WXV Award Ceremony 2013

Started by Purple 77, August 26, 2013, 07:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

With the WXV grand final upon us at the end of this week, so to does our magnificent competition takes a breather after yet another wonderful year! There were oodles of surprises, records and coach retirements in an eventful year, which I don't think was picked up in CF's bold predictions thread last year.

Nonetheless, with a wonderful year comes a night of recognition's and awards for our beloved competition, hosted by the main event of...

The Jim Stynes Medal!

In this prestigious medal, in which Gary Ablett Jnr from the Sao Paulo Pumas took home last year, the highest individual scorer in each game of the Home and Away Season is awarded 3 votes, the second highest 2 votes and the third highest 1 vote.

Voting Rules/Notifications
1) If a player tied for the highest scorer in any game, or the 2nd highest or the 3rd highest, the RANDOM function in Microsoft excel  decides who gets the highest amount of votes. For example:

Andrew Raines and Karmichael Hunt both got 160 points each, which was the highest individual score of that round. The RANDOM function in the Microsoft Function awards (at random) Andrew Raines 3 votes and Karmichael Hunt 2 votes.

This is likewise if Alipate Carlile gets 180 points, Raines and Hunt get the second highest, so the RANDOM function awards (at random) Raines 2 votes and Hunt 1 vote. And so on if Hunt and Raines got the third highest score.

2)
When the votes are being awarded, the ranking of the player for a player who got a vote is calculated at THE END OF THE ROUND. For example, Matthew Warnock got 3 votes in Round 15, for a total of 32 at that time, which is the highest amount of votes at that moment. But a couple of games later in the same round, Setanta O'hAilpin got his 33rd vote, and is now the top vote scorer.

When the image is displayed, it will display Warnock as being second (even though his ranking was first at that moment). It is just a lot easier for me if its done this way.

If you are new to the WXVs in 2013 and would like to know what to expect, check out last years Award Ceremony

But bare in mind, this one is gonna kick more arse!

At Round's 5, 10 and 15, ossie85 will also announce other awards.

But wait! There's more!

As we all know, midfielders traditionally get more SC points and would therefore be favoured by the Jim Stynes Medal. So what I concocted, was...

The Most Valuable Player Award!

Ok, this criteria a little more tricky...

Basically, in a real AFL match, you have defenders vs forwards, midfielders vs midfielders and forwards vs defenders.

Take Berlin and Dublin, for example.

I take Berlin's best scoring 4 defenders, 5 midfielders (midfield includes ruckman) and 4 forwards and subtotal each of those positions. I say best scoring 4 defenders etc., because there are two on the bench who are either a defender, mid, ruck or forward. For example, I had 5 defenders play (one on bench), the benchie scores 150, and the four defenders score, 100, 90, 80 and 50. I take the 4 highest scoring defenders (so the guy on the bench and 3 of the named defenders), even though the guy who scored 50 was named in the starting 4, I don't add his score as he was not part of the 4 highest scoring players. This is likewise for midfielders (including ruckmen) and forwards.

So after all this, I have 3 sub-totals for Berlin, and 3 sub-totals for Dublin.

For example, it may have gone like this:

Berlin DEF - 380              Dublin FOR - 330               DIFFERENCE = 50

Berlin MID - 470              Dublin MID - 600               DIFFERENCE = 130

Berlin FOR - 230              Dublin DEF - 400               DIFFERENCE = 170

I look at the differences of the sub-totals, and see that Dublin's DEF outscored Berlin's FOR by the most (170 points).

I then see that Alex Rance was the highest scoring defender for Dublin, and award him 3 votes.

I look at the second biggest difference, and see that Dublin's MID outscored Berlin's MID by 130 points.

I then see Joel Selwood was the highest scoring midfielder for Dublin, and award him 2 votes.

I look at the smallest difference, and see that Berlin's DEF outscored Dublin's FOR by 50 points.

I then see that Michael Hibberd was the highest scoring defender for Berlin, and award him 1 vote.

And that's it.

Voting Rules/Notifications

If 2 players tied with the highest score in the position (e.g. Daniel Wells and Jack Steven both scored a midfield high of 130), I use the Excel RANDOM function to decide who will be awarded votes.

If 2 opposing positions tied with each other (e.g. Berlin's DEF tied with Dublin's FOR), I award votes to the highest scoring player out of Berlin's DEF and Dublin's FOR

If a MPP was named on the bench, I name them in the position the other benchie wasn't. i.e. a mid and a M/F was named, I put the M/F in the forward line. Also, if the players position don't link, I put the MPP in the line that needs him the most.

see 2) in Jim Stynes Rules too

This system I think awards the importance and value of a good defender or forward (or general player), as the Jim Stynes Medal is predominantly midfield biased.

It also awards the player scored in the crucial position that got their team the points in the end, and truly think that the player was the most valuable in the match.

The Awards Night is on Friday the 30th of August and starts at 7.00pm AET

You can book your team tables if you like, but that is entirely optional  :) will record them nonetheless!

Also, if I make a mistake in my presentation, like, the Cape Town Emblem being associated with GAJ or anything like that, point it out and I will make my apologies, but I'm sure it is an unforgivable offence to CF to possibly get GAJ's team wrong  :P

If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to explain it again as I'm sure I have been a little confusing.

But I will promise you this, it will be a helluva night!

Congratulations to Gary Ablett jnr and Andrew Walker for taking out the Jim Stynes and Most Valuable Player Award respectively!

CrowsFan

Looking forward to it purps! :D
My only query is why does the Jim Stynes Medal say Trophy on it?

ossie85

Purple 77

Quote from: CrowsFan on August 26, 2013, 07:29:54 PM

Because the Brownlow does, I think it does? I copied and pasted one and edited it a year ago.

Maca24

My players aren't really chances for awards :P
Maybe Bartel, NRoo, Enright and Goddard are chances for the MVP.

Jukes

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 26, 2013, 07:40:21 PM

Because the Brownlow does, I think it does? I copied and pasted one and edited it a year ago.

Toga

Looks good Purps! Can't wait! :)

CrowsFan

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 26, 2013, 07:40:21 PM

Ah well there you go then! Never knew!

Purple 77

ossie85

Purple 77

The first players to arrive have a view similar to this, as the media has gone nuts as they take their first steps on the WXV Red Carpet!

Purple 77

Berlin Poster-Boy Lance "Buddy" Franklin has made his arrival! Along with London Veteran Jarrad McVeigh and Cape Town superstar Jobe Watson!

ossie85

ossie85

I'm interested in who will win the MVP

I reckon probably Goddard, Walker, Stevie J, Ablett......

Purple 77

Seoul and Cape Town Richmond stars Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin looking their brilliant bests with their partners