Richmond Offseason/Preseason Megathread 2015/2016

Started by Nige, September 08, 2015, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

Ive heard it said that he should be made to do community service to suffers of violence but, who from those circumstances would want Dusty servicing anywhere near them? ???

quinny88

Dustin is big enough to control himself but what I wanna know is who the awesome "mates" are that were with him. Once you could see him getting agitated and arguing wouldn't you get him out of there before it escalated any further? My mates are as irresponsible as most mid 20s when they're blind drunk but even they would have the common sense to do that for me and I'm not a high profile AFL player with a lot to lose

powersuperkents

Quote from: quinny88 on December 09, 2015, 11:42:39 PM
Dustin is big enough to control himself but what I wanna know is who the awesome "mates" are that were with him. Once you could see him getting agitated and arguing wouldn't you get him out of there before it escalated any further? My mates are as irresponsible as most mid 20s when they're blind drunk but even they would have the common sense to do that for me and I'm not a high profile AFL player with a lot to lose
I'm pretty sure Dusty is best friends with Dane Swan

I would not be surprised if he was present hahaha

quinny88

Quote from: powersuperkents on December 10, 2015, 01:40:33 AM
I'm pretty sure Dusty is best friends with Dane Swan

I would not be surprised if he was present hahaha

Haha in that case, Swanny had probably buggered off out of there quick smart

Ziplock

Quote from: quinny88 on December 09, 2015, 11:20:20 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on December 09, 2015, 10:19:23 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on December 09, 2015, 07:24:18 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on December 09, 2015, 06:58:18 PM
He would have copped some flack if it had been a man and probably slapped with a fine.

This article I think summaries everything pretty well

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/victims-account-will-shape-richmond-tigers-star-dustin-martins-punishment-20151208-glipay.html

the lady's account makes it seem pretty bad. With the leagues stance on violence against women, I wouldn't be surprised if they made some sort of example out of him, and I wouldn't even disagree with that- it's part of society that should be stamped the flower out, and when you have high profile role models doing stuff like this they should be harshly punished. Richmond imo should ban him from NAB and the first 5-6 weeks of the season, with community service and a fine... hopefully it means there wouldn't be a massive reaction from the AFL... richmond's opening draw isn't too harsh anyway.

I know we're saying 12 months would be ridiculous, but it's not something I would be overly surprised about if they AFL really wanted to send a message. Dustin's 6 ft 2 and weighs over 90kg... someone that size physically intimidating a woman is not appropriate.

Ftr, about Brian Lake

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/star-hawthorn-recruit-brian-lake-issed-infringement-notice-after-drinking-heavily-in-sorrento/story-fnelctok-1226552981484

Him and his wife were having an argument, and they were BOTH fined and BOTH arrested for public drunkenness (had nothing to do with domestic violence or violence against women).

Neither did this.. He didn't lay a hand on her

Threatening a woman and physically cornering her still falls under the category of violence against women

http://www.endvawnow.org/en/articles/295-defining-violence-against-women-and-girls.html

he United Nations defines violence against women as “any act of gender-based violence that results in, or is likely to result in, physical, sexual or psychological harm or suffering to women, including threats of such acts, coercion or arbitrary deprivation of liberty, whether occurring in public or in private life” (General Assembly Resolution 48/104 Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women, 1993).

It's an extremely archaic, out of date and close minded view the be like 'all gee mate, he didn't touch her.'

What he did, drunkenly or not, demonstrates an attitude that should be strongly discouraged.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discouraged. It was stupid and he deserves to be punished as a result but painting it with the same brush as domestic violence or violence against women is an exaggeration. The lady has not pressed charges and accepted his apology, don't think that would be the case if he had of belted her. What he did was stupid, not violent

What he did was to the same effect as actual violence, but without the physical damage- intimidating a woman because of the size difference between them, because she shared a differing opinion to him.

Don't get me wrong, dusty's gotten a bad rap unwarrantedly in the past imo

He's missed training because he was hungover, and had two poor taste goal celebrations, not something he should have been slammed for, and I thought the fines associated with the gestures were kind of unnecessary, but this is on a bigger level.

As I said, I could potentially see the league coming down on him hard... and I think richmond would be well off by beating them to the chase, incase they do something very severe.

Quote from: tbagrocks on December 09, 2015, 11:28:39 PM
Ive heard it said that he should be made to do community service to suffers of violence but, who from those circumstances would want Dusty servicing anywhere near them? ???

community service at the local chinese restraunt? :P

^

I've gotten super drunk before, but anyone who isn't a massive White Goodman will still step in and defuse a situation when a friend's losing their shower.

quinny88

Quote from: Donnie Brasco on December 17, 2015, 03:33:13 PM

He looks happy and healthy which is good. Dust off the old footy boots and get back out there :P

Nige

There's talk he might be headed into the South African jungle for the upcoming season of I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here.  :o :P

They had Barry Hall last season who was insanely popular (runner up, in fact), only Benny Cousins can and will do better!  8)

kilbluff1985

is Nathan Drummond still in recovery or whats the news with him will he be playing reserves round 1?

quinny88

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 18, 2015, 12:51:01 AM
is Nathan Drummond still in recovery or whats the news with him will he be playing reserves round 1?

Haven't heard a word about him actually although some of the training videos on the Richmond website I've seen him appearing to train with the main group

tbagrocks

Great to see Cus down there, showing Dusty how to behave :o

EDIT: I actually mean that! Couldn't do worse than his "Father" anyway ::)

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on December 19, 2015, 03:56:55 PM

His father lives in a different state and was so angry at Dusty for what he did that he flew down. Someone being a bikie doesn't make them a bad person

tbagrocks

Quote from: quinny88 on December 19, 2015, 04:41:51 PM

His father lives in a different state and was so angry at Dusty for what he did that he flew down. Someone being a bikie doesn't make them a bad person
Wanna bet? Sheesh, why anyone would attempt to stick up for the scum of Western culture is beyond me, sorry

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on December 19, 2015, 05:00:11 PM

Wanna bet? Sheesh, why anyone would attempt to stick up for the scum of Western culture is beyond me, sorry

What?

Dusty's father is an adelaide supporter?!?!

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on December 19, 2015, 05:00:11 PM

Did your cat get run over  by bikies or something Tbag? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder