Main Menu

Carlton Rookies

Started by Ricochet, November 27, 2013, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

They say, we say: Club-by-club verdicts on the 2013-14 Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-27/they-say-we-say-rookie-draft-verdicts

They say
'Luke Reynolds has a really wide arc, takes a really good mark and kicks goals. Blaine Johnson is a jumping player who takes a good mark. He jumps up over the top of packs, but is also good at ground level and can go through the midfield - we assume he will probably play as a forward for us. Most people will know Cameron Wood, he has had a go before. With the dearth of ruckman we have at the footy club, we needed to get a ruckman in.' - recruiting manager Shane Rogers

We say
The Blues decided against selecting key forward Cameron McCarthy in the NAB AFL Draft, instead choosing to boost their inside midfield stocks by taking clearance king Patrick Cripps and Nick Holman. However, the Blues picked up athletic forwards Luke Reynolds and Blaine Johnson in the Rookie Draft - both having shown an ability to clunk marks and kick truly at goal. The Blues surprised a few by giving Cameron Wood another chance, although he is seemingly cover for the loss of Shaun Hampson to Richmond. Heath Scotland was retained as a rookie and will be part of Mick Malthouse's plans heading into the 2014 season. - Ben Guthrie

kilbluff1985

Carlton has finalised their playing numbers for 2014.

Luke Reynolds #31
Cameron Wood #36
Blaine Johnson #45
Ciaran Sheehan #47
Ciaran Byrne #48

truBLUE

wow I do admit was a little shocked with blues taking wood ,unless kruse spending more time at full fwd ?

Ricochet

I think it's the other way round. Wood has spent the last year working as a fwd

truBLUE

Quote from: Ricochet on November 30, 2013, 03:32:33 PM
thanks mate wasn't aware of wood at fwd last year, might pay off well better than hampson was :)

CrowsFan

Has he? Averaged 29 hitouts and only kicked 11 goals in 20 VFL matches, doesn't look like he has been playing forward.

Ricochet

Quote from: CrowsFan on December 01, 2013, 01:27:56 AM
Has he? Averaged 29 hitouts and only kicked 11 goals in 20 VFL matches, doesn't look like he has been playing forward.
Yeh in his press conference when he got picked up he said so, and gave the indication thats why Carlton picked him up. Obviously still played a ruck/fwd role by the looks of it though

CrowsFan

kilbluff1985

so probably F/R next year? i could not find him in the fanplanner