BBL|06 and WBBL|02: Match Discussion Thread!

Started by PowerBug, December 09, 2016, 04:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Lynn woulda scored 198 if his shoulder was all good

PowerBug

Ringo

And the squads are in.
One change for the Strikers. Michael Neser, who went for 28 in 1.4 overs last time round, has been replaced by left-arm spinner Tom Andrews.
Strikers XI: Hodge (c), Weatherald, Dunk, Dean, Head, Pollard, Jordan, Andrews, Laughlin, Stanlake, O'Connor

Simon Milenko's 2 for 50 in four overs wasn't good enough for the Hurricanes. He's replaced by Hamish Kingston, who was swapped for Ben Dunk at the start of this season.
Hurricanes XI: Paine (c), Short, Sangakkara, Bailey, Christian, Wells, Webster, Kingston, Rose, Boyce, Broad

Brad Hodge has won the toss and the Strikers will bowl first.

PowerBug

Now this is the Strikers I want to see more often 8)

Jukes

Another real howler of a decision there

All forms of professional cricket (financial and technological resources permitting) should implement DRS tbh

PowerBug

Quote from: Jukes on January 06, 2017, 10:24:59 PM

All forms of professional cricket (financial and technological resources permitting) should implement DRS tbh
I can only go off the cricinfo commentary: "Hodge seems a likely candidate this ball, having moved across onto off stump and flicking around his front pad. Replays indicate he was hit in line with off stump, and would be crashing into middle "

I wouldn't particularly say that getting the impact wrong by 0.5 to 1 stump width is a howler. Wrong call yeah, howler no. But I haven't seen the vision, maybe it was a ball that was pretty obvious to tell its line. Also the ump probably got the call wrong by less than Hodge missed the ball by ;)

Torpedo10

Quote from: PowerBug on January 06, 2017, 10:39:42 PM

I can only go off the cricinfo commentary: "Hodge seems a likely candidate this ball, having moved across onto off stump and flicking around his front pad. Replays indicate he was hit in line with off stump, and would be crashing into middle "

I wouldn't particularly say that getting the impact wrong by 0.5 to 1 stump width is a howler. Wrong call yeah, howler no. But I haven't seen the vision, maybe it was a ball that was pretty obvious to tell its line. Also the ump probably got the call wrong by less than Hodge missed the ball by ;)
It was hitting middle and leg, absolute howler.

fanTCfool

That Boyce decision was absolutely shocking, feeling guilty now so they gave Pollard out, turns out he was anyway.

PowerBug

Quote from: Torpedo10 on January 06, 2017, 10:42:50 PM

You missed my point completely... at what point did I say anything about the ball hitting/missing the stumps? ::) I am 100% certain that the umpire wouldn't have thought that ball was missing the stumps if technology says it was hitting middle.

Torpedo10

Quote from: PowerBug on January 06, 2017, 10:45:56 PM

You missed my point completely... at what point did I say anything about the ball hitting/missing the stumps? ::) I am 100% certain that the umpire wouldn't have thought that ball was missing the stumps if technology says it was hitting middle.
Okay then, so why did the umpire give him not out?

PowerBug

Quote from: Torpedo10 on January 06, 2017, 10:53:10 PM

Read what I said I thought I made it pretty clear as to why it would've been given not out. I bolded the key word for you too! :)

Gigantor

Quote from: PowerBug on January 06, 2017, 10:56:09 PM

Read what I said I thought I made it pretty clear as to why it would've been given not out. I bolded the key word for you too! :)

It pitched on leg so the only thing it could be was the ump thought it was pitching outside

PowerBug

Quote from: Gigantor on January 06, 2017, 11:00:30 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on January 06, 2017, 10:56:09 PM

It pitched on leg so the only thing it could be was the ump thought it was pitching outside
Then the commentary line I copied was wrong? Oh well, I think people are too harsh on umpires :P

And we won easily despite the bias in the commentary box that were trying to make a game of it for far too long, now to make a charge to the top 4 :)

Ringo

Agree PB we are more harsh on umpires than we were years ago because of technology. Need to realise that umpires have a split second to make a decision and then that the decision is reviewed numerous times with the aid of technology. (I still have reservations about Ball Tracker though as i think there are some errors there). 
I really feel for umpires as they have to watch for the front foot no ball and then get focused on where the ball pitches quickly. If the front foot no ball is to remain I would like to see the cyclops technology used to identify no ball allowing the umpires to concentrate on the ball at Batsmens end. 

fanTCfool

Lawford has chased 4 balls down to the fence already  ;D