Main Menu

Waite escapes serious injury

Started by Mat0369, July 06, 2013, 06:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Vinny

Thank god ! If Waite could get his body right - The blues could be in a better position. We struggled without him on Friday.

Hope the blues can turn the season around. Been pretty disappointing with the close losses. :(

its me lads

When Waite is going he's great, he's just not going much. I think you would have won the game if he had of played the whole game.

I reckon you guys would really benefit from grabbing another big tall through the trade week to work alongside him and then give you another solid option when he's out.

Mat0369

We actually stacked up on key forwards a couple of drafts back, but as everyone knows, they take time to develop. They drafted Luke Mitchell, Casboult, McCarthy (drafted as a defender, played a bit of forward but has been playing defense mainly in the VFL) and Sam Rowe for depth. They have also been trying to develop Hampson as that second forward/ruck. Hampson shows patches of form as a forward but has never been super consistent. He is a really good ruck (would probably be the number 1 on a few other teams) and is really important to the structure. Although I have seen the Carlton supporters give him a lot of crap for his marking which is hit or miss, he does bust open packs and more importantly, gets his hand to the ball to not only bring it to ground level, but direct it to the small forwards in Eddie and Jeff.

They also got Hendo as the eventual Fev replacement, he was servicable his first season as a forward, had an operation in the preseason and really struggled down forward his second season when he came into the side round 4 or 5 I think it was, so Ratts threw him back where he really came  along. Since Carlton's biggest weakness since the retirement of SOS has been key back, we left him down there and he has been fantastic.

If Waite is out against the Saints, I wouldn't mind seeing the forward line look like this

Garlett Casboult Armfield/resting mid (pending forward tag)
Betts Mitchell Hampson

It is a bit top heavy so if someone is to miss you would say it is Hampson. I would like to see how Mitchell goes at AFL level as he only really had 1 game and that was last year in the nothing game against the Saints.

its me lads

I rate Casboult, think He'll be alright, still needs a couple more years though. Don't really rate Hampson TBH.

What is Hendersons role down back? Is He meant to be a Key defender locking down a forward or is a sort of a loose man player? When i watch him he always seems to do well, really good intercept marker.

Vinny

Hampson got injured in the 2s I heard.

Mat0369

Quote from: its me lads on July 08, 2013, 12:19:56 AM
I rate Casboult, think He'll be alright, still needs a couple more years though. Don't really rate Hampson TBH.

What is Hendersons role down back? Is He meant to be a Key defender locking down a forward or is a sort of a loose man player? When i watch him he always seems to do well, really good intercept marker.

Cas will come good, just needs to get his kicking sorted. Hammer is a mediocre forward as a pure forward, but his ruck work around the ground is extremely good and he is very athletic. Carlton basically need him to provide 2 goals a game, bust open some packs and get the ball to the smalls when he does. The problem with Hampson is when he finally starts to get it to click he gets injured.

Jamison will take the deep forward and Henderson will take the oppositions next best and try and shut them out of the game.  They both have generally been really good this year, but Friday was a dirty night for the whole team. Henderson uses his body really well,, out positions his opponent and is then able to mark the ball. He didn't have a great night after the first quarter on Friday, but that had a lot to do with him not being able to settle in one position. He is also an excellent field kick which generally translates to his set shot work when he plays up forward.

Quote from: vinny on July 08, 2013, 12:22:08 AM
Hampson got injured in the 2s I heard.

I have not checked anything on the VFL results today, but I know he missed last weeks game. I wasn't entirely sure why but he was not on the injury report for last week.

And I just had a look on the AFL site, possible knee injury. F'ing hell.

fidou

How did everyone rate Hendersons game against St Kilda? He's been running around following oppositions best forward for a while now and he finally played a full game up forward and took some telling marks with support from Rowe. He is looking as our most important player down back and now switching up forward is looking good. When Waite is fit could they play together as twin forwards as long as we get it all together down back. McInnes is back to partner Jamison and if Watson comes on we may have the book ends down pat.

quinny88

Quote from: fidou on July 16, 2013, 10:02:21 PM
How did everyone rate Hendersons game against St Kilda? He's been running around following oppositions best forward for a while now and he finally played a full game up forward and took some telling marks with support from Rowe. He is looking as our most important player down back and now switching up forward is looking good. When Waite is fit could they play together as twin forwards as long as we get it all together down back. McInnes is back to partner Jamison and if Watson comes on we may have the book ends down pat.

So many backmen are doing this lately.

Ben Reid, Harry T, Jake Carlisle.

With Henderson I think you need to play him where it suits week to week. If a team as 2 big forwards you really need him down there as he is so important and it would be a big ask for McInnes or Watson but against the lesser teams liek the saints you can afford to swing him forward. Need 2 of him really

fidou

Whenever I see Henderson running around for Carlton I think of Vossy and the Fevolva trade and how well we have done. On the down side it may end up the same with the ending of Judd's career and Kennedy out west.