Colley Dogs 2021

Started by Colley Dogs, February 22, 2021, 12:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colley Dogs

DEF: Lloyd; Laird; Williams; Harmes; Milera; Jones (Wehr; Worrell)

MID: Neale; Merrett: Walsh; Cripps; Anderson; Hately; Lazzaro; Valente (Macrae; E. Smith; Berry)

RUC: Gawn; Grundy (Treacy)

FOR: Martin; Rozee; Zieball; Daniher; Impey; Campbell (Rowe; Chugg)

Bank: 8.3K

--

Clearly, I've over-invested in Defence (with only 1 on-field Rookie), and under-invested in the Forwards (Rozee & Zieball at F2/3 respectively).

I'm not crazy about this structure. To be honest, the whole thing feels off. But I'm following the path of least resistance, and this is where I keep ending up.

I've outlined my thinking re the premium Forwards & rookie Defenders in a number of threads, so won't go into detail here.

Keepers bold
Mid-Pricers underlined

Milera / Hately / Zieball are my Mid-Pricer cash cows
Harmes / Anderson / Rozee are my Mid-Pricer keepers

Assuming we have a year with an average amount of injuries, I can probably luxury correct-trade one of Harmes / Anderson / Rozee in the back-end of the season. But really, I'm picking these three on the basis they're there to stay. I'm not too fussed about their negatives, as they're my gambles for now. I don't need for them to break out. For my purposes, I'm hoping for 90 / 100 / 90 respectively. Anything more will be a bonus; anything less, a fail. I could rejig things to turn Anderson into Cunnington/Taranto/Serong etc., but I like the Anderson pick with everyone else on Rowell. Harmes/Milera could become Young/Cumming if I want to protect the defensive structure with only 1 on-field rookie. Rozee can't become anyone (Heeney at a stretch, but I'm gun shy) Rozee's the riskiest of the lot, and sort of needs to come off.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks for looking  :)

Money Shot

On paper this team looks very risky in terms of your definite keepers but everyone may need to take risks like this if there is in fact a lack of rookies come round 1.

You’ve got the absolute locks that you need and for what it’s worth I like the Harmes and Rozee picks.
Anderson I don’t mind but think he is a bit of a nothing pick in a sense as I don’t see him improving his average enough to be a keeper which is what you would want from someone at that price point.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: Money Shot on February 22, 2021, 02:06:40 PM
On paper this team looks very risky in terms of your definite keepers but everyone may need to take risks like this if there is in fact a lack of rookies come round 1.

You’ve got the absolute locks that you need and for what it’s worth I like the Harmes and Rozee picks.
Anderson I don’t mind but think he is a bit of a nothing pick in a sense as I don’t see him improving his average enough to be a keeper which is what you would want from someone at that price point.

Totally valid points.

I like to have one differentiator every season, and this year I've sort of talked myself into going with Anderson. Scored well at the back-end of last season when he was moved inside; and this year Stuart Dew has said how they thought they'd drafted him as a winger, but by round 22 had formed the opinion his most effective position was going to be as an inside mid. Been training there all pre-season, and tearing it up from all reports. 

My whole team is underpinned by my belief we don't have the usual strength and depth of Rookies in defence (excellent talent and potential, but low JS).

Should I be convinced I can run with two on-field Rookie defenders:

Milera > Highmore (e.g)
Anderson > Rowell

Should I be convinced I can run with three on-field Rookies, then also:

Harmes > Chugg (e.g)
Lloyd > McDonald (e.g)
Chugg > Dangerfield

Thanks for your comments, Money Shot. Good luck for the season!

:)

shaker

Guns and rookies way to go you always end up with one or two mid price players but going with a lot is fraught with danger currently I have 1 player between 250K - 440K range Ziebell

Colley Dogs

Quote from: shaker on February 22, 2021, 03:35:49 PM
Guns and rookies way to go you always end up with one or two mid price players but going with a lot is fraught with danger currently I have 1 player between 250K - 440K range Ziebell

Agree Shaker... as a general rule.

But you need around 16 viable playing Rookies to run a Guns 'n Rookies set up (8 on-field/ 7 Bench + Ruck for loop).

I believe everyone's overestimating the depth of Rookies this year. We need a spread of Rookies that will play 5 or 6 out of the first eight rounds. I think there might be 12 or 13 out there, but not the 15 or 16 you need for a Guns 'n Rookies team.

I believe a lot of these highly owned Rookies are going to be omitted/rested more often than usual. This season - following the COVID season - is not back to normal, in my view.

I may be wrong, but I've set up my team to accommodate for that. Very easy to rejig back into a Guns 'n Rookies team as teams are dropped.

shaker

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 22, 2021, 06:41:51 PM
Quote from: shaker on February 22, 2021, 03:35:49 PM

Agree Shaker... as a general rule.

But you need around 16 viable playing Rookies to run a Guns 'n Rookies set up (8 on-field/ 7 Bench + Ruck for loop).

I believe everyone's overestimating the depth of Rookies this year. We need a spread of Rookies that will play 5 or 6 out of the first eight rounds. I think there might be 12 or 13 out there, but not the 15 or 16 you need for a Guns 'n Rookies team.

I believe a lot of these highly owned Rookies are going to be omitted/rested more often than usual. This season - following the COVID season - is not back to normal, in my view.

I may be wrong, but I've set up my team to accommodate for that. Very easy to rejig back into a Guns 'n Rookies team as teams are dropped.

Seems about the same every year with rookies if they are named R1 put them in and there seems to be quite a few forgotten players that have been in the system that pop up most seasons but for me it's those 250 to 400 K players that can ruin your year that I avoid as much as possible , anyway the scratch matches start this Thursday I think so we will soon have a better idea  ;)

Colley Dogs

Following the on-point feedback of my first version... I've come up with a second version.

My sole objective was to reduce the number of the 250K - 450K mid-pricers.

I previously had six players in this bracket... now I have three.

--

DEF: Laird; Stewart; Williams; Harmes; Jones; Wehr (Highmore; Worrell)

MID: Neale; Oliver; Walsh; Cripps; Rowell; Heppell; Valente; Lazzaro (Macrae; E. Smith; Berry)

RUC: Gawn; Grundy (Treacy)

FOR: Dunkley; Martin; Ziebell; Daniher; Impey; Cox (Rowe; Chugg)

Bank: 23.9K

--

12 Keepers
3 Mid-Pricers

If Harmes plays through the mids and averages 90, then 13 Keepers / 2 Mid-Pricers.

The argument for Cox instead of Campbell: with Cox/Chugg looping to Worrell, I effectively have six players covering 2 on-field Rookie spots in defence.

Money Shot

Much better team in my opinion.

Now we wait and pray that rookies pop up.