Where will the Eagles finish in 2012?

Started by McRooster, September 15, 2010, 08:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on November 09, 2011, 03:51:28 PM
Think Carlton will over take them, and if they can jump 12 spots on the ladder in a year, whose to say someone else won't?
I think you're right with the first statement Ossie, but its unlikely that another team will emulate the feat of the Eagles next year. Sure it can happen, and will happen again, but highly unlikely for it to be next year IMO.

I agree the Eagles overachieved this year, but will still manage a top 8 finish, unless they have a injury riddled season...

PowerBug

Quote from: Fletch74 on November 09, 2011, 04:11:18 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on November 09, 2011, 03:51:28 PM
Think Carlton will over take them, and if they can jump 12 spots on the ladder in a year, whose to say someone else won't?
I think you're right with the first statement Ossie, but its unlikely that another team will emulate the feat of the Eagles next year. Sure it can happen, and will happen again, but highly unlikely for it to be next year IMO.

I agree the Eagles overachieved this year, but will still manage a top 8 finish, unless they have a injury riddled season...
So your doubting the ability of Port Adelaide?? As they finished 16th last season??

ossie85

Port Adelaide don't have a Glass, Cox, Kerr or Priddis!

PowerBug

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on November 09, 2011, 04:21:54 PM

Port Adelaide don't have a Glass, Cox, Kerr or Priddis!
plus the other 18 players that West coast has :P

Cruiseon

West Coast had a great year from their older players in 2011 something which, at least from an injury point of view, would take a bit of luck two years in a row. They will definitely be treated with more respect in 2012 which, as Freo found out is not always a good thing.

I think West Coast will be a tough team to beat in Perth and will win a few on the road but top 4 might just be beyond them this year. Of course I hope they keep Carlton out of the top 4 again but I think it is unlikely.

Bluke

Top Four!

Games:
200+ : 3 Players Glass/Cox/Embley
150+ : 3 Players Lynch/Kerr/Selwood
100+ : 4 Players Nicoski/Rosa/Priddis/Lecras
50+ : 10 Players Hurn/Waters/Kennedy/Butler/Selwood/Hill/Schofield/MacKenzie/Naitainui/Masten
20+ : 8 PlayersSheppard/Darling/Dalziell/Smith/Swift/Shuey/Brown/McGinnity

Of those ten 50+ players, Hurn, Waters, Kennedy, Butler, Selwood and Naitanui are certain starters in every team in the comp. MacKenzie and Schofield had career best seasons last year and we can expect more improvement this year. Hill is a wait and see prospect, but I can see him fitting in well in the wide open spaces of subi, filling the position Ebert vacated on the flank. Masten also showed vast improvement at the end of the season. Maybe he has finally turned the corner? Im not holding my breath, but I can hope.

Then consider players under 50 games like McGinnity, Brown, Shuey, Smith, Sheppard, Darling and Gaff and there is a helluva lot of pressure on players for spots.

Carlton's Spread:
200+ : 2 Players Judd/Scotland
150+ : 2 Players Thornton/Simpsion
100+ : 7 Players Betts/Waite/Carrazzo/Walkers/Murphy/Gibbs/Russell/McLean
50+ : 7 Players Warnock/Garlett/Joseph/Armfield/Bower/Kreuser/Jamison
20+ : 4 Players Laidler/Duigan/Collins/Ellard

Carlton overtake us in terms of development?? I think not! They have a gun midfield no doubt! But until they sort out their spine they haven't a chance of challanging for a premiership. Furthermore, its clear from the above spread of experience that most of Carlton's players hit the pinacle of their performance this season/next season. While there is still some improvement left in the team, I would wager there is much more improvement left in the Eagles. Which can expect massive improvement to come in the midfield, defense and forward line from players like Schofield, MacKenzie, Brown, Smith, Shuey, Gaff, Selwood, Kennedy and Darling. Add Naitanui to that mix and the Eagles look scary.

Also compare the 6 players over 150 games versus the 4 from carlton.

Obviously Judd is a freak and Simpson and Scotland are exceptionnally experienced and reliable players. However, All 6 of West Coast's players are premiership players, Lynch arguably had the best season of his career, Cox is the best ruckmen of the 2000s Glass was AA fullback, we all know how skillful Kerr is when fit and Embley would have been AA wingman if it was picked based on positions. Then add Selwood, arguably the best defensive tagger in the comp and I think we outgun Carlton not just in youth, but experience as well. Once the Eagles midflield improves a bit more, they wont stand a chance.

Apparantly Darling has been hitting the gym big time in the off season. Can't wait to see the big unit in the NAB cup.

I'll be dissapointed with anything lower then 6th next season. Also West Coast can beat every team in the comp at Subi, and they challanged everyone except Collingwood away. Given the number of players starting to peak around 50+ games, you have to expect them to improve more.

my 2cents.

elephants

Love it. As a westcoast supporter this fills me with confidence.

Cruiseon

I see the Weagles have drafted Brad Dick as well as a speculative draft pick.

I guess not a lot to lose, I wish him well.

Phasir

Add Koby to the midfield mix now too, can't wait to see how the young engine of West Coast in Shuey, Stevens, Masten, Gaff, Shepphard, & Scooter have developed in this NAB Cup  :D

elephants

Big_Cox14

I can see the eagles finishing top 4 again this year.