WXV: Beijing Thunder

Started by Toga, May 26, 2013, 07:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Quote from: CrowsFan on December 09, 2013, 10:16:24 AM
Quote from: Toga on December 08, 2013, 11:14:09 PM
Quote from: Master Q on December 08, 2013, 11:08:39 PM
Oliver Wines, James Aish, Josh Caddy, Lachie Neale and Kane Mitchell.

Talk about star studded midfield  8)

Add Sam Gray, Liam Shiels, Timmy Broomhead and Tom Temay to that, we've got some talent heading into the future! 8)
Well now you're just getting desperate! This is what you call a star studded midfield...

Rory Sloane, Chris Masten, Hamish Hartlett, Stephen Hill, David Zaharakis, Kyle Martin, Taylor Adams, Mitch Wallis, Jared Polec, Jonathan O'Rourke, Nathan Freeman all 24 or under.

The premier saying they have a better team than 17th is a little redundant CF :P

CrowsFan

Toga

Looking at the positional leaks I thought I'd have a crack at having a look at what our team might look like next year!

Best XV:

D: H.Taylor / C.Hooker / M.Talia / J.Thurlow
M: D.Stanley / O.Wines / J.Aish / M.Jones
R: M.Kreuzer
F: S.Mayes / J.Caddy / E.Betts / S.Gumbleton
I/C: B.Grundy / L.Shiels

Reserves:
D: E.Yeo / L.Stevenson / A.Carlile / D.Glass / H.Schade
M: M.Rosa / J.Battersby / S.Gray / K.Mitchell / T.Temay
R: R.Lobb / S.Naismith
F: T.Varcoe / B.Kennedy / T.Broomhead / M.Harvey / J.Butcher / J.Petrenko / R.Tarrant / J.Stewart / T.O'Brien

Toga

Really like the look of that team! A big priority for us in trading/drafting was improving our forwards a bit, which we have - a lot more depth this season! But I expect Mayes & Caddy to move back into the middle in the future so think the team structure won't be too unbalanced.

Got some great youth coming through in Talia, Thurlow, Wines, Aish, Kreuzer, Mayes, Caddy, Grundy, Shiels, Yeo, Battersby, Gray, Kennedy, Broomhead, Harvey, Stewart and O'Brien all under 23 y.o.!

Nige

Toga

Yeah I know, I was super surprised when I saw how many we had! Last year we struggled to get four forwards on at the same time, this year we'll probably be stacked! :o

Wasn't expecting Caddy to get DPP tbh, and I expect both he and Mayes will be mid only maybe as soon as 2015..

Nige

We'll take Petrenko and Butcher back then.

Just kidding, they're not welcome back as long as I'm at Cairo.  :P

Toga

Haha notice we recruited Mitch Harvey to cover ourselves if when Butcher is delisted :P

Nige

Quote from: Toga on December 10, 2013, 02:23:58 PM
Haha notice we recruited Mitch Harvey to cover ourselves if when Butcher is delisted :P
Clever!  :o

CrowsFan

Schade isn't on your rookie list remember :)

Toga

Bloody hell, I'll get it right eventually!

Thanks CF :)

Toga

Thunder starts with a bang

D: H. Taylor (75), C. Hooker (121), D. Glass (74), E. Yeo (75)
M: L. Shiels (VC) (108), O. Wines (145), D. Stanley (80), L. Neale (14)
R: M. Kreuzer (69)
F: S. Mayes (C) (198), J. Caddy (81), E. Betts (78), B. Kennedy (23)
I/C: B. Grundy (80), M. Rosa (128)

Great start to the season for the Thunder with a solid win over last year's wooden-spooners Wellington. While our first round opponents weren't too formidable, Beijing co-coaches Master Q and Toga were expecting of a first-up win for 2014 feeling that it was an important way to set the standards for the year ahead. Although the Thunder's starting lineup is still very young, there were some solid scorers across the board with our midfield in particular showing it is going to be a force in years to come, with young guns Oliver Wines and Liam Shiels among our best, while experienced heads Cale Hooker and Matt Rosa were also serviceable.

Beijing Thunder (20.15.135) defeated Wellington Warriors (17.15.117)
Beijing best: O Wines, M Rosa, C Hooker, L Shiels
Wellington best: B Deledio, M Murphy, S Dempster, T Mzungu

MVP Votes:
3. Oliver Wines
2. Matt Rosa
1. Cale Hooker

Reserves
Shanghai Storm (14.9.93) defeated Wellington Warriors (12.6.78)

Toga

Islanders survive storm

D: H.Taylor (86), C.Hooker (111), J.Hunt (41), E.Yeo (72)
M: O.Wines (C) (216), L.Shiels (54), D.Stanley (50), M.Rosa (95)
R: B.Grundy (81)
F: J.Caddy (VC) (71), S.Mayes (81), E.Betts (80), T.Varcoe (120)
I/C: M. Jones (75), J. Aish (77)

A devastating result for us this week with the Pacific Islanders getting up by just one point in a thriller at their home ground. It feels like it was the home ground advantage possessed by the Islanders was what got them over the line, and had the game been played on neutral soil the result might have told a different tale. Travis Varcoe was electric up forwards for the away side, while Cale Hooker and new club captain Oliver Wines were again among our best players. In other bad news Vice Captain and #1 ruckman Matty Kreuzuer has suffered a foot injury that will require surgery, which will see him miss most of the season. This leaves an opportunity for young gun Brodie Grundy to make the club's ruck mantle his for this season and beyond.

Pacific Islanders (20.12.132) defeated Beijing Thunder (19.17.131)
Pacific best: Jack Redden, C Hampton
Beijing best: T Varcoe, C Hooker, O Wines

MVP Votes:
3. Travis Varcoe
2. Cale Hooker
1. Oliver Wines

Reserves:
Port Morseby Iguanadones (17.10.112) defeated Shanghai Storm (6.9.45)

Toga

Grundy a Rising Star

Congratulations to Beijing youngster Brodie Grundy who has been earned the WXV Round 2 Rising Star nomination for his efforts in the nail-biter against Pacific on the weekend. Grundy was recognised for his 30 hitout, 15 possession, 5 tackle game against the Islanders. Beijing's coaches are said to be pleased with his effort on the weekend, but are reported to have told him to work on his discipline, as Grundy's output could have been of a far higher level if not for the 5 frees he gave away during the match.

Grundy showed signs of superstar potential in 2013, playing 6 games and averaging 18 hitouts per match, however he is fast becoming renowned for his work rate around the ground which is very impressive for a player of his size.

In other related news, star ruckman Matthew Kreuzer is said to have suffered a serious foot injury which will see him miss most of the 2014 season.

Toga

Kreuzer's injury woes continue

Disappointing news for the club today with star ruckman Matthew Kreuzer set to undergo surgery on a serious foot injury that will see him miss a majority of the 2014 WXV season. Kreuzer is reported to have had surgery on his troublesome foot at the conclusion of the 2013 premiership season, however scans have revealed that the injury is not healing as was hoped, meaning that club doctors will likely see Kreuzer on the surgeons table again shortly.

This news comes just hours after it was announced that the club's back-up ruckman Brodie Grundy was the recipient of the Round 2 WXV Rising Star nomination, suggesting that the club's tap work will be in capable hands while their marquee player is sidelined.

Kreuzer's return time is listed by the club as between 12 and 14 weeks, which should see him placed on the club's Long Term Injury List, possibly leaving a spot available for a rookie to be promoted. Young ruckman Sam Naismith looks to be an obvious candidate to replace Kreuzer on the senior list, however the club will advise the public of any news in the coming weeks.