AXV: Mongolian Lambs

Started by Toga, September 04, 2013, 09:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

You guys will be very strong again, could win every game bar 2 :o Manila Folders is where it's at 8) #banter

Toga

Quote from: nrich102 on November 18, 2013, 09:49:26 PM
You guys will be very strong again, could win every game bar 2 :o Manila Folders is where it's at 8) #banter

Thanks mate. I feel like we've been able to improve our list a bit, particularly in the depth department, without losing too much out of our Best XV. I think Knights could well out-average Jack Roo if he stays fit, and having Rance down back, while it might not get me as many points each week, I feel more confident I can rely on him week in-week out, as Malceski's past injuries are definitely a concern.

I'm also pretty happy with how the squad looks age-wise! Some old heads tied in amongst the fresher faces!

Oh, and we'll get you where it hurts this year! ;)

Toga

2013 Drafting News

2013 AXV National Draft:

Pick 1 (#14 Overall): Luke Dunstan

Position: Inside midfielder (185cm/83kg)

Toga says: "A physically imposing figure for his age, Luke Dunstan is ready made for AFL footy and should see games at the Saints this year. While he will be down the pecking order for a run in the Mongolian midfield in 2014, we have some older heads that will be moving on in the next few years by which time Lukey should be ready to step up for a regular senior role. Touted as having exceptional leadership capabilities, we expect Luke to develop into a fine young player for our footy club."

Pick 2 (#22 Overall): Rory Lobb

Position: Ruck (205cm/98kg)

Toga says: "Very much a project player, Lobb is quite new to the game being from a basketball background. Playing WAFL seniors in 2013, he averaged 12 disposals, 3 marks and 24 hit outs per game, which is pretty impressive for a guy relatively new to the game. While he won't be ready to play senior footy in 2014 for Mongolia, we hope he can emulate the careers of some other ex-basketballers in Scott Pendlebury & Brodie Grundy."

Pick 3 (#26 Overall): Toby Nankervis

Position: Ruck/Forward (199cm/100kg)

Toga says: "Toby Nankervis completes our ruck line, giving us great depth as we now possess five players in this position. Add to that the fact that he is a likely fill in for Swans and Lambs teammates Mike Pyke/Kurt Tippett if they get struck down by injury, we expect Nankervis to be the man that replaces them in the AFL, giving us another option in our AXV team. Nankervis was undoubtedly the premier junior ruck man this year, averaging 92.2 ppg across the national championships, being awarded the Div 2 Best Player.

Pick 4 (#30 Overall): Nathan Gordon

Position: Midfielder/Forward (186cm/86kg)

Toga says: "Nathan "Nippa" Gordon was recruited by us with our fourth selection overall as we were in need of immediate forward depth, which is something we feel Nippa will be able to provide for us. A mature-age recruit, now 23 years of age, Gordon is able to play both in the midfield and up forwards as either a dangerous small forward or a marking target. We feel as though at least one of Nippa and Chris Knights will play for the Tigers each week, if not both, improving our forward depth which is what we were hoping to improve with this selection, and we feel as though we got the best option available with this pick.

Pick 5 (#62 Overall): James Sicily

Position: Forward/Midfielder

Toga says: "James is a very versatile player in the mould of Bangladesh young gun Nat Fyfe, and displays many similar traits to Fyfe. Being quite slight of frame, it's unlikely we'll see James get senior action in 2014 until he puts on some weight in the gym, and when he does eventually break into the side it's possible he will start his career in the forward line, however we see him as moving into the midfield as he gains experience. Best used as a goal kicking midfielder, kicking 26 goals in his TAC cup season. We are stoked to have been able to pick up James this late in the draft."

2013 AXV Rookie/Preseason Draft:

Pick 1 (#2 Overall): Cameron O'Shea

Position: Defender

Toga says: "A skilful rebounding defender that we had our eye on from day dot when we realised he wasn't on an AXV list last season. Averaging a solid 92 points per game in 2013, ranking him inside the top 50 defenders in the competition, O'Shea was targeted to cover the loss of veteran defender Nick Malceski who was traded to Manila. Unfortunately we have no room on our senior list right now so Cameron will spend 2014 as a rookie-listed player, however we aim to upgrade him in the 2014 National Draft."

Pick 2 (#30 Overall): Charlie Cameron

Position: Forward

Toga says: "An exciting prospect with pace to burn, Cameron is a small forward from Swan Districts in WA. Having played plenty of senior footy in WA we expect Charlie to be able to have an impact in his first season at the club, however he will have to spend this season on the rookie list, and depending on how he goes in 2014 we may look to grant him a senior position next year. A tackling machine with silky skills and a strong mark for his size, we are rapt to have recruited Charlie in the rookie draft this week.

Colliwobblers

great work Toga, drafting and on the team thread. very nice.

Toga

Thanks Coll, very happy with our drafting. People might not agree with having 5 rucks on our list, but Pyke probably only has a year or two left in the system and now my rucks are set for the future. Lobb is going to be a gun, mark my words!

I'll update the team list/player photos once all drafting is finished & positions are announced :)

Colliwobblers

my bxvs rucks

Cox
Roughead
Hickey
Daw
Nankervis

5 makes sense to me :)

Nige

Rory Lobb's a good looking rooster! #nohomo

Toga

@CW, yeah I like Pyke, Giles, Nankervis, Lobb and Moller - makes sense to me as well. I should have at least two playing each week you would think. Plus Dixon R/F and Giles may get it 2015 gives me nice versatility 8)

@Nige, it's that jaw line :-* #GoodLookingLamb

Nige

Quote from: Toga on November 25, 2013, 11:02:44 PM
@Nige, it's that jaw line :-* #GoodLookingLamb
Those eyes, they're mesmerising.

Toga

Now that we've finished our part in the drafts, with our 2013draftees filling up both our lists, I'll try to start updating our team lists in the OP!

Pretty happy with Dunstan, Lobb, Nankervis, Gordon, Sicily, O'Shea and Cameron I must say 8)

Toga

Team lists updated post Trade Period #1 and Drafting...

Quote from: Toga on September 04, 2013, 09:18:33 PM
BEST XV

DEF: J. McVeigh, P. Hanley, B. Houli, A. Rance

MID: S. Johnson, R. O'Keefe, M. Murphy, M. Priddis

RUC: M. Pyke

FWD: D. Petrie, K. Tippett, C. Dixon, H. Ballantyne

UTL: S. Thompson, A. Cooney

RESERVES

DEF: L. Dunn, N. Smith, N. Bock, T. Logan, S. Gilham

MID: H.Hartlett, N. van Berlo, G. Horlin-Smith, T. Hunt, A. Moore, L. Dunstan, T. Colyer

RUC: J. Giles, T. Nankervis, R. Lobb, C. Moller

FWD: C.Knights, T.J. Lynch, N. Gordon, H. Crozier, A. Young, D. Armfield, Cl. Cameron, J. Sicily

Rookie list: C. O'Shea (DEF), K. Hartigan (DEF), M. Newman (MID), M. Duffy (FWD), C. Williams (FWD), Ch. Cameron (FWD)

Thanks to Ads for keeping us all in check ;)

SydneyRox

ANNOUNCEMENT

It is with a heavy heart, tinged with joy that I need to announce my resignation as an Assistant Coach for the Mighty Mongolians Lambs to take on the head coaching role for the Vietnam Vipers.

Thanks to Toga for all the help and support along the way, and I hope we can develop a good rivalry between the teams

Toga

Congratulations SydneyRox, and thanks for all the advice and time you've put in to this team during your time as an assistant! We look forwards to meeting you on the field next year! >:D #WrathOfTheLambs

Toga

New Assistant Coach Unveiled

The Lambs are very excited to today announce that we have recruited a new assistant coach to cover the loss of new Vipers Head Coach SydneyRox. After much speculation over the last few days, we can confirm that former Manila and Tibet assistant NigeyS will be taking on an assistant role at our club after turning down offers from rival clubs. This will take some pressure off of the club's current coach, also presenting another avenue for trading and drafting advice.

We're looking forwards to the coming season as we feel we can again be a serious premiership contender as we were last year, after finishing as the minor premiers after the home and away season. Bring on 2014!

Ricochet

Nigey jumping ship to join the Lambs #chasingapremiership #bandwagoner :P