Going super cheap in defence

Started by Gigantor, December 09, 2015, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasttrack13

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 06, 2016, 08:01:58 PM
Was this Shaw's first season without a major brain fart that saw him miss time? I don't back that happening again. I started with him last year based on price vs potential knowing full well he could go full tard at any moment. Priced at 600k and watching people get burnt by Malcho makes me say pass.
He's in the leadership group... I doubt he's going to be a tard being a leader of young blokes!

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: fasttrack13 on January 27, 2016, 11:45:02 AM
Was this Shaw's first season without a major brain fart that saw him miss time? I don't back that happening again. I started with him last year based on price vs potential knowing full well he could go full tard at any moment. Priced at 600k and watching people get burnt by Malcho makes me say pass.
He's in the leadership group... I doubt he's going to be a tard being a leader of young blokes!

Yeah I'm pretty confident his days of going tard are behind him, and as much as I will regret missing out on his points from the get go I think I will look to get him later as an upgrade once he drops 50-80k

Ricochet

Quote from: fasttrack13 on January 27, 2016, 11:45:02 AM
Well he was in the Pies leadership group in 2010 and got done for drink driving of something :P

But yeh I think he's grown up a hell of a lot

shaker

Yes think Shaw will still AVG. 100+ but will drop off in price somewhat get him later and the backs seem to have some juicy priced players this year allowing mids , rucks , forwards to be strengthened  ;)

Spite

I'm down to 2 premos in defence this year. I feel like I'm borderline taking this strategy too far. Viable with Francis at d3 or nah?

Starting with a midfield of Pendles, Gaz, Rocky, Danger, Gray, Libba, Crouch/JOM (or both) feels kinda nice

Big Mac

Quote from: Spite on February 03, 2016, 10:43:01 PM
I'm down to 2 premos in defence this year. I feel like I'm borderline taking this strategy too far. Viable with Francis at d3 or nah?

Starting with a midfield of Pendles, Gaz, Rocky, Danger, Gray, Libba, Crouch/JOM (or both) feels kinda nice

All depends on the amount of rookies named in defence this year. As long as you aren't missing out on any important mid rookies, could be a good strategy

imo there are about 8 mids who I can confidently say will score well again this year, but I can only say the same about ~ 3 defenders, so I can see why you would go down this path

Spite

Quote from: Big  Mac on February 03, 2016, 11:20:59 PM
Quote from: Spite on February 03, 2016, 10:43:01 PM

All depends on the amount of rookies named in defence this year. As long as you aren't missing out on any important mid rookies, could be a good strategy

imo there are about 8 mids who I can confidently say will score well again this year, but I can only say the same about ~ 3 defenders, so I can see why you would go down this path

Yep thats it. Also I feel like I can confidently select enough back rookies at this stage. Mid rookies, I'm struggling for more than 5 or so

Mat0369

Quote from: Ricochet on January 27, 2016, 11:49:31 AM
Well he was in the Pies leadership group in 2010 and got done for drink driving of something :P

Fev was also in Carlton's leadership group, Carey was the captain at North, Karmichael Hunt was in the Suns leadership group.....

He has a history and he is priced at top dollar to start the year. If I get him in it will be as an upgrade. It was also the first season since 07 that he played 22 games (only two years where he has actually played a full year which are 07 and last season).

I am going cheap so I will go with only two or three guys over 400k and then maybe a mid price option or two and rookies. Bartel is under priced, he has the 5 from the knee injury which has brought down the average. Smith is also cheap due to the concussions. With the Bombers scenario we have Brown, Dea and Hartley that will all likely get games, there will be other rookies as well which pop up around the NAB and a few mid price options like Harwood, Aish and Mackenzie. I would rather use the cash that I would have to spend on Shaw on another premium on another line.

Ricochet

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 07, 2016, 06:48:53 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on January 27, 2016, 11:49:31 AM

Fev was also in Carlton's leadership group, Carey was the captain at North, Karmichael Hunt was in the Suns leadership group.....

He has a history and he is priced at top dollar to start the year. If I get him in it will be as an upgrade. It was also the first season since 07 that he played 22 games (only two years where he has actually played a full year which are 07 and last season).

I am going cheap so I will go with only two or three guys over 400k and then maybe a mid price option or two and rookies. Bartel is under priced, he has the 5 from the knee injury which has brought down the average. Smith is also cheap due to the concussions. With the Bombers scenario we have Brown, Dea and Hartley that will all likely get games, there will be other rookies as well which pop up around the NAB and a few mid price options like Harwood, Aish and Mackenzie. I would rather use the cash that I would have to spend on Shaw on another premium on another line.
Yep exactly mate

Not worried about Smith's draw? I'm staying away for that reason

Mat0369

Quote from: Ricochet on February 07, 2016, 06:53:46 PM
Yep exactly mate

Draws are overrated when looking at fantasy. You can't know that all these teams are going to strangle opposition players until the season gets under way and we get a clear vision.

Also sometimes some of the better teams allow a ton of fantasy points to opposition players in certain positions. If the ball is in the Crows back half a lot Smith should see a fair bit of the pill and uses it well. This should still see him score decently.

Ricochet

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 07, 2016, 11:10:49 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on February 07, 2016, 06:53:46 PM
Yep exactly mate

Draws are overrated when looking at fantasy. You can't know that all these teams are going to strangle opposition players until the season gets under way and we get a clear vision.

Also sometimes some of the better teams allow a ton of fantasy points to opposition players in certain positions. If the ball is in the Crows back half a lot Smith should see a fair bit of the pill and uses it well. This should still see him score decently.
Yeh normally i would agree, but someone checked his scoring against tougher sides and losses, and it was pretty concerning. Sloane was similar. I'll see if i can find it a bit later

Mat0369

Adelaide were a pretty meh team in 2014 and Smith had his best season to that point.