Main Menu

From hunter to hunted...

Started by ossie85, February 25, 2013, 10:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

The Swans, perenially underrated, were extremely deserving Premiers last year. Defeating hoodoos in 3 consecutive matches (Adelaide, Collingwood, MCG) - and will be forever grateful they defeating that overrated Hawks team! (Not so much when they defeated my overrated Pies team lol).

BUT, the dynamic has changed?

Do they still have the hunger?

And I guess my biggest question, how will they cope from being the hunter to the hunted?

Yesterday's games (and I know the Swans were understrength) has to be at least a little concerning... Though the Swans have a long history of tanking the NAB cup (hell, Roos basically even admitted to it one day - but I don't see the Swans with a $500k fine lol!).

Thoughts?

stew42

The Swans use the NAB to test rookies. It's probably only just more important than the intraclubs. We haven't taken it seriously like, ever. But we have the best finals record in the past decade. No worries  ;D

EDIT: Oh, and last time Swans went from hunter to hunted, they got to the GF. Again.  ;D

ossie85

Whoops, I've posted this in the wrong section :/ Will ask other mods to move it

Ziplock

did you look at the comparative teams GWS, carlton and the swans fielded?

giants were missing like ward and cornes

carlton were missing like kreuzer, judd and scotland

the swans fielded their entire rookie list and draftees for the year

here's a list of some of the swans players (who played against the giants in any case)
brandon jack, xavier richards, tom walsh, membrey, lockyer, towers, naismith, biggs, rampe, cunningham, jed lamb, jessie white.

I would expect maybe 2, 3 possibly of those guys would play over 10 games this year. Compare that to the giants squad, who I think everyone maybe barring two or 3 blokes will play 10+, or the blues whose only players of similarly questionable JS was casboult, dale, rowe, lucas, davies, bell

kind of saw that outcome happening...

My Chumps

Yeah, not at all concerned about the NAB cup results, but Oss does bring up a fair point...

Although I really don't care that much seeing as we won the premiership last year :P

Samm79

No need for concern, if it was round one of he premiership that would be of concern!! I cannot imagine the hunger dissipating, too many 110% personalities and no major egos to upset the balance. I am more than quietly confident that we can go back to back. Maybe I am looking through blood coloured glasses but for me the reasons are as follows:

- our percentage was not far off the Hawks and quite a way in front of the next best team
- only Goodes and Bolton may have less output in 2013 than last year. I can see the other older heads at least maintaining their out put
- Jack, JPK, Hanners, Parker, Johnstone, Bird, Jetta, Reid, Smith and the rest of the youngens should improve again.
- Tippett can only make us a better team
- we have coaches who are prepared to go outside the normal patterns to find goals. That goal early in the second half of he GF where Jetta found Jack and JPK at the top of the arc early in the second half was not by chance and outside the boundary hugging norm and I think they will continue this way of playing.
- best defence in the league, it gave away fewer points than any other defensive unit. Attacking proese always seems to be weighed more heavily than the defensive equivilant.
- our worst 5 players within the team are better than any other teams worst 5.

I also think West Coast are a bigger danger than the Hawks as they have more natural improvement in them. Their list is starting to look scary good, just injuries are flawing them for the moment...

Pies will be nothing without Dawes (kidding). I have them inline with the hawks.

Capper

Its a bit harsh saying that the Swans were tanking in the NAB. We have Goodes, Smith, Shaw, Mumford and Mattner all in the rehab group along with Mitchell.

The Swans have never taken the NAB cup seriously since Paul Roos took over the coaching of the Swans. They use the NAB cup to give their rookies a chance to play in the 1s so they dont get nervous when they actually do play their first game during the regular season.

Not sure why Pyke didnt play but with only White and Naismith in the rucks, it was going to be rough.

I made the call on chat before both games had started, that the Swans wouldnt win either game. It was good to see the rookies get a run though.