How important is ruck cover?

Started by Money Shot, December 18, 2015, 02:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dosstheboss

Quote from: GoLions on February 15, 2016, 10:41:02 PM
Quote from: dosstheboss on February 15, 2016, 10:38:01 PM
Okay, say Currie and another cheap ruckman (Grimley/Howard etc) are named round 1. With Goldy R1 would it be stupid to even consider starting Currie at R2 with.. Very risky but would save some valuable coin (if it paid off). Keen to hear people's thoughts :)
I'd probably just chuck one at R3 and not loophole early on...Currie and Grimley could both make some cash, although if Nicholls goes down before round 1, I guess Currie could be worth an R2 spot even, as he can score well

If Nicholls went down before round 1 I would have no hesitations starting Currie at R2, then have Brooksby at R3. Actually I'd settle with Grimley at R3 for 100k less

GoLions

Quote from: dosstheboss on February 15, 2016, 10:46:01 PM
Okay, say Currie and another cheap ruckman (Grimley/Howard etc) are named round 1. With Goldy R1 would it be stupid to even consider starting Currie at R2 with.. Very risky but would save some valuable coin (if it paid off). Keen to hear people's thoughts :)
I'd probably just chuck one at R3 and not loophole early on...Currie and Grimley could both make some cash, although if Nicholls goes down before round 1, I guess Currie could be worth an R2 spot even, as he can score well

If Nicholls went down before round 1 I would have no hesitations starting Currie at R2, then have Brooksby at R3. Actually I'd settle with Grimley at R3 for 100k less
Yep definitely would consider, and would then allow me to finally bring in either Lids, Dahl, or Robbo as my F4 (well, F1-4 depending on which one I'd choose)

dosstheboss

Quote from: GoLions on February 15, 2016, 10:50:21 PM
Quote from: dosstheboss on February 15, 2016, 10:46:01 PM

Yep definitely would consider, and would then allow me to finally bring in either Lids, Dahl, or Robbo as my F4 (well, F1-4 depending on which one I'd choose)

I'm in the same boat, want that fourth premo up front but I'm about 250k away. Lobbe to Currie saves about 235k ::)

Bubbles

Would take balls to pick Currie at r2,
High risk, high reward but could also end in disaster..

Money Shot

Ringo

If Grimley or Currie start Rd 1 no real need to have forward cover can sit as R3 and make some cash for you.

shaker

Quote from: Ringo on February 16, 2016, 10:43:07 AM
If Grimley or Currie start Rd 1 no real need to have forward cover can sit as R3 and make some cash for you.

According to a recent report Mason Cox has taken huge steps and is a very real chance to play this year so maybe rucks will be easy on us this year  :)

Football Factory

Yup .. seems to be a few options, as Ringo said don't think we will need to bother with forward cover, time will tell.

shaker

Quote from: Football Factory on February 16, 2016, 03:40:38 PM
Yup .. seems to be a few options, as Ringo said don't think we will need to bother with forward cover, time will tell.

If Cox does play he would be very handy on the FWD bench with another cheap DPP on the ruck bench

Football Factory

Quote from: shaker on February 16, 2016, 03:54:55 PM
Quote from: Football Factory on February 16, 2016, 03:40:38 PM

If Cox does play he would be very handy on the FWD bench with another cheap DPP on the ruck bench

Yeah for sure, I meant you don't really need to start with a more expensive F/R like a Leuy or Sinclair as an example.

PowerBug

But R3 is usually the best spot to pick your loophole player. So I would be picking a R/F as my ruck cover and sticking him at F8, with a non playing R/F at R3 (Well R2 and the other guy as emergency) to be the captain loophole

Football Factory

Forgot about the craptain poophole 

crowls

Quote from: creeker on January 01, 2016, 02:23:24 PM
Very interested to hear members opinions on Ruck Cover for 2016.
Have read some different views on this and I think it could be a interesting topic.

2014. I started with the Jacobs, Sandi combo which worked a treat. Thought I needed some cover and went with Hale in the fwd line. This backfired big time as I lost points playing Hale. As soon as Stef Martin played mid season I pounced and he provided excellent cover. Luke Parker was roughly the same starting price as Hale and this cost me many points.

2015. Started with Goldy and Maric. Saw others with TBC as cover but avoided that debacle. Was keen to have ruck cover then Max Gawn arrived during the season. Jumped on and was very happy with his scores.

2016. At this stage I have Stef Martin and Nic Nat pencilled in. Will go with a R/F at R3 just in case.  No ruck cover for me at this stage but will be monitoring a few in the pre season games.

Keen to see other opinions.
Creeker love your thinking mate.   Almost same experience as me. Though had nicnat and sandi in 2014 with Martin mid season addition.   Also have  Stef and NicNat this year

enzedder

Spent a fair bit of time on this. Looked at 102k options/ DPP fwds/ loophole options/ fixturing/ considered captain options/more expensive options and I keep coming back to Grimley and Cox.
Currie may prove to be consistent good cover but at 163k robs the initial team of a hefty 45k. No guarantee he'll lock no1 ruck in with Nicholls an option too.
Loersh, Wyatt and other cheap options with DPP just don't consistently have the late round games to make the loophole attractive.
MKing looks a decent option too but the benefit with Cox and Grimley is they're both likely to play, score well and make coin too.
Hopefully Cox will be upgraded before R1... Think the pies have room for 1 more.

T Dog

Rucks ?  Rucks?.. they are the tall uncordinated blokes right?   :o