WXV Semi Finals: Reindeers v Tigers, Jaguars v Revolution

Started by Purple 77, August 09, 2016, 09:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Dublin & Mexico City get to kick back and relax this week. Who will they play in the prelims?

Semi Finals, AFL Round 21

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                              Head-to-Head
Rio de Janeiro JaguarsNew York RevolutionMaracana Stadium2  v  0
PNL ReindeersNew Delhi TigersState de France4  v  1

It can't end like this... can it? The last time these two teams met was back in Round 9 where along with the next 4 weeks, Rio were averaging 150 ppg and riding high on the ladder. But there was a reason why I stopped at the next 4 weeks... because the week after, GAJ went down, and so has Rio. Including the injury game, Rio have scored 127, 145, 130, 125 and last week bitterly disappointed with a 117 on their finals debut. The loss especially stings, because Mexico City don't score as low as 133 that often. Mind you, premium ruck Sam Jacobs missing the match through injury didn't help, but with his likely return this week, do the Jaguars have enough in them to do their H&A season justice and make the prelims? The Jags' 2-0 record over the Revolution would give them confidence, but a returning star or two would too and that'd be the only chance I give them at beating an in-form Revolution.
That Revolution performance was absolutely fantastic last week! Not only did they score big (154), but they scored it with having an OOP ruck, an injury effected player and coming off a questionable line of form! It was the Revolutions' 3rd highest score of the season, and the timing of it just made it even better, because not only did it get them the win against a quality Islander outfit; it was a timely reminder about how high their ceiling is. New York might still yet have to face another OOP ruck this week and won't have the benefit (how little is was) against Rio, but they'd be comforted to hear that they've outscored the Jaguars in the previous 3 weeks and, given the Jags' sliding form, might even enter this match as favourites. Had both these teams played each other each week this year, they'd be tied at 9-9! But, so they should, when you consider that pre-finals, these teams sat 3rd and 4th on the points ladder. This game should be a real ripper, but I think I like the Revolution here.

Good, lord that was good game last week. The Reindeers scored 1583 points (the second most of the round) in another inspired performance at Crooke Park, but got done on Dublin's HGA! The Reindeers (IIRC) have only won one finals match in their 5-year history (last year's semi against Berlin), and coupled with their infamous "Blitz" which has seemingly been passed on, you naturally wonder if the Reindeers get the yips at finals? Nah, that's bull. This team is too good to bow out of finals now and they'd be desperate to avoid being knocked out in straight sets after their inspiring second half of the season. The record over their opponent (4-1) is quite favourable, and the last time they played back in Round 6 saw an uninspiring 129-116 victory that funnily enough determined which team had HGA in this game. I tend to get chatty when a team is struggling with a certain aspect(s) of their game, so really, there isn't much to say about PNL at the moment.
The Tigers! They just keep going, and no one wants it to stop! New Delhi was in raptures last week over its first ever finals victory, and quite a comprehensive one too. That has seen the Tigers winning streak stretch out to 6 on the trot; effectively 6 victorious elimination finals in a row... it's kinda hard not to get excited about it with them! It's interesting to think that, between New Delhi and PNL from Round 8 onwards, they've only registered 4 losses between them... these two teams are literally the most successful teams from that point (sharing with Dublin). Choosing between these two likeable teams will be tough for tipsters, so I'll throw this stat at you; if PNL & New Delhi played each other each week this year, PNL would lead 9 wins, 1 draw and 7 losses, but out of the last 9 weeks, only one loss and draw. I actually kinda think PNL are the form team of the comp at the moment, so I'll tip the Reindeers in my MATCH OF THE ROUND, but I won't mind the Tigers winning either!

And don't forget the reserves!

Just two teams (Berlin & Buenos Aires) playing this week aren't playing seniors. What I require from you, is that you NAME YOUR BEST SENIOR XV like you were playing finals. I will be scrutinising your best XV to determine if that is really who you would play, so as to ensure that the players available for the reserves matches are the ones that would normally be available. If I don't agree, then I will name one for you.

Semi Finals, AFL Round 21

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                           
Copacabana CapuchinsRhineland Rum-RunnersMaracana Stadium
La Plata ArmadaWashington RebellionEstadio de River

meow meow

DazBurg

lol told you already purps
but love the choice of lewis photo with the write up

Hellopplz

Awesome write up Purps as usual.

Tough match ahead against Dehli who've basically won as many Finals as we have if I remember correctly :-X. So in Finals, we're neck and neck! Just need to hope things come together and we can continue our form from past 10 weeks or so :D.

Ricochet

Amazing Purps

And good luck PNL

But all aboard the Delhi Train!

RaisyDaisy

I'm going to miss reading these when the season is over Purps

Fantastic job as always

2 absolutely cracking matches here - should be a very exciting weekend!

Hellopplz

Quote from: Ricochet on August 09, 2016, 11:03:25 PM
Amazing Purps

And good luck PNL

Sadly it'll come to an abrupt fairytale end this weekend >:D.

Ricochet

Quote from: Hellopplz on August 09, 2016, 11:53:19 PM
Amazing Purps

And good luck PNL

PNL's luck?? You're probably right

Hellopplz

Quote from: Ricochet on August 10, 2016, 12:00:04 AM
Amazing Purps

And good luck PNL

That ran out 3 weeks ago, but should still have enough in the tank for at least another 3 wins this finals series :P.

ossie85

Ricochet

Quote from: Hellopplz on August 10, 2016, 12:00:55 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on August 10, 2016, 12:00:04 AM
Amazing Purps

And good luck PNL

That ran out 3 weeks ago, but should still have enough in the tank for at least another 3 wins this finals series :P.
haha, after such a tough week last week surely the boys might struggle to back it up??  :P
Either way, I'm just stoked we're playing finals ;D

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Ricochet on August 10, 2016, 09:41:14 AM

Don't settle for that Rico, I'm hoping NDT and New York can be the big success stories of 16 and make Prelims!

Let's do it!

Sorry PNL and Rio, but the underdogs are coming!

Holz

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 10, 2016, 10:50:05 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on August 10, 2016, 09:41:14 AM

Don't settle for that Rico, I'm hoping NDT and New York can be the big success stories of 16 and make Prelims!

Let's do it!

Sorry PNL and Rio, but the underdogs are coming!

NDT are the true underdog story. Joke two years ago, were still not even finals contenders last year and now they stand a good chance of making prelims.

New York are not an underdog made finals last year, scored 4th most points in the comp.

Rio wasnt in the finals last year and are hit with massive injuries they are the underdogs.

GO NDT and RIO the true underdogs.

But also GO PNL as they are an ally.

In summary Boo New York

RaisyDaisy

Boo Dublin!

We made finals last year (Our first year as coaches), but before that were handed a team that couldn't even field 15 lol, so yeah we've come a long way in a short period of time too

Rio got all the good stuff from Sao Paolo, and we've both been hit with injuries so boo Dublin again!

ossie85

So I believe these 4 teams have only won 1 final between them!