C-19 Strategy changes

Started by Pokerface, March 16, 2020, 05:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pokerface

It is difficult to plan for changes around the AFL season due to the coronavirus until the AFL make an announcement.. but in all likelihood many changes to the season will be made after our starting squads are locked out.

However there are a number of rumours around options the AFL is considering for contingency planning. One of the most credible/logical is that there may be a case where the season shuts down for a period of weeks, hence they will try to cram several matches into a shorter space of time, particularly early.

With this in mind, are you reconsidering certain players who are more susceptible to resting due to injury return/injury prone/age/workload management etc? Springing to mind immediately are Tom Mitchell, Jack Steven and Sam Docherty.
It certainly is making me lean back towards Lachie Neale, who I passed over to save 20k-ish

Pokerface

Actually if Cameron/Xerri don't get up it does make Jackson a viable R3 alternative if Max is managed early too.

Southstorm

With the way things are trending right now, I'm going to be surprised if the season starts this week at all. So many questions the AFL can't answer.

How do interstate games get approached when airports are a major source of contamination?
What happens to playing groups when one player tests positive and they've all been in contact?
What happens to opposition teams who have played against a player who was infectious during the game and later tested positive?

LordSneeze

Yeah, I cant see the season starting on Thursday, too many unknowns and risk is high. If it starts Thursday ill be going a less risky route qth Prems and only 1 or 2 players that have a high likelihood of Restings.

I reckon there will be a 4 week delay applied and scheduled start Easter Long Weekend. This will be revisited in 2-3 weeks time.

Im hoping that all the measures that are being put in place right now nationally will prevent the spread compared to what other countries have seen.

Confirmed - 17 Round Season announced

Pokerface

Just announced its a 17 week season, each team playing each other once.

Happy enough to go Cogs rather than an uber in this scenario

shaker

Quote from: LordSneeze on March 16, 2020, 06:32:58 PM
Yeah, I cant see the season starting on Thursday, too many unknowns and risk is high. If it starts Thursday ill be going a less risky route qth Prems and only 1 or 2 players that have a high likelihood of Restings.

I reckon there will be a 4 week delay applied and scheduled start Easter Long Weekend. This will be revisited in 2-3 weeks time.

Im hoping that all the measures that are being put in place right now nationally will prevent the spread compared to what other countries have seen.

Confirmed - 17 Round Season announced
Why is the risk high ? 44 players plus coaches and staff plus umpires in an empty stadium plus someone to let them in and how are they going to stop it with schools and uni's open and hundreds of thousands people cramming onto public transport every day ? but stopping the footy is not going to stop the explosion of this virus.

oh_lol

I can understand they want to cut the games to 17.
What I don't understand is they still want to start the season on the original dates.
What's the point of cutting the season then? So the season just ends in August? The virus may be under control by then? No one knows what it'll be like then, but we know it's not looking good now.

shaker

Quote from: oh_lol on March 16, 2020, 07:31:47 PM
What I don't understand is they still want to start the season on the original dates.
What's the point of cutting the season then? So the season just ends in August? The virus may be under control by then? No one knows what it'll be like then, but we know it's not looking good now.
Pretty sure it won't be starting this week the season is 6 weeks shorter plus the byes so I'm guessing it won't start for 2 months probably still with empty stadiums unless there is a miracle.

Mahogany

I get the impression they want to get at least 4 rounds done with which will mean any enforced halting of games won’t have such a massive impact as there will only be 13 weeks needed to finish the home and away season. If they stop now, it’s puts more pressure when and if it gets up and running again as they will still have the full 17 weeks to play.

shaker

Quote from: Mahogany on March 16, 2020, 07:39:47 PM
I get the impression they want to get at least 4 rounds done with which will mean any enforced halting of games won’t have such a massive impact as there will only be 13 weeks needed to finish the home and away season. If they stop now, it’s puts more pressure when and if it gets up and running again as they will still have the full 17 weeks to play.
We will see tomorrow but if it goes pear shaped with the virus like other countries there is still a possibility of no footy this year and a mate said he's heard chatter that quite a lot of players are against starting this week.

frenzy

they say they have til Xmas to play 17 Rnds  :o and I think they are saying, they'll shut it down and isolate everyone  for 14 days at a  time when a player is tested positive. Don't panic thou, Queensland doctor's reckon they found the cure already.

MontyJnr

Quote from: oh_lol on March 16, 2020, 07:31:47 PM

The whole season will stop for 14 days if any player tests positive, so there could be like 2 week breaks (at least) between rounds at some stages of the year.

So it certainly makes sense to try and squeeze some rounds in now while no-one is infected. If we can finish in August with no infections - great outcome.

Wanderer

Quote from: shaker on March 16, 2020, 07:54:27 PM
Quote from: Mahogany on March 16, 2020, 07:39:47 PM
We will see tomorrow but if it goes pear shaped with the virus like other countries there is still a possibility of no footy this year and a mate said he's heard chatter that quite a lot of players are against starting this week.
Majority of the players voted to play round 1 as planned

Samsturmfels

With there now only being 17 rounds whats everyone's thoughts on the best strategy to attempt to combat the loss of rounds? i

Money Shot

Quote from: Samsturmfels on March 17, 2020, 12:33:11 PM
With there now only being 17 rounds whats everyone's thoughts on the best strategy to attempt to combat the loss of rounds? i
Have to take a risk on a few more mid pricers I reckon.

Nothing too drastic though.