rate the picks they are being offered too highly, some rate Nicholls more highly than the picks.

Also makes it hard for trades like Beijing/Wellington's with Harry Taylor & Pick #1 to go through as it's hard for us coaches to gauge how highly people are gonna rate the pick in comparison to players.

Master Q

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 20, 2013, 06:01:40 PM

Well every draftee is "amazing". The media only speak about their upsides.

With your reasoning, did you reject our Taylor trade with Pot?

Nige

Quote from: vinny on October 20, 2013, 06:10:27 PM
Come on Nige, you cannot forget champions of the game -----> Ralph Clarke.

Raph's in a league of his own.  ;D

tbagrocks

Quote from: NigeyS on October 20, 2013, 06:07:43 PM
Toumpas is in the same category as Kieran Harper, Zac Dawson and Richard Tambling for me.  :P
Better hope a certain Asian coach doesn't hear of this ;)

Chad Wingard was poor last year, then BAM!!

elephants

Haha Nige, Toumpas is a class above them all and Zac Dawson is crucial to Freo's back six :P

kilbluff1985

elephants

Technically 'typical' should have its seperate hashtag but whatevs :P

And it hasn't really gone off topic. I would class this as a discussion and a debate so yeah ;)