Main Menu

A Best 22 for 2016

Started by H1bb3i2d, July 07, 2015, 06:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southstorm

What are the chances of snaring Darcy Parish? If we suck hard enough, do you think we can slip down to 16th which should be enough to take him?

silloc

Quote from: Southstorm on August 05, 2015, 05:43:23 PM
What are the chances of snaring Darcy Parish? If we suck hard enough, do you think we can slip down to 16th which should be enough to take him?

It depends who the suns want, but you'd imagine Carlton and Lions will be after key position. I think we're destined to finish 15th-13th. I'd like an in and under tough nut to go hand in hand with merret, so parish might not be the go anyway. tbh I'm happy with a top five pick

Holz

Quote from: silloc on August 03, 2015, 05:12:16 PM
Quote from: Southstorm on August 03, 2015, 04:51:56 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 31, 2015, 09:47:28 PM
trade our first pick for Dixon and Z Smith then we can keep them all in defense

might have to add a 2nd or 3rd rounder but you get the idea
If we added Dixon then we could trade Carlisle for a first rounder and get a mid out of the draft. No point keeping all of Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle, Steinberg and Pears if we can get good currency for one of them in a trade.

I do agree with that logic, but I don't think the personnel is the issue here. We could bring the same list in next year with a fresh preseason and mindset. I believe that all we really need is children

A competent coach would be a real bonus too. No clue how he stilll has his job. the off field issues are bad enough, but he cant coach on field.

silloc

Quote from: Holz on August 06, 2015, 11:07:15 AM

If we added Dixon then we could trade Carlisle for a first rounder and get a mid out of the draft. No point keeping all of Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle, Steinberg and Pears if we can get good currency for one of them in a trade.

I do agree with that logic, but I don't think the personnel is the issue here. We could bring the same list in next year with a fresh preseason and mindset. I believe that all we really need is children

A competent coach would be a real bonus too. No clue how he stilll has his job. the off field issues are bad enough, but he cant coach on field.

He has proven he can coach in previous seasons, I doubt he knows how to inspire his players though.

Holz

Quote from: silloc on August 06, 2015, 11:12:18 AM

He has proven he can coach in previous seasons, I doubt he knows how to inspire his players though.

not really he took over a 7 win team and granted snuck into the 8 with a 11 win season the year after.  Than missed the 8 with an 11 win season.  Than they had that 14 win season which was there best under Hird.

Under bomber thompson they finished 7th with a 12.5 win season.

now they are shocking this year. unless you want to say you have had a terrible list, he has done nothing. A 8th place finish is his best achievement in 4 years as a coach.

silloc

Quote from: Holz on August 06, 2015, 11:32:42 AM

not really he took over a 7 win team and granted snuck into the 8 with a 11 win season the year after.  Than missed the 8 with an 11 win season.  Than they had that 14 win season which was there best under Hird.

now they are shocking this year. unless you want to say you have had a terrible list, he has done nothing. A 8th place finish is his best achievement in 4 years as a coach.

I doubt you can call it 4 years worth of coaching, it's really hard to judge somebodies coaching abilities after the current set of circumstances. I've always been a strong believer in the fact that the club know 500 times more than the outsiders, so I'm happy what ever they decide.

Holz

Quote from: silloc on August 06, 2015, 11:57:08 AM
Quote from: Holz on August 06, 2015, 11:32:42 AM

I doubt you can call it 4 years worth of coaching, it's really hard to judge somebodies coaching abilities after the current set of circumstances. I've always been a strong believer in the fact that the club know 500 times more than the outsiders, so I'm happy what ever they decide.

you dont think if his name wasnt james hird he would be long gone?

kilbluff1985

my ideal situation

trade pick 4 for Z Smith and Dixon

the Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle can all stay in defense

Holz

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 06, 2015, 12:11:43 PM
my ideal situation

trade pick 4 for Z Smith and Dixon

the Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle can all stay in defense

great trade.

wont happen though, pick 4 isnt that good.

silloc

Wouldn't give up pick 4, especially with our lack of draft picks over the past 2 years. I don't want Dixon, we can develop our own. We'll get zsmith with a second round draft pick knowing our history.

PowerBug

Chapman, Goddard, Cooney, Gwilt, Fletcher, Dempsey. Tear up whatever contracts they have and tell them they are not playing in 2016 for Essendon. It's unfortunate for a bloke like Fletcher who has given his heart and soul to the club, but he's not going to be there for their next run up the ladder, and he's not playing a role that a younger player can't try to do. The others are just old and need to go.

Trade for a Ruckman (obviously). A proper ruckman, not Shaun McKernan ruckman. Matthew Leuenberger, Zac Smith type, an actual ruckman.

There are good kids there. Edwards, Laverde, Langford, NOB, Zach Merrett. These are the players that try their hearts out every single week just to make sure they get another shot the next week, meanwhile those players in the top line just need to be fit, regardless of their form, to get a game.

In the middle ages there's a good core group of players too: Heppell, Hibberd, Hooker, Carlisle, Zaharakis and Hurley. Hopefully they all stay but one might need to be trade bait for a good ruckman.

And finally you can't cull all the experience, so keep hold of Stanton and Watson.

Oh, and James Hird needs to go...

Gigantor

Quote from: PowerBug on August 15, 2015, 10:55:52 PM
Chapman, Goddard, Cooney, Gwilt, Fletcher, Dempsey. Tear up whatever contracts they have and tell them they are not playing in 2016 for Essendon. It's unfortunate for a bloke like Fletcher who has given his heart and soul to the club, but he's not going to be there for their next run up the ladder, and he's not playing a role that a younger player can't try to do. The others are just old and need to go.

Trade for a Ruckman (obviously). A proper ruckman, not Shaun McKernan ruckman. Matthew Leuenberger, Zac Smith type, an actual ruckman.

There are good kids there. Edwards, Laverde, Langford, NOB, Zach Merrett. These are the players that try their hearts out every single week just to make sure they get another shot the next week, meanwhile those players in the top line just need to be fit, regardless of their form, to get a game.

In the middle ages there's a good core group of players too: Heppell, Hibberd, Hooker, Carlisle, Zaharakis and Hurley. Hopefully they all stay but one might need to be trade bait for a good ruckman.

And finally you can't cull all the experience, so keep hold of Stanton and Watson.

Oh, and James Hird needs to go...
I agree on everything you said except Goddard, I think he has done enough to be there next year.

kilbluff1985

i kinda want Melksham and Dempsey gone also but could be ok depth

PowerBug

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 15, 2015, 11:52:35 PM
i kinda want Melksham and Dempsey gone also but could be ok depth
Did I miss Melksham? He's gotta go too.

Yeah maybe I was a bit harsh on Goddard. I don't really like him but I guess he hasn't been awful.

Southstorm

The only good draft picks we've had in the last few years since Heppell have been Daniher and Zach Merrett.

Prior to that, the only great draft picks we've had since 2003 have been Hurley and Ryder. There's been a few good ones like Myers and Zaharakis and a few serviceable ones but none have ever lived up to their promised potential. Some have been complete write offs.

Probably too early to say whether Laverde and Langford are going to prove to be stars for us, but they're definitely showing more than most others in their opening years

It's time we figured out what we're doing wrong. Are we terrible at drafting or are we terrible at developing players?

Note: I'm only talking about early draft picks. If anything, we've proven we're quite good at getting value from rookie listed players and late draft picks.