How will it work next year.

Started by Grazz, August 18, 2011, 01:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazz

Gotta throw my support behind Ziplock here. We are speaking purely from a Fan Footy perspective. I have to agree that % in FF doesn't have the same relevance as it does in the AFL. i'll give you a couple of examples:

1) We had a guy in one of our leagues this year who finished 9th in the league but was ranked 1st in total points, it seemed that each time he played someone they would have the game of their season and loose to him buy a handful of points and yes in some cases beat him, then the following week drop back to their usual score. He finished on the same amount of wins as 3 teams above him and missed the A Finals by % which he would of won let me add as he outscored everyone each week he played finals and won the Plastic Cup in a cake walk. I don't see how this is fair or good thing.

2) At the beginning of each season there's always a couple of teams in each league that seem to start well behind the others in scoring potential i.e scoring 100 or so points less than the rest on avg, the sides that play these teams in the early rounds have a huge advantage % wise compared to those sides that face them after say the halfway mark of the season and they've had enough rounds to get their team up and running and be as competitive as the rest of the league, all be it a few trades less than the others but pumping out equal on Avg scores. How is that fair or a good thing.

Now i know people will say well that's the luck of the draw Grazz but in all seriousness that's rubbish really, just a cop out.
I think its a horses for courses kind of deal with %, it works perfectly in the AFL and is fair for all but can have a negative affect in FF and not necessarily be fair to all.  I'm also aware that a lot of people want FF to mirror the AFL as much as possible and i agree we should up to the point were it just becomes silly and it's my opinion that this is one of those examples. You may disagree with me and that's your prerogative but when example Number 1 happens to you, id like to know whether you'd still feel the same about the percentage system versus rank in total points. I may get crucified for this but what can you do it comes with the territory.
Im in no way knocking what Ossie said (wouldn't dare, have the utmost respect for our man Ossie) but the relevance of the % system in FF is what im having a go at. Be kind people.

ossie85

They are good points Grazz, but though first two points are relevant to percentage in the AFL.

For point 1), you often have teams with high scores miss the final. Yes, defence is an issue in the real game, while it is basically luck in fantasy, but still.

And point 2.... Teams have better first halfs and second halfs in the AFL also. And then comes tanking, and resting players....

Ziplock

Defence is the real clincher for me. I think that adding yet another element of luck in the game is unnecessary.

What could be (imo) a viable qlternative, is that the percentage could derive from your score compared to the qverqge score of the round, for eqch round; then averaged out as the season progresses. This way, you still have your lame percentage :P That imo, closer reflects how well you did compared to the rest of the competition in each round gone by, and is a fairer way of measurement.

Sorry if I rambled, does that make sense? what do you think?

Ringo

Like your thinking Ziplock.  Correct me if my intepration is wrong but an example of what you are proposing is each week compare the average round score with your score eg Average Round Score 2100 Your Score 2300 %109.5 and do each week with rolling averages.  More realistic measurement imo as well to cope with weaker teams early.  For example a guy in our league constructed his team of 6 prems plus rookies at a cost of $7m only and just upgraded to prems as they increased in value with his 24 trades and ended up with a strong team of prems and made prelim finals.  In iinitial rounds was only scoring an average of 1500 points so his early opoonents were at an advantage compared to later.

upthemaidens

earlier thread said 2 teams in the same league is cheating....ummm forgive me for being stupid, but isnt having 2 teams full stop cheating?
unless u r in a cash league(and if u r u would want to know everyone in that league)  who really cares about league.
  i also agree percentage is totally pointless in fantasy footy, but because they want it to mirror real life thats why its used.

if i was ever to do a cash league thing again it would be on total points and thats it, its the only way to stop cheating or pure luck of the draw

Ziplock

Quote from: Ringo on September 27, 2011, 12:12:36 PM
Like your thinking Ziplock.  Correct me if my intepration is wrong but an example of what you are proposing is each week compare the average round score with your score eg Average Round Score 2100 Your Score 2300 %109.5 and do each week with rolling averages.  More realistic measurement imo as well to cope with weaker teams early.  For example a guy in our league constructed his team of 6 prems plus rookies at a cost of $7m only and just upgraded to prems as they increased in value with his 24 trades and ended up with a strong team of prems and made prelim finals.  In iinitial rounds was only scoring an average of 1500 points so his early opoonents were at an advantage compared to later.

yep exactly :) I dont even think it would matter if the whole competitions average was used, or even just your own league.

Quote from: upthemaidens on September 27, 2011, 05:23:07 PM
earlier thread said 2 teams in the same league is cheating....ummm forgive me for being stupid, but isnt having 2 teams full stop cheating?
unless u r in a cash league(and if u r u would want to know everyone in that league)  who really cares about league.
  i also agree percentage is totally pointless in fantasy footy, but because they want it to mirror real life thats why its used.

if i was ever to do a cash league thing again it would be on total points and thats it, its the only way to stop cheating or pure luck of the draw

yeah multiple teams is cheating. Some people, oddly enough, play SC or DT for the fun of it, not necessarily for the prizes. Same reason why some people play chess, or soccer even though they'll never be pros. For instance, my main focus is normally the league I'm in my friends with, yeah I'd love to win the comp, and if I was in a position to shoot for first, I would do that, but except for that, I'm going to be league oriented.

Grazz

Yeh i must admit i usually have 2 Teams, but one is my Moneyleague team which is totally orientated around winning the Moneyleague and will never be a side that could win the whole thing, not that my Overall Team will ever win it either lol, but thats the one that if im ever close i'll have a crack with, made it to Number 1 in the 2009 SC season early in the year but fell out of contention pretty quickly. Alot of talented Coaches out there.

jimmytigs

i had 9 teams in 1 sc/dt & sportal league,i finished top 9 in dt but didnt even win the granny at sc,my 9 teams included 1 restricted to 4 letter surnames or less(good midfield & cox),a team where every player was priced under the average($333,000 for sc),a team of all mpp,s,a team with 9 rookie mids & 4 teams 1 of each being stacked with 7 premium backs/6 prem mids/4 prem rucks inc 4 mpp 1 each in def/forw/7 prem forwards & 1 team with no restrictions,hey its all fun.

as for % in one of my dt leagues i was 1 of 2 coaches that got a team with 33 collingwood players when they had the bye,that was a lot of fun watching my % go through the roof

Ziplock