WXV Round 1: World-War VI

Started by Purple 77, March 19, 2017, 01:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

“So Purple, another season of Worlds is just days away! You know, this comp has been such an entertaining source of both elation and drama, so what brave, bold and daring new ideas do you have for this upcoming season?”

“... you don’t like my weekly write-ups, milestone players, mid-game updates, EurAsia v The AAP Alliance clashes, controversial administrative decisions, unforgettable finals series and unbelievable grand finals accompanied by the high-class event of the Jim Stynes Medal Ceremonies?”

“Well yeah, but...”

“BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT YOU’RE GETTING!”

“...”

“Mate, last year was incredible. The story that was New Delhi basically mirrored that of the Western Bulldogs all the way up to the last week of the season; only to be beaten by a sensationally Cripps-led Rio de Janeiro whom opted to first face Dublin at Crooke Park before bringing Brazil a second flag.

But it’s the stories along the way that makes the comp! It’s the mid-season turnarounds of Buenos Aires & PNL to make the finals. Its the amazing Beijing v Pacific match where a rested Josh Jenkins couldn’t add two more points to his 171 (+18 RP) to get Beijing into the finals. Its Toronto’s first win with its second ever coach in Round 11 against Cairo. It’s the fifth highest scoring team (Berlin) finishing flowering 12th. It’s the heartbreak of Seoul winning 10 games and not making finals - the first time that’s ever happened - denying them of their first finals berth at the same time.

Daniel Talia winning the Coaches Award?! Dangerfield winning his first Jim Stynes medal,  and Caleb Daniel winning the Rising Star medal in the most prestigious Awards Night WXVs has ever seen...”

“Purple, I never meant...”

“I give up sleep, I give up university grades, I give up contact with the real world!”

“You do a great job.”

“Well, it’s because I love it.”

“I’m sorry.”

“flowerin should be.”

PARTIAL LOCKOUT

Thursday night at 7:20pm AEDST: Carlton vs Richmond.

Just to re-iterate, this means that all Carlton and Richmond players you choose (or don't choose) to be in your team, will be 'locked in', meaning you cannot drop (or select initially un-chosen) players as soon as the first bounce occurs.

The rest of the round will be locked out at the commencement of Collingwood v Western Bulldogs on Friday night.

Round 1, AFL Round 1

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Buenos Aires ArmadillosChristchurch SaintsEstadio de River, AAP Alliance1  v  1
Cairo SandsTokyo SamuraiBorg El Arab Stadium2  v  3
Cape Town CobrasBeijing ThunderNewlands Cricket Ground2  v  3
Dublin DestroyersNew Delhi TigersCrooke Park, EurAsia4  v  1
London RoyalsNew York RevolutionNeutral, Gabba1  v  4
Mexico City SunsBerlin BrewersFireball Stadium4  v  2
Moscow SpetsnazPacific IslandersNeutral, Adelaide Oval5  v  1
Seoul MagpiesPNL ReindeersSeoul World Cup Stadium, EurAsia3  v  2
Toronto WolvesRio de Janeiro JaguarsRogers Centre, AAP Alliance, Americas1  v  1

Buenos Aires; the only team in WXVs history to trade Scott Pendlebury. What were they thinking?! The man whom was largely responsible for their finals appearance last year was spliced into Travis Boak, Taylor Walker and Darcy Parish, and really, it did inject some needed depth into the Buenos Aires line-up. I have predicted them to finish 17th this year, but with talent on every line ready to blossom, they’ll be competitive at the very least. Christchurch definitely have one of the more unique lists in the comp; a mix of veterans, gun young players with names that don’t ring out (still guns), and Bryce Gibbs. The Saints have made a name for themselves as being a consistent 140+ team which worked very well for them in their debut year, but they fell down on some key hurdles last year. However, that veteran core will win them more games than they’ll lose, and I’ve got them finishing 7th, so the Saints here for me.

Last years’ wooden spooners have probably had enough of both cellar dwelling and me picking on them in these reviews. But having stolen Andrew McGrath with Pick 2 in last years’ draft, picking on them will only be slightly less easy! Although I have predicted them to finish 18th (in a system that proved to be harsh on them), a fit Dayne Beams, favourable DPPs in Adams and Stevens, backed up with McGrath & McCluggage will surely see an improve in optimism and competitiveness. The Samurai are a team that’s hard to put your finger on; Johannisen, Parker and Dahlhaus are magnificent names to have as D1, M1 and F1 and will give Tokyo a high ceiling. So why do they underachieve? I bet its patience at waiting for the rest of the team to develop, and this year is as good as any for them to do so. I have them finishing at 14th, but like all the teams I’ve predicted to finish in the bottom 10, they will compete and beat teams on their day. I’ll back the Samurai here.

The Cape Town Cobras are under new management; ready to take on the World(XVs)! With My Chumps 5-year tenure coming to a close, as well as Memph, GoLions has big shoes to fill to get the Cobras back up to their 2012 heights where they made the Grand Final. Although GL has made some questionable moves (like trading Joel Smith for nothing), bringing in Pittard, the Richmond ruck set and Kieren Jack to compliment the youth that MC developed will see the Cobras be a serious threat (although I have them finishing 11th). The Thunder took another small step forward last year, being only one win away from making finals for the first time since 2012. The transformation has been incremental and, with a relatively quiet trade period, the coach has backed in his impressive young chargers to take them to September action. I have them in the conversation of finals at 9th this year, with opponents surely to get #petrekt, watch out for the Thunder, is all I’ll say. Beijing is my tip.

A nice little rivalry has been... baking... over the last few months, and I love it. It’s because of this, that I dub Dublin v New Delhi at my MATCH OF THE ROUND! The Destroyers shocked the competition in their last appearance, by losing to the eventual premiers in their home preliminary final. Like the Suns, the Destroyers are accustomed to being the best, and as an outsider looking in, it kinda feels like they go through the motions of the Home & Away season just to get to finals, so to lose a final in the manner they did... it’d be a frustrating 11.5 month wait to get another shot. The Destroyers are the team with the largest amount of elite players, but the least amount of decent players. Without much injury, I’ve tipped them to win the premiership, but I feel they are vulnerable this year. The Tigers, well, what a year. Barring Cairo winning the premiership, the turnaround they experienced over 12 months is likely to be the most dramatic in Worlds History (wooden spooners to runners-up). It was an incredible journey, but now, they have expectation and sit alongside with the better teams (in terms of reputation). Although I have them at 6th, another fruitful trade period will see them challenge again. At home, I’ll tip the Destroyers, but another injury (alongside Crouch) between now and Thursday will make me think the Tigers.

The Royals showed in 2016 that they know how to defend; getting 6 wins from the 4th least amount of points scored. With London making just three trades (with the main one bringing in CEY & Gray), I’ve predicted them to finish about the same (15th) as they did last year (14th), with a capable captain in Hannebery and upcoming young players, a jump is on the cards. They’ll be competitive and sneak a win on their day against a bigger opponent I reckon. The Revolution announced at November 17, 2016, 02:26:12 PM, that they will go hard for the premiership this year by acquiring a genuine captain in Joel Selwood. I have them finishing 5th this year, but I really believe that my top 6 are shots at taking the flag and New York are no exception. Grabbing Tyson for cheap, as well as Roughead relatively cheap to go along with Selwood spells a big year for the Revolution, and it starts with a win in Round 1.

It’s easy to compare the Suns with the Destroyers, as they always go hand-in-hand over the last 5 years. If the shock of Dublin losing to Rio in the preliminary finals wasn’t big enough for you, it was the Suns losing to New Delhi in the same week which blew my mind. Likewise with what I said with Dublin, it’d be a frustrating 11.5 month wait to get another shot at a flag, but with me having them finishing 2nd, they will again be a genuine shot for it, even without Harvey and Bartel. Now. If last year taught me anything at all, it’s not to pump up your own tires and start chirping. But, I’ve predicted Berlin to finish 4th this year with the firm belief that a fit Nat Fyfe and Max Gawn can take me all the way. I just need a little bit of luck, and not finish 12th again with the 5th most amount of points in a largely Fyfe-less year. I’ve amazingly beaten Mexico City in our last two encounters, but at Fireball Stadium, will have to back the Suns in.

The Spetsnaz can finally move on from the write-off of a year that was 2016; when Heppell and Hooker are taken away from you and JOM is injured again, there’s not a lot you can do. BUT! Heppell is back, JOM seems to be back and Hooker is now Jack Crisp. Coniglio going down for a little while is not ideal, likewise Naitanui, but the Spetsnaz can finally have a year of optimism on the backs of Docherty, the aforementioned and of course, Jesse. I have them finishing 12th as Naitanui is a big blow, but on their day, they can beat anyone in 2017. The professionally run and Bontempelli-led Islanders are primed to go again at finals, with easily the best midfield depth in the competition. Another relatively quiet trade period means they will again back their group of talented players whom would surely welcome the return of Michael Hurley. I have them finishing 8th this year but gee, they can finish higher than that and cause headaches for all teams in the comp, starting with Moscow.

The heartbreak story of 2016, the Seoul Magpies would be itching to have another charge at finals with reigning Jim Stynes medallist Patrick Dangerfield leading the way. Seoul proved last year that 10 wins doesn’t automatically get you into finals, and that you need more than one player to average more than 100 to do so. It’s in this department where I think Seoul are in luck. Josh Kelly, David Swallow, Tom Lynch, Toby Greene, heck even Clayton Oliver are all capable of hitting the ton and there is just SO MUCH ROOM for improvement in this team. I have them finishing 10th, but I expect them to be a firm contender for finals.  Speaking of heartbreak, there aren’t too many teams that can do it better than PNL, so kudos there Seoul. The Reindeers again stepped up to make finals, but again couldn’t go on with it to be bundled out in straight sets. With no more Enright, Malceski and the trading out of Westhoff, I’ve predicted a large fall from grace for the Reindeers to finish 13th this year. But Ryder, Billings, Wingard, Naismith and Sheridan can all up their game and if so, the Reindeers will push for finals again. But in the meantime, I’ll have my doubts and tip Seoul to win this one.

HE’S BACK! Toronto’s favourite son has returned, and the Wolves couldn’t be happier. Scott Pendlebury was easily the headline of Toronto’s off-season, so much so that you could forget that they added  Duncan, Hanley, Picken, Savage and Brodie Smith to their best XV too! With Brayshaw, Hopper and De Goey ready to take the next step, the feel at Toronto is entirely different to last year and they could easily finish higher than the 16th I have them at. And last but not least, Rio de Janeiro. Nothing else really matters at this stage, because you’ve conquered the World and can afford to spend at least this game drinking coffee and eating Macca’s. I’ll tip the Jaguars, and let this do the talking for me.

RaisyDaisy

So good to be back and even better to read the weekly Purps review!

Levi434

Excellent way to kick off the year Purp!

Dublin VS NDT will be a fire cracker! Mexico/Berlin also! In for an epic week!

Also GAJ > Pendles.

Nige

Jroo

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 19, 2017, 01:31:21 PM
So good to be back and even better to read the weekly Purps review!
This.

Our clash should be close Purps! Though we haven't beater you in a while, expect that to change ;)

DazBurg

Quote from: Nige on March 19, 2017, 02:29:31 PM
I missed the previews.  :P
this

they are finally back  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

meow meow

Great stuff Purps, have been looking forward to this for a while!

No McVeigh. No Montagna. No Lever. No Roughead.  No Wells. No worries!

CHRISTCHURCH SAINTS

B: Harris Andrews, Nathan Wilson, Robert Murphy, Sean Dempster
C: Bryce Gibbs (C), Sam Mitchell (vc), Ryan Griffen, Chris Masten
R: Nathan Vardy
F: Jack Steele, Kyle Langford, Toby McLean, Jarrad Waite
I: Shaun Higgins, Tom Boyd

E: Connor Blakely, Ryan Lester, Clay Smith

Resting: Aaron Sandilands

Ricochet

flower yes its back! Can't wait to get stuck into it

Amazing as always Purps

oh and

Dublin are flowering pie

Purple 77

Cheers all!

Also, GL, with the sad news of Colin Garland, in combination with the minor injuries of Frost & Hibberd... basically, Joel Smith is making his debut this week  8)

God I wished I was playing Cape Town, I really might select him if I was taking on your lot :P

RaisyDaisy

New York Revolution

B: Josh Gibson, Shannon Hurn, Robbie Tarrant, Lachie Henderson
M: Joel Selwood (C), David Mundy (VC), Jordan Lewis, Tom Scully
R: Kurt Tippett
F: Josh J Kennedy, Jarryd Roughead, Jake Stringer, Richard Douglas
I: Dom Tyson, Alex Sexton

E: Jade Gresham (F), Ben Reid (D), Reece Conca (M)

Holz

Backs:  A.Rance, T.McDonald, G.Birchall, J.Weitering
Mids: R.Sloane, A.Treloar (C), D.Martin, N.Jones
Ruck: T.Goldstein (VC)
Fwds: J.Gunston, J.Riewoldt, J.Westhoff, T.Hawkins
Interchange:  S.Hill, O. Mcdonald

Emg: Ed-Vicker Willis,  M.Daw, S.Durdin

starting to regret trading away all my bench at this point.

really missing Kayne "aparently not best 22" turner.

wouldnt mind adding buddy and rough back into the squad either.

GoLions

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 19, 2017, 04:45:35 PM
Also, GL, with the sad news of Colin Garland, in combination with the minor injuries of Frost & Hibberd... basically, Joel Smith is making his debut this week  8)

God I wished I was playing Cape Town, I really might select him if I was taking on your lot :P
Do it. I dare you :P

Toga

Awesome Purps, stoked to be back!!

Toga

BEIJING THUNDER:
D: H.Taylor, J.Thurlow, S.Mayes, S.Wellingham
M: D.Zorko (C), C.Ward (VC), L.Neale, O.Wines
R: B.Grundy
F: J.Caddy, J.Jenkins, C.Petracca, B.Hill
IC: B.Ellis, J.Polec

Emg: J.Aish (m), J.Hunt (d), M.Cox (f)

Jroo