WXV 2023 Award Nominations

Started by Purple 77, August 01, 2023, 08:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Hey everyone!

This is the thread where we announce our Best & Fairests, Coaches Awards and discuss matters such as the Rising Star winner and Coach of the Year in preparation for the Awards Week! (which will be sometime before the Grand Final... I hope.. via any spare moment I find where I have the mental energy to give it the reception it deserves).

I'd really like your Coaches Award nominee (so a player) by say Monday 11:59.59 PM AEST, so I can send the votes out during that week and derive a winner over the weekend.

Award Nominations

1. Coach of the Year

I'll nominate this years candidates, using last years criteria to help me out:
- If you've won more games during the regular season in 2023 than 2022, you get a nomination for coach of the year. If you had the same amount of wins, but scored more overall points you get a nomination.
- A wild card nomination if I feel that a coach has had to overcome particular adversity or done something special to deserve it.

The nominations will be announced... during this week, in preparation for the vote I'll send out probably next Tuesday night.

2. Coaches award

Each team can nominate a player on their team they think deserves special mention. You can use any criteria you like, it doesn't have to be the best player. It was New Delhi's Jack Sinclair edging out Cobra Chad Warner last year, with other previous winners including Daniel Talia, Mark Blicavs, Matt Jaensch, Clayton Oliver, Jordan Ridley, Brodie Grundy and Sean Darcy.

Tell us why they are the recipient of your Coaches Award! The more reasons you provide, the higher the chance the comp will vote your player as the WXV 2023 Coaches Award recipient.

3. Rising Star Winner

Here are your nominations! Talk your player up over the next couple of days, and decide who you'll vote for when I send out the PM!

The follow stats have been recorded over the WXV H&A season only.

NominationFull NameWXV ClubAFL TeamPOS1POS2SENIOR GAMESRESERVES GAMESAVERAGEMAX SENIOR SCORE
R1Finn CallaghanDublin DestroyersGreater Western SydneyMID151 73.50 101
R2Harry SheezelCape Town CobrasNorth MelbourneFWD161 96.88 126
R3Reuben GinbeyNew Delhi TigersWest CoastDEFMID87 62.47 104
R4Mitchito OwensBuenos Aires ArmadillosSt KildaFWD142 84.06 143
R5Will AshcroftTokyo SamuraiBrisbaneMID160 85.75 148
R6Seamus MitchellDublin DestroyersHawthornDEFFWD101 60.82 87
R7Luke PedlarLondon RoyalsAdelaideFWD115 55.69 75
R8Jye AmissCairo SandsFremantleFWD133 53.63 95
R9Bailey HumphreySeoul MagpiesGold CoastMIDFWD86 65.38 117
R10Cameron MackenzieSeoul MagpiesHawthornMID56 53.73 93
R11Ollie LordRio de Janeiro JaguarsPort AdelaideDEFFWD43 53.00 75
R12Jacob Van RooyenBerlin BrewersMelbourneFWD94 64.23 106
R13Darcy WilmotLondon RoyalsBrisbaneDEF161 71.12 120
R14Elijah HewettDublin DestroyersWest CoastMID45 43.22 83
R15Jaspa FletcherCairo SandsBrisbaneMID50 63.20 80
R16Elijah HollandsSeoul MagpiesGold CoastMID25 53.86 90
R17Max MichalanneyMexico City SunsAdelaideDEF610 56.31 103

4. Best & Fairest

Who polled the most votes in your best & fairest? It can be any system you choose, but be sure to announce your  winner here so we can record their achievement for the ages :) (I will catch-up on previous years, promise)

Jukes

Rome Best and Fairest - Nick Daicos
Finals are still to be counted, but with 47 votes, ahead of Houston (30) and Gulden (28), hard to see anybody coming close to catching up in the 5-4-3-2-1 system. Probably the first of many, many B&Fs at Rome for ND (because I wouldn't even trade him for Bont + Laird + real life remuneration).

Rome Coaches Award - Errol Gulden
Added 25 points onto his average to go from 85.7 to 110.7, with four 150+ scores up forward (yes I know I rested one of them, but he's averaged 120 since I rested him the first time so that may have sparked him into action). It was partially expected because he's a gun (knew it when I drafted him), but a third year breakout increasing his average by 29%, from an already-healthy mid-80s average as a forward, was huge. Also carried with the C in the QF! Definitely would be a deserving name in the CA winners alongside champs such as Clarry, Ridley, and Matty Jaensch.

Holz

Dublin Best and Fairest - Andre Brayshaw: He had a slow start to the season potentially carrying a injury but then he was a Auto captain again putting up 113 from round 8 onwards.

Dublin Coaches Award - Seamus Mitchell: After another WXV coach made the call "someone like Seamus Mitchell is never playing an afl game" in the preseason he turned up to play 13 games and be a vital player switching between the forward line and defence to fill holes where required.

Ringo

London Best and Fairest - Timothy English
No surprises here as Timothy polled maximum votes under our 5,4,2,3,1 system in 15 rounds and only missing votes in one round -
Voting
English 76
Saad 29
John Noble 24
Miller 22 (may have got a lot more votes if not injured)
Drew 21
Rounding out the top 5.

London Coaches Award - Darcy Wilmot
Outstanding effort from this second year player who is still eligible for rising star but some stiff competition there, Played every game this season with an average of 71 but was really strong in the last 6 rounds with an average of 94.  Provided stability and run from our defence once settling into the role.

upthemaidens

Pacific Best and Fairest - Marcus Bontempelli
  Averaged 126 and carried the Islanders on his shoulders.

Coaches Award - Connor Idun
  Increased his average from 58 to 82.  Going from depth to a consistent starter.

RaisyDaisy

With such an injury ravaged season, availability carried a lot of weight with this years award winners at NY

Best & Fairest

The ever reliable Mark Blicavs stood up in a tough year for NY. The former steeplechaser showcased a solid high floor and often delivered as captain

Coaches Award

Zac Guthrie continued his improvement and increased his season avg to a career high 75SC, making him a solid and reliable D4/U1/U2 while most importantly for NY fronting up every week and not missing a game

Honorable mention to last years WXV Pick 5 Nic Martin on an outstanding debut season too

GoLions

Coaches Award for Kate has to go to none other than Harry Sheezel, first year player averaging almost 100, with 12 scores of 100+ (including Rd1 where I didn't name him whoops), phenomenal effort! He also delivered where it mattered in the last 3 rounds with scores of 103, 126, and 114 to secure Kate a spot in finals.

We love Hairy Cheezels.

Pkbaldy

Mexico Suns BnF

Captain reliable Christian Petracca polled in EVERY single game (5-1 voting). with 5 BoG performances.

Coaches Award

Smokey Nic Newman pulled plenty of big numbers this year despite being on the chopping block. Got shopped around by the coach but ultimately stayed and helped Mexico reach finals.

Koop

B&F: Sean Darcy, holding off a fast finishing Callum Wilkie by 3 votes (5-1)

Coaches: Doker double with Brennan Cox, who enjoyed a breakout year to finish with a 94.3 WXV average in the heart of defence.

DazBurg

B&F & coaches is both zach merrett
the amount og game she pulled us through deserves both titles this year

Nige

Karen BnF: Unsurprisingly, Tom Stewart took the choccies in this one despite being subbed off Round 1 and missing the next. Dominated from there on out to win comfortably.

Coaches Award: You already know, it's my boi Josh Daicos. Always held the faith from before I even acquired him from my dear comrades Church that he would become elite. It's all in the name. Genetically destined. Anyway, a fairly consistent contributor to a fairly scuffed outfit this year. Averaged career best numbers and played every game where I pretty much couldn't get any other mid on the park every week. Truly deserving.

Urbaninfinnity

Beijing

Coaches Award: Conor Nash

A bit of Irish bash crash and Nash was immense in trying to keep Beijing in the 8 this season - repaying what we saw at the end of 2021 as a trade inclusion. A big rock in the midfield that was missing Dylan Shiel to injury for most of the season, his importance cannot be understated.

Best and Fairest: TBC (It's probably Neale)

Purple 77

Coaches Award... big fan of Jayden Hunt's year for me, considering the negative blowback I got when I traded Brodie Smith for him + what turned out to be Pick 21.

Hunt played all 17 games for me at a handy average of 77 (which is fitting - and MUCH higher than his 50s last year), and I always could count on him.

fanTCfool

Toronto Wolves

Coaches' Award
You already know. I ramble about it all the time. Coming off an ACL injury, Jack Buckley was a late inclusion for the Giants in Round 1 and hasn't looked back. A player who was not on any radars at the start of the season, Buckley has managed a productive 80SC average at time of writing, including his first ever ton in a do-or-die contest with New Delhi this weekend. Not bad for Pick 30 in the 2017 WXV Rookie Draft.

iZander

Coaches award:
Mitchito Owens - has become a premo fwd this year which will greatly help a premiership push

Best and fairest:
First year ive actually felt a count is required to name this one, 3,2,1 voting for each match

SERONG - 18
Despite losing 2/2 coin tosses costing some extra points

JDG - 15
Cerra - 11
Green - 10
Parish - 9
Hurn - 7
Dusty - 7
ROB - 5
Ziebell - 5
Owens - 5
Greene - 4