CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGES

Started by Holz, April 03, 2013, 12:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFEV

Quote from: CrowsFan on July 15, 2013, 11:35:31 AM
Haha nails you really do hate us don't you :P
Nails hates everyone. :P

BB67th

Good job by the Pumas. Going to be fun for the Folders when we get to play teams from other competitions next season!

Is there any word yet on how to qualify for the league? Will it be the top 4 from the ladder, 4 highest scoring teams or those that make it to the Prelim Final?

ossie85

Just noticed it says Mexico City in the grannie, not the Pumas on the front

CrowsFan

ossie85

Hi again Holz :)

So, we have our final four in all comps now.

For Worlds, on a ladder basis, it is Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Moscow and Sao Paulo.

On a finals basis, it is Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo and Berlin.

I'm still of the belief it should be based on finals outcomes. Was wondering if you could leave it to each comp's Admin to decide which teams make the Champions league?

LaHug

It either needs to be based on points scored of finals. That way, the Bison make it.
We had the 4th most points but finished 5th on the ladder. Made it to the prelims though. I think it'd be unfair for us to miss out because we had unfortunate match ups.

Obviously, I'm going to have bias towards my team though.

Holz

The intention was to follow the epl system and to create some incentive to make the top 4.

I'm alright with it being the top 4 scoring teams in the hone and away. I'm still against the final series counting. But if its really unpopular I'm moveable

ossie85

Quote from: Holzman on August 19, 2013, 01:04:33 PM
The intention was to follow the epl system and to create some incentive to make the top 4.

The EPL doesn't have finals, so the Champion always makes the Champions league.

But I don't think you can call it a Champions league if it doesn't guarantee the Champions...

How about this as a compromise.... The Premier and the top point scorer are guaranteed to make the Champions league, and the other 2 (or 3) spots done by ladder positions before finals?

Ringo

Like the idea however how would you decide on seedings.

In British this year
Top 4 at end of home and away : Winchester Werewolves, Nottingham Hoods, Swansea Breakers, Bradford Badgers

Semi Final Teams:
Winchester Werewolves, Swansea Breakers, Birmingham Bombers, Hebden Bridge Hedgehogs. The Hegehogs finished 8th and would surprise to see them go through to finals.  So you could have the situation where the hedgehogs finish second and yet do not make champions league.  Just throwing that possibility out as well.

Personally prefer the Top 4 from each comp (after finals) myself as the Top scoring creates some anomolies. Eg in British where we had a couple of team upheavals some teams played really low teams at their lowest point but other teams had to play them after a change of coaches where the points spread was not as great.

Holz

What I don't want is done team that sneaks into the finals than has a few good weeks and wins.

Are you ok with the premier and the next 3 highest point scoring teams making the champions league.

ossie85

Quote from: Holzman on August 19, 2013, 01:35:13 PM
What I don't want is done team that sneaks into the finals than has a few good weeks and wins.

Why is that Holz?  (That could have almost been Dublin this year and wouldn't have had a problem with that! Could still be Berlin) I think its great when the underdogs wins! Sport would be boring if the statistically best team always won. Given we had two teams from Worlds this year - Wellington and Beijing - that were clearly weren't up to scratch because of trading in the off season, there's no guarantee of quality for the next year anyway.

Quote from: Holzman on August 19, 2013, 01:35:13 PM

Are you ok with the premier and the next 3 highest point scoring teams making the champions league.

I share Ringo's concerns - point scoring isn't perfect, especially if you stop counting before finals (a team could be the best scoring team all year, but go crazy bad in the finals, and theoretically a team that misses the finals could have scored monstrously in the last 4 weeks if they qualified). But what I think isn't negotiable is that premiers need to be in next year.

Nails

Dongs deserve to be in the champs league.

We were tied for premiership favourtism coming into the season but due to bullshower injuries finished 5-8th placing.

However now with a more complete team we'll be vying for a spot in the Grand Final this weekend.

Ringo

I would be more happy with the premier and the next 3 highest placed teams on the end of season ladder.

Just say in British this year if the Werewolves are defeated in the final (should they make it) if we are to use your system then the Werewolves would not make the Champions League which I do not think is right for the Minor Premiers.  (For information Werewolves finished 5th on total points so you see the dilema but won the Minor premiership),

Injuries at wrong time also play a part in total scoring as well.
Not easy to solve Holz but maybe Minor Premiers. Premiers, Runner up in Premiership and next highest placed teams on the ladder,

BB67th

I think premier and next 3 highest scoring teams seems fairest. Never going to get it perfect, but this way it rewards the teams who were best over the course of the whole season.

ossie85

Quote from: BB67th on August 19, 2013, 04:34:41 PM
I think premier and next 3 highest scoring teams seems fairest. Never going to get it perfect, but this way it rewards the teams who were best over the course of the whole season.

What if one of those high scoring teams didn't actually make the finals?