4 rookie ruck strategy

Started by cdonny, January 09, 2012, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdonny

Anyone considering starting with 4 rookie rucks this season?

Is the first time in a long time that it is potentially possible to do so.

Even though Cox and Sandi are the 2 'best', who knows what's going to happen this year - the rucks spots are all open.

Cox - NicNat is looming, and ready to smash it
Goldstein - Hmac is back, who knows
Sandi - turf toe, plus deep ruck stocks at freo
Mummy - is a bit crazy, suspension prone
Luey - is he injured at the mo? light duties?

orrenson, giles, rowe and jenkins could be a 4 rookie ruck combo..
I made up a mock team with these 4, and the coin you save enables some pretty stacked areas elsewhere - 4 prems in the def and fwd, and 5 prems in the guts... on paper looks quite nice

RiOtChEsS

for a league strategy it may be plausible, but u would need those rookies pulling atleast 75-80 per game to A make enuf cash to upgrade them quickly and B not be so far behind the pack u can come home with a wet sail... too risky for me, ballsy move if u do

mdub

Another ruck could defenlty be Billy Longer. He does have hudson and luey ther but im sure he'll get time up forward to help out bownie.

nichsa673

Pretty risky. Maybe something like a Zac Smith or McIntosh as 1st ruckman, and then 3 other rookies. And I would look out Jarrod Witts. Jolly will for sure miss games, and Wood is shower so he might get some oppurtunities.

bowyanger

I would think that West will be given 1st crack at Geelong to hold down the #1 ruck spot. Hawkins then to pinch hit in the ruck with Orrenson a backup in case of injury / poor form. I have Orrenson on the bench with West in R2 incase this happens.

Out of the 4 you listed only Giles would be a certain starter for rd 1? Brogan maybe even given a few early games....Sheedy is a tripper...who knows....

With many rucks averaging over 100 PPG last season it leaves a pretty significant hole in your side that you will have to burn 2 very valuable trades on.

It is very rare for a ruckman to be a keeper in his 1st year of SC, compared to in the past, players such as Barlow, Heppel, Pops etc. There are only 2 ruck spots whereas Barlow, Pops etc were usually M6/D7 etc in our sides.

There is no way I would dismiss mummy as being crazy or suspension prone, he, like Franks, was on the receiving end of some soft decisions from the rediculous, inconsistant MRP. If he was playing in Melbourne, he would be getting much more recognition, same as Cox would be considered as one of the greatest ruckmen to play (not THE greatest however) if he played for a team in Melbourne.

jballstars

very very risky for mine 3 rooks perhaps but 4 nty

upthemaidens

i think if you have used the save money wisely on stacking the rest of the side, then maybe yes,,BUT  it would be a risky way to go.   if giles and orrenson go nuts and drag in  80's and 90's  then you will be in a very good spot.
   i wont be doing it, but give it a go what have u got to lose?

Hippo

first post i have seen on this!

If all main candidates are named rd one and show a bit in the NAB which i think they will then i will be giving this a shot.

Could go shower but i like to take a gamble at bigger odds, so to speak!

upthemaidens

also on a side note,, if hamish mac can get a good amount of TOG, his price is hard to overlook for an 80 possibly 90avg. and less risk than a rookie..  so even a hamish and 3 rookies, its still a dead cheap ruck set-up

Hippo

todays training from a supporter

"Hamish looks the best i've ever seen him. Fit, strong and really competitive in the air i no its only training but he took some lovely contested marks. Almost as good as a few of Drews"

i have had him in and out sooo many times

Ziplock

Quote from: cdonny on January 09, 2012, 04:10:54 PM
Anyone considering starting with 4 rookie rucks this season?

Is the first time in a long time that it is potentially possible to do so.

Even though Cox and Sandi are the 2 'best', who knows what's going to happen this year - the rucks spots are all open.

Cox - NicNat is looming, and ready to smash it
Goldstein - Hmac is back, who knows
Sandi - turf toe, plus deep ruck stocks at freo
Mummy - is a bit crazy, suspension prone
Luey - is he injured at the mo? light duties?

orrenson, giles, rowe and jenkins could be a 4 rookie ruck combo..
I made up a mock team with these 4, and the coin you save enables some pretty stacked areas elsewhere - 4 prems in the def and fwd, and 5 prems in the guts... on paper looks quite nice

you're a touch behind me, I've been toying with it for a while now (and that exact ruck combo :P ). I actually made a mock team and posted it on the coaches board, it's pretty intense (5 midfielders 110+ players)

Hippo

How do i get to that team? I would interested to see that one

upthemaidens

oh no  back to fanplanner i go.... i think i may have talked myself into this hair ball scheme
  might go the hamish 3 rook though, a tad safer then the 4 rooks

CuStArDaRm

Rooks are for making coin and you want huge best ones you can have no matter the position. There is no way you will find 4 ruck rooks worthy if a spot as best rook cash cows, I reckon 2 if we're lucky so your better off  starting with at least 1 prem there I'm going 2 and make sure you have the gun mid rooks who make the cash.

5 mid prems sounds nice but it will take a long time to upgrade others if you don't have the right rooks, remember there only there to make coin and once every 10 years a Barlow comes along and you get a keeper.

Ziplock

I disagree. Rookies are there to fill in spots that you can't drop premiums/ mid pricers into. A rookie fielded in the ruck just means one less in the mid/back/ fwd line. I managed to make a team before using a 4 rookie ruck that only had the need for 6 upgrades (including the ruck).