Main Menu

NAB squad vs Bulldogs

Started by Barra13, March 12, 2015, 01:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Mckenzie and Jones weren't great - but they're not meant to be. They're list fillers sure, but they play their role and they do it well. Certainly not the reason for our last half today. Matt Jones especially did a pretty decent job of presenting on the wing and being that 2nd or 3rd link in the possession chain from the back half.

Grimes played alright today - had one amazing kick which set up a goal iirc. Needs to be doing more though - Can definitely see Howe coming in and taking his spot

Garland - Well, there's not much to say really. Underwhelming, and gave away an absolutely stupid 50m penalty in the last qtr

What we did really well in the first half was how we actually began our surges forward - Pretty much how you said, they slowed it down in the defensive 50, spotted up an option, directed the play and made a run to be part of the next contest. Kicking it to players already on the run helped a lot

Not sure I buy the "we weren't interested isn't the scoreline" bit - There's no way Roos told them at half time to slow it down and that they'd done enough. Let alone tell them to switch up the game plan to the classic 'fumble and bomb it long and hope it gets somewhere'. Surely he'd be drilling it into them to compete for the whole game? Especially for a team that struggled to run out quarters last year, you'd think we would have wanted to make a change

Purple 77

Yeah valid point. It's not a good look even if we did slow it down... is an issue.

If this happened in the real season against the real dogs, I'd be happy with the win. But it was neither of those things and tbh it was  a more negative performance than the one against freo IMO

Big Mac

Definitely watch the first half if you can though

Just don't watch anymore than that  :P

Money Shot

What was Lumumba's role and also how serious was VandenBerg's injury?

Barra13

Lumumba was starting at the boucedown at times and playing wing and half back. Got a bunch of possies for not much result DT wise. VandenBerg will be right for next week I believe, just a cut to the head in a sandwich.

Personally I thought Grimes played well, decision making was good and disposal efficency was good.

Salem had 10 possessions in the first quarter. Was getting lots of cheap marks as they switched the play.

From what I can tell gameplay wise, they are looking up the field, if there is nothing on offer get the switch going. As they switch it creates run and they rebound hard and fast off of half back. I like that and it was good to watch. Probably the last 10 mins of the 3rd and 4th quarter wasn't the best as they fell away a little. The 1st and 3rd quarter they were into a howling breeze. Hogan had a kick from 50 and only went 40-45m. But overall I see alot of improvement.

Players I thought stood out were:
Dawes
Jones
Tyson
Lumumba
Salem
Garlett
JKH
McDonald
Frost - Can't remember who he chased down but it was all the way from full forward to half back and was rewarded. Was coming home like a train. This guy has really surprised me.

Purple 77

Quote from: Barra13 on March 16, 2015, 12:10:48 PM
Lumumba was starting at the boucedown at times and playing wing and half back. Got a bunch of possies for not much result DT wise. VandenBerg will be right for next week I believe, just a cut to the head in a sandwich.

Personally I thought Grimes played well, decision making was good and disposal efficency was good.

Salem had 10 possessions in the first quarter. Was getting lots of cheap marks as they switched the play.

From what I can tell gameplay wise, they are looking up the field, if there is nothing on offer get the switch going. As they switch it creates run and they rebound hard and fast off of half back. I like that and it was good to watch. Probably the last 10 mins of the 3rd and 4th quarter wasn't the best as they fell away a little. The 1st and 3rd quarter they were into a howling breeze. Hogan had a kick from 50 and only went 40-45m. But overall I see alot of improvement.

Players I thought stood out were:
Dawes
Jones
Tyson
Lumumba
Salem
Garlett
JKH
McDonald
Frost - Can't remember who he chased down but it was all the way from full forward to half back and was rewarded. Was coming home like a train. This guy has really surprised me.

Yeah Frost has amazing pace. He chased down Goodes I believe.

Yeah I watched the first half only in the end  :P and tbh I thought Grimes was pretty good. Think it unfair to judge any individuals based on their second half, as the whole team went awful. But apparently Watts had a decent second half, which was good to hear.

I noticed Lumumba seemed to be following the ball up until a certain point in the groud... maybe 80 from goal, so IMO he seems to base himself off half-back put often pushes up the ground.

Barra13

Yes you are right, it was Goodes. Actually thinking back as to why they fell away, there were some obvious mistakes but Roosy seemed to experiment a bit after that. Tyson and Jones were barely in the middle. Lumumba and Newton were in there a fair bit in the second half.