Main Menu

Round 4 Richmond vs Melbourne

Started by Barra13, April 23, 2015, 09:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

THE LIGHTING of a commemorative flame, in a darkened MCG, will be the centrepiece of the pre-match to the Anzac Day eve clash between Richmond and Melbourne.

The eternal flame at the Shrine of Remembrance will be used to light a torch, which will be carried to the MCG by the Creswick Light Horse Troop.

The torch will then be handed to VFL/AFL legend Ron Barassi, who will light the flame on the MCG stage, where it will burn for the duration of the match. Barassi’s father, Ron Snr, died in Tobruk in 1941, during World War II.

Supporters of both sides will also become part of the pre-match ceremony with 50,000 finger lights distributed and held aloft in silence, in memory of those that served Australia in armed conflict.

The pre-match will also include the Army Band, returned service men and women and those currently serving overseas. Both teams will also line up in front of the flame for the Last Post and the National Anthem before the start of the game.

“We wanted to develop an occasion that enabled the supporters of both clubs to recognise the enormous sacrifice so many men and women have made for this country,” Richmond Football Club CEO Brendon Gale said.

“The Anzac round has become a very significant part of the AFL calendar. All Clubs look for ways to appropriately recognise our military history and Anzac Day eve provides an opportunity for two clubs with significant links to our military history to do just that.

“We clearly want this to become an annual game played between Richmond and Melbourne and we believe supporters of both sides will embrace the occasion and get to the MCG for what shapes as a very significant night.

“Importantly, this game and the pre-match ceremony have the full support of the RSL, the Shrine of Remembrance and the Australian Defence Force. They have each helped develop and shape our pre-match and we thank them for that support.”

Melbourne chief executive Peter Jackson acknowledged the club’s strong links with armed conflict.

“Our club lost more than any other in the AFL, in battle, with 30 Melbourne players making the ultimate sacrifice for their country. It is fitting that we pay tribute to those we lost and all who served for their country on Anzac Day eve," Jackson said.

BACKGROUND
Melbourne and Richmond’s wartime heritage is significant.

And, it is for this reason, that the two clubs will pay tribute to their shared wartime history at the MCG on April 24 in their first Anzac Day eve night match.

It will be just the third time the two clubs have met on Anzac Day eve â€" although their previous two meetings occurred back in 1915 and 1937.

Tragically, 35 men who played for Melbourne or Richmond died from active service â€" either from World War I or World War II.

During the Second World War, the two clubs met in the 1940 Grand Final, which Melbourne won. It remains their only meeting in a Grand Final.

Melbourne shared Punt Road Oval as its home ground during WW2 â€" considered an act of generosity by Richmond â€" until late in the 1946 season, due to the MCG being occupied by the armed forces. In 1944, Melbourne contributed to Richmond’s prisoner of war fund.

All of Melbourne’s key best and fairest trophies are named after players lost due to war. The most famous is Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott, a dual Melbourne premiership player in 1939-40. He was also one of Australia’s best-known flying aces during World War II.

The VFL awarded premiership medals posthumously to Truscott, Ron Barassi Snr and Harold Ball, as it was considered that they would have certainly played in the 1941 Grand Final.

Melbourne lost players in many of the key Australian wartime battles, including Joe Pearce in Anzac Cove, Barassi Snr in Tobruk, Syd Anderson in the Pacific and Ball in the fall of Singapore.

Richmond’s Bill Cosgrove is the uncle of Sir Peter Cosgrove, AK MC (Retd) who served as Chief of the Australian Defence Force. Cosgrove’s 1940 season was cut short by war service. In fact, six of Richmond’s 1940 Grand Final side served Australia in the war. In 1943 â€" just six weeks before Richmond’s premiership â€" Cosgrove was shot down and killed in action over New Guinea.

Players from both clubs killed in action:

Melbourne (30)

World War I: Jim Bonelli, Cliff Burge, Jack Doubleday, Bill Fischer, Albert Gourlay, Mal Kennedy, Frank Lugton, Jim Mackie, Bill Maxwell, Fen McDonald, Alick Ogilvie, Joe Pearce, Leo Rankin, Harold Rippon, Percy Rodriguez, Bobby Royle, Alf Williamson

World War II: Syd L. Anderson, Jack Atkins, Harold Ball, Ron J.Barassi, Laurie Brady, Noel Ellis, Clyde Helmer, Derek Mollison, Ted Regan, Beres Reilly, Archie Roberts, Keith Truscott, Barney Wood

Richmond (5)

World War I: Artie Harrison, Les Lee, Bill Nolan

World War II: Bill Cosgrove, Bill Garvie.

Melbourne and Richmond are seeking to take ownership of the Anzac Day eve time slot but the clubs that had arguably the two longest football dynasties of the post war years each have a lot of work to do if they want their meetings to attain blockbuster status.

The Tigers at least have been visible on the Friday night stage from time to time but for the Demons, it's almost two years since they graced an AFL venue on a Friday night. The reason the AFL gives for this apparent aberration is Melbourne's poor form but that excuse doesn't really hold because Carlton is a regular feature on the Friday night scene despite recent inferior form to that of Richmond and barely superior to Melbourne.

Still, the fact remains that the Demons and the Tigers are burdened by their own ghosts of the past.

They meet at the MCG on Friday night with long histories of modest achievement over the past thirty years. It's a long time since either won a finals match and while the Tigers have made it to the top eight twice in a row, they have not been particularly impressive in reaching that status. So far this year, neither team has set the world on fire with all their victories recorded against others who are currently winless.

On paper, the Tigers look the winners. They demolished a rudderless Brisbane team that gave up without a yelp (and certainly not a roar) and they have the midfield weapons that could overpower the Demons in a similar fashion to how the Giants and the Crows have managed to fight back against them after poor starts in the past two games.

Melbourne simply cannot afford to lose this game and Friday night will therefore be a true test of this team.

THE GAME

Richmond v Melbourne on Friday 24 April 2015 at 7.50pm at the MCG

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Richmond 103 wins Melbourne 73 wins Drawn 2

At MCG Richmond 68 wins Melbourne 61 wins Drawn 1

Past five meetings Richmond 3 wins Melbourne 2 wins

The Coaches Hardwick 0 wins Roos 1 win

RADIO -

THE BETTING

Richmond to win - $1.30 Melbourne to win - $3.50

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 14.7.91 defeated Richmond 9.20.74 Round 9, 2014 at the MCG

Nathan Jones and Jack Watts were the heroes for Melbourne and while it was lucky to strike an inaccurate Richmond on this occasion, the team took advantage of its good fortune and powered home to a well fought win.

RICHMOND

B: David Astbury, Jake Batchelor, Alex Rance
HB: Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Nathan Drummond
C: Brandon Ellis, Trent Cotchin, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Steven Morris, Shane Edwards, Anthony Miles
F: Jack Riewoldt, Ben Griffiths, Sam Lloyd
FOLL: Ivan Maric, Dustin Martin, Taylor Hunt
I/C: Matt Arnot, Nathan Gordon, Shaun Grigg, Matt McDonough
EMG: Todd Elton, Ben Lennon, Ty Vickery

IN: Matt Arnot, Nathan Drummond, Matt McDonough

OUT: Chris Knights (hamstring), Troy Chaplin (calf), Chris Newman (back)

NEW: Nathan Drummond

MELBOURNE

B: Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn, Neville Jetta
HB: Jeremy Howe, Tom McDonald, Christian Salem
C: Daniel Cross, Nathan Jones, Heritier Lumumba
HF: Ben Newton, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett
F: Dean Kent, Chris Dawes, Jack Watts
FOLL: Mark Jamar, Dom Tyson, Bernie Vince
I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Viv Michie, Aaron vandenBerg
EMG: Jack Grimes, Cameron Pedersen, Jimmy Toumpas

IN: Viv Michie

OUT: Sam Frost (injured)

Purple 77

I'll be a happy man if we win this one, for it really would mean we're on track for a genuinely improved season.

Not saying that we won't be if we lose, it's just that magic 8 wins (my aim this year) becomes a lot easier to achieve with a win here.

Barra13

Teams added. Gawn, Spencer, Pedo and Fitzpatrick stiff to miss out said Roos as all are in good form.

Only the one change, Frost for Michie. Roos said he wanted to go in with the the 1 main ruck for this game.

Purple 77

I'm quite happy Michie is getting a shot  :D

JKH the sub yeah? I swear if its Brayshaw... easing in is easing in, don't get me wrong, but there is no point in holding him back when he is tearing it up, which I think he is.

If we win, I reckon Hogan or Brayshaw will get a rising star nomination... what is more impressive? 35+ possessions from Gus? Or 6 from Hogan?

Oh who am I kidding, GO HOGAN GO!

Purple 77

Lol, apparently Vince bombed a torpedo from 60m out in wednesday's training session, and the ball hit Nathan Jones square on the head

He couldn't train for the next hour  :-X had a concussion test and everything!

But, being invincible and all, Chunk is fine  :P

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 23, 2015, 06:39:42 PM
I'm quite happy Michie is getting a shot  :D

JKH the sub yeah? I swear if its Brayshaw... easing in is easing in, don't get me wrong, but there is no point in holding him back when he is tearing it up, which I think he is.

If we win, I reckon Hogan or Brayshaw will get a rising star nomination... what is more impressive? 35+ possessions from Gus? Or 6 from Hogan?

Oh who am I kidding, GO HOGAN GO!

Dawes is a spud so Hogan will probably get Rance...  :'(

I think I have a solution though

Dawes kicks 4 in the first, Tiges move Rance to him, then Hogan kicks 2 in each subsequent quarter. Alright problem solved  :)

Brayshaw to start on Dusty and show him how a real man wins a 1v1? Or maybe he will teach Cotchin how to dispose effectively

Barra13

Not sure if Brayshaw on Dusty would be a good option. He is strong and powerful for his size. Brayshaw on Cotchin is a better option for me.

Barra13

Honestly Big Mac I keep staring at your gif over and over.

elephants

Thoughts on who Vince will go to lads? Probably Cotchin right?

Purple 77

Quote from: Barra13 on April 24, 2015, 09:26:14 AM
Honestly Big Mac I keep staring at your gif over and over.

I know right! I watch it at least 3 times whenever I see Mac post lol

Purple 77

Quote from: elephants on April 24, 2015, 10:27:29 AM

It'd probably be Cotchin, given he went nuts last week

Although, he could go to dusty (I reckon he could get angrier than Cotchin), and Cross could go on Cotch.

Big Mac

Quote from: Barra13 on April 24, 2015, 09:25:05 AM
Not sure if Brayshaw on Dusty would be a good option. He is strong and powerful for his size. Brayshaw on Cotchin is a better option for me.

Was a bit tongue in cheek more than anything haha but good point

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 24, 2015, 01:03:19 PM
Quote from: elephants on April 24, 2015, 10:27:29 AM

It'd probably be Cotchin, given he went nuts last week

Although, he could go to dusty (I reckon he could get angrier than Cotchin), and Cross could go on Cotch.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vince just plays his normal game this week

Umps will have disected his game during the week and will be all over him if he so much as looks at his man the wrong way at a stoppage

Michie has been used in a more defensive capacity in the VFL - He might play a bit of a shut-down role? Maybe not on Cotch, but on someone like Ellis?

Nige

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 24, 2015, 01:03:19 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see this happen actually.

Cotch definitely won't get any freedom this week, that's for sure.

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 23, 2015, 08:56:02 PM
Dawes is a spud so Hogan will probably get Rance...  :'(
Thought he was gonna embarrass Tross?  :P

Nige

Congrats guys, well deserved win.

You guys we're with us the whole game and made the most of limited chances while being shafted by the umpires. We were terrible and did not deserve it at all.

Mat0369

Quote from: Nige on April 24, 2015, 03:28:42 PM
Thought he was gonna embarrass Tross?  :P

He did  :P

An excellent result for your boys. Well done Dees