Main Menu

A Best 22 for 2016

Started by H1bb3i2d, July 07, 2015, 06:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silloc

Quote from: Southstorm on August 17, 2015, 03:52:36 PM
The only good draft picks we've had in the last few years since Heppell have been Daniher and Zach Merrett.

Prior to that, the only great draft picks we've had since 2003 have been Hurley and Ryder. There's been a few good ones like Myers and Zaharakis and a few serviceable ones but none have ever lived up to their promised potential. Some have been complete write offs.

Probably too early to say whether Laverde and Langford are going to prove to be stars for us, but they're definitely showing more than most others in their opening years

It's time we figured out what we're doing wrong. Are we terrible at drafting or are we terrible at developing players?

Note: I'm only talking about early draft picks. If anything, we've proven we're quite good at getting value from rookie listed players and late draft picks.

you're being a bit harsh, I think our list management has been pretty good post-sheedy. You're forgetting the rookie talent we've scouted too; bags, hibo, bell-end, hocking, crameri.

Don't forget that 2010-2013 was picked apart by GWS & GCS, and -3 top end draft picks from last 2 drafts.

We're not going to get a superstar every year, but we're coming pretty close.

silloc

Look at our last clean-out year where we got heaps of kids in; Daniher (10), Gleeson (53), Ashby (34), Kommer (73). missed with Van Unen (51), Gregory (88), hardly top tier selections.

what we might need to look at doing is trying to secure a volume of earlier selections. try to get 5 picks in the top 40 or something. 

silloc

BJ God not playing tomorrow.... flower the supercoach gods

Samsturmfels

Quote from: silloc on August 21, 2015, 04:21:24 PM
He is playing....

Also Heppell captain next year for the dons?

iZander

howlett stiff not to get a gig on that field, 26 yrs, been alright, leading our goal assists this year :P (not that, that they kicked that many goals)

silloc

Quote from: Samsturmfels on August 22, 2015, 06:59:46 PM
Quote from: silloc on August 21, 2015, 04:21:24 PM
He is playing....

Also Heppell captain next year for the dons?

no, jobe one more year I think. Then he can hand it over

kilbluff1985

just a thought

wonder if Paul Roos would be interested in doing what he has done at Melbourne for us make him head coach for a couple years with an apprentice to take over

Holz

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 25, 2015, 03:28:29 AM
just a thought

wonder if Paul Roos would be interested in doing what he has done at Melbourne for us make him head coach for a couple years with an apprentice to take over

If he wanted to keep coaching he would do it at the dees. He wouldnt want the stress of fixing this mess.

Southstorm

Quote from: silloc on August 20, 2015, 10:40:31 AM
The only good draft picks we've had in the last few years since Heppell have been Daniher and Zach Merrett.

Prior to that, the only great draft picks we've had since 2003 have been Hurley and Ryder. There's been a few good ones like Myers and Zaharakis and a few serviceable ones but none have ever lived up to their promised potential. Some have been complete write offs.

Probably too early to say whether Laverde and Langford are going to prove to be stars for us, but they're definitely showing more than most others in their opening years

It's time we figured out what we're doing wrong. Are we terrible at drafting or are we terrible at developing players?

Note: I'm only talking about early draft picks. If anything, we've proven we're quite good at getting value from rookie listed players and late draft picks.

you're being a bit harsh, I think our list management has been pretty good post-sheedy. You're forgetting the rookie talent we've scouted too; bags, hibo, bell-end, hocking, crameri.

Don't forget that 2010-2013 was picked apart by GWS & GCS, and -3 top end draft picks from last 2 drafts.

Like I said, I'm only talking about early draft picks.

We might have been able to make the best of a bad situation and come away with some steals from the rookie draft and late in the main draft, but at the end of the day, you can't just piss away half of your most recent top draft picks and question what you're doing wrong. Do we scout wrong? Do we develop wrong? Should we listen to the Herald Sun more or not at all? We need to answer these questions.

Southstorm

Quote from: silloc on August 20, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
Look at our last clean-out year where we got heaps of kids in; Daniher (10), Gleeson (53), Ashby (34), Kommer (73). missed with Van Unen (51), Gregory (88), hardly top tier selections.

what we might need to look at doing is trying to secure a volume of earlier selections. try to get 5 picks in the top 40 or something.
I''d say we also missed with Ashby as well, but then again, 2012 was a pretty top-heavy year with not a whole lot afterwards.

silloc

Quote from: Southstorm on September 02, 2015, 01:45:59 AM

We might have been able to make the best of a bad situation and come away with some steals from the rookie draft and late in the main draft, but at the end of the day, you can't just piss away half of your most recent top draft picks and question what you're doing wrong. Do we scout wrong? Do we develop wrong? Should we listen to the Herald Sun more or not at all? We need to answer these questions.

... what are you talking about, who are you referring to specifically, we've had more hits in the top 30 than misses. What do you want? and if you're talking about pre-2006, your argument is irrelevant. That's like saying we lacked midfield depth in the 90's. We've got the last 7 drafts right IMO, so the fact you're bringing it up as an issue NOW is stupid.

Southstorm

Quote from: silloc on September 02, 2015, 02:59:43 PM

... what are you talking about, who are you referring to specifically, we've had more hits in the top 30 than misses. What do you want? and if you're talking about pre-2006, your argument is irrelevant. That's like saying we lacked midfield depth in the 90's. We've got the last 7 drafts right IMO, so the fact you're bringing it up as an issue NOW is stupid.
Take out Daniher who was father son and take out Heppell and Z. Merrett who we drafted with a little insider information and who has been a hit for us?

In the last seven drafts, we've had the abysmal 2011 year and we've had 2009 where Melksham was taken in the top 10. Ashby nor Kavanagh are not looking likely to be in the best 22 for next season and Melksham is not the quality expected of a top 10 pick. Although before 2009 we were better. Not competition-leading, but better.

silloc

Quote from: Southstorm on September 06, 2015, 08:59:16 PM
Quote from: silloc on September 02, 2015, 02:59:43 PM

Take out Daniher who was father son and take out Heppell and Z. Merrett who we drafted with a little insider information and who has been a hit for us?

In the last seven drafts, we've had the abysmal 2011 year and we've had 2009 where Melksham was taken in the top 10. Ashby nor Kavanagh are not looking likely to be in the best 22 for next season and Melksham is not the quality expected of a top 10 pick. Although before 2009 we were better. Not competition-leading, but better.

Ashby was pick 34, that's not a top end draft pick.

Kav, if you take into account the mini-draft and GCS/GWS pre-selections over those years, you're looking more like a no.30 pick. And it's not like we're the exception to the rule that year. You go and look at the next 10 picks after kav, not really filled with gold.

1 19   Essendon  Elliott Kavanagh Essendon 12
1 20   Fremantle  Hayden Crozier Fremantle 34
1 21  Father/Son Sydney  Tom Mitchell Sydney 37
1 22   Carlton  Joshua Bootsma   14
1 23   West Coast  Murray Newman West Coast 6
1 24   Gold Coast  Henry Schade Gold Coast 15
1 25   St Kilda  Sebastian Ross St Kilda 37
1 26   Richmond  Todd Elton Richmond 2
  27  Priority Adelaide  Sam Kerridge Adelaide 27
  28  Priority West Coast  Fraser McInnes West Coast 7
  29  Priority Fremantle  Alex Forster   1

Melksham has been disappointing, but the only genuine miss that I consider in the past 10 years. Still shows glimpses, maybe would do better in another team. But again, we weren't the only ones to miss around that area.

1 8   Port Adelaide  John Butcher Port Adelaide 28
1 9   Port Adelaide  Andrew Moore Port Adelaide 55
1 10   Essendon  Jake Melksham Essendon 114
1 11   Melbourne  Jordan Gysberts   19
1 12   Carlton  Kane Lucas West Coast 42

kilbluff1985

why would you take out Heppell and Zerrett? half the challenge of drafting is getting inside info

elephants

What was the inside info and where did it come from? Fill me in!