CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGES

Started by Holz, April 03, 2013, 12:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

The best 4 teams should be playing the Champions league. The best way to determine that? The last four teams left. If you finish top four then you theoretically make the final 4, not doing so is unfortunate for them. If a team comes from 8th and makes the GF, are they not the 2nd best team this season in that comp? They shouldn't be missing out.

Oh, and the reigning Champs league winners should automatically qualify for next season, regardless where they finish in their league. (Not sure if this already happens)

my two cents. :)

Holz

Quote from: PowerBug on September 21, 2013, 06:51:48 PM
The best 4 teams should be playing the Champions league. The best way to determine that? The last four teams left. If you finish top four then you theoretically make the final 4, not doing so is unfortunate for them. If a team comes from 8th and makes the GF, are they not the 2nd best team this season in that comp? They shouldn't be missing out.

Oh, and the reigning Champs league winners should automatically qualify for next season, regardless where they finish in their league. (Not sure if this already happens)

my two cents. :)

Strongly disagree, fantasy football is unpredictable and I vale the long home and away season compared to just a few games towards the end of the season. Belarus v Serbia is the example here.

Belarus made the grand final Serbia didn't yet I was undefeated in the home and away and easily scored the most points. The champions league isn't just a few weeks you need to perform for a long time so the home and away is the best indicator.

PowerBug

Both grand finalists should be guaranteed champions league entry at the very least then. The other two spots could go to ladder position? I'm not a fan of it going to total points scored since H&A season is based on H2H matches, not just total points.

Colliwobblers

yeah i agree with holz, more so becasue of the ridiculous AFL resting of players right in the middle of our fantasy finals, can really skew the results.

sure that means you get tested on your depth and its just bad luck if you get a few players out and go down in a final,

but seriously the best teams of the season have to be more accurately represented by the top 4?

the premier deserves a spot regardless, as Os says after all they are hte only real champion.

as for the reigning champions league winner, can't see how that is relevant given it was a year ago and we are a season past that result when working out the next seasons champions league qualifiers....

its the same as saying the people who qualified last season should automatically qualify the next season...

@ PB does seem harsh the GF loser doesnt make it but got to draw the line somewhere? idk

PowerBug

I'm just going off the UEFA champs league where the reigning champ automatically qualifies.

Line does need to be drawn somewhere yeah. It'll be impossible to please everyone.

Ringo

Agree it is hard to decide but we need to draw the line.

in British Hedgehogs made the Grandfinal from 8th position and whilst they may be deserving of the spot should it be at the expense of a top 4 side who had the misfortune of injuries and restings effecting them in their final matches as one offs. Ladder position is fairest I think as it rewards consistent teams.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: PowerBug on September 21, 2013, 07:30:37 PM
I'm just going off the UEFA champs league where the reigning champ automatically qualifies.

Line does need to be drawn somewhere yeah. It'll be impossible to please everyone.

im leaving this one to holz :)

wouldnt have an issue with last years champs winner qualifying except for who an out of which comp misses out in his place (if he is not in the general criteria to qualify the following season) ?

does my head in ..... HOLZ, just grateful there will be one and someone to run it all to be honest.

Holz

I can't imagine a team that can win the champions league to ever not to qualify.

PowerBug

Quote from: Holzman on September 21, 2013, 07:57:04 PM

I can't imagine a team that can win the champions league to ever not to qualify.
I'm guessing you're saying in our Champions League, because it happened in Europe only two years ago with Chelsea.

CrowsFan

Quote from: PowerBug on September 21, 2013, 08:33:13 PM

I'm guessing you're saying in our Champions League, because it happened in Europe only two years ago with Chelsea.
Yeah, when Chelsea won in 2012 they finished 6th in the Premier League. Also when Liverpool won in 2005 they finished 5th in the premier league.

ossie85

Quote from: CrowsFan on September 21, 2013, 08:41:16 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on September 21, 2013, 08:33:13 PM

Yeah, when Chelsea won in 2012 they finished 6th in the Premier League. Also when Liverpool won in 2005 they finished 5th in the premier league.

Pumas won the Champions league, and only made the WXV top 4 on percentage....

Nige

Quote from: ossie85 on September 22, 2013, 07:45:01 AM
Pumas won the Champions league, and only made the WXV top 4 on percentage....

>:(

PowerBug

Quote from: Colliwobblers on September 21, 2013, 07:42:56 PM
wouldnt have an issue with last years champs winner qualifying except for who an out of which comp misses out in his place (if he is not in the general criteria to qualify the following season) ?
Whichever comp he comes from. So if it's Worlds, then the 4th ranked (however that is decided) Worlds club will miss out in place of the defending champs. I think it's right that you get a chance to defend your title.

BB67th

I'm fairly sure that if you win the Champions League you are going to qualify anyway. It isn't like in the EPL where you play separate matches for Champions League and Regular League matches.

If you are scoring big enough each week to win the Champions League, you have probably scored well enough to make the top 4.

Memphistopheles

Why not like this:

Premiers from each comp automatically qualify. Then the other three teams from that comp qualify based on ladder position.

Unless a team wins the CL and for some reason is not among these qualifying teams. They then qualify in place of the lowest ranked team from their association based on the above (premiers > other teams).