My idea for a competition

Started by PowerBug, January 15, 2015, 11:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

I came up with an idea on the other thread, but I want to put it in a concrete spot, and explain everything out.

Firstly, what are we after in a competition that we run:

• It runs indefinitely
  • It will get involvement
  • It has the opportunity to expand in future

So what I propose is the following:
- A competition which runs on the Australian domestic summer. This is Sheffield Shield, Matador Cup, and Big Bash League
- We have 8 teams/franchises (franchises is a cooler name)
- Each of these franchises will contain a squad of 14 players
- For the Sheffield Shield and the Matador Cup, each franchise selects 6 of it's players to compete in a round. Selecting a wicketkeeper will have to be considered optional due to only 6 first choice keepers being available and 8 teams.
- For the Big Bash League, due to the higher intake of players, and the introduction of T20 only players, a secondary draft/silent bid can take place to contract players to franchises for the Big Bash only. (I have an idea on how to run a bidding system more effectively)
- The BBL will consist of 8 players per team, and wicketkeeper selection is compulsory (otherwise a penalty is given) (The structures can vary but have to be somewhat balanced. E.g. Can't play 7 bats and a keeper)
- The competitions runs separately, and we award three trophies, one for each competition.
- Scoring we can decide on later, but it will be different for each competition.

During off season we delist and re draft unwanted players. I have an idea on how to run it entirely with bidding as well, it will require a person that isn't involved with any club to be in charge.

Team names:
Adelaide ....
Melbourne ....
Sydney ....
Canberra ....
Hobart ....
Brisbane ....
Darwin ....
Perth ....

Thoughts and feedback?

nrich102

I think it's the best idea so far. IMO scoring will need to be different over the 3 formats of the game, so will have to work that out (will post something in the other thread soonish).

PowerBug

Quote from: nrich102 on January 15, 2015, 11:52:41 PM
I think it's the best idea so far. IMO scoring will need to be different over the 3 formats of the game, so will have to work that out (will post something in the other thread soonish).
Yep, I added the thing about scores. if we did it all on BBL scoring, I'd feel sorry for the bloke that doesn't get a 20 SR bonus for his bowlers in the Shield lol

nrich102

OK, it's up in the other thread now.

R.Griffen

Seems like a great idea but you will find out some players rather play grade cricket than Sheffield shield don't ask me why. But a squad side will need to be large many players miss out in eg International duty, other internationals playing big bash. Resting goes on during the first few rounds of Sheffield shield as the cricket players association would rather have a break. Injures are other factors, as known to the public Australian bowlers struggle playing a whole summer of cricket and if so they break down playing during the English summer.

It's a great idea tinkering will need to be done but he concept is great and would love to get this up and running

PowerBug

Quote from: R.Griffen on January 17, 2015, 10:39:26 PM
Seems like a great idea but you will find out some players rather play grade cricket than Sheffield shield don't ask me why. But a squad side will need to be large many players miss out in eg International duty, other internationals playing big bash. Resting goes on during the first few rounds of Sheffield shield as the cricket players association would rather have a break. Injures are other factors, as known to the public Australian bowlers struggle playing a whole summer of cricket and if so they break down playing during the English summer.

It's a great idea tinkering will need to be done but he concept is great and would love to get this up and running
I suppose this means that drafting players like Smith, Warner, Johnson wouldn't be the wisest move.

Everyone should be able to field 6 players a round, if they have recruited well.

Pkbaldy

Should make it selected spots. (Sorry if it's already decided just suggesting)
Don't know if you want to have keepers in the game as 'keepers' or rather batsmen or allrounders. But a structured set out would be better. Only suggesting the 'Captain' position to add a bit of fun to it, no special rewards have to come from it. But could make it a x2 or a x1.5 player.

Best VI Format:
Batsmen: Player 1, Player 2
Allrounder: Player 1, Player 2
Bowler: Player 1, Player 2
Emg: Batsmen, Allrounder, Bowler

Or

Allrounder: Player 1
Captain(Any position player): Player 1

Best VII Format:

Batsmen: Player 1, Player 2, Player 3
Allrounder: Player 1,
Bowler: Player 1, Player 2, Player 3

Or

Allrounder: Player 1, Player 2
Captain(Any position player): Player 1

nrich102

Would wicket keepers count as batsmen?

Think we should just go 7 players of any position, but with at least say 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: nrich102 on January 20, 2015, 08:03:25 PM
Would wicket keepers count as batsmen?

Think we should just go 7 players of any position, but with at least say 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers.

High batting keepers would be counted as batsmen, and midbatting keepers would be Allrounders I guess.
Not for me to decide. haha. I'm all up for Best VII.

So with what you said with at least 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers it could be;
Best VII Format:
Captain(Any position gets x2 or x1.5): Player 1
Utilities(Any Role): Player 1, Player 2

or

Utilities (Any Role): Player 1, Player 2, Player 3

PowerBug

It will be 6 players only. If we go 7 then 7x8=56 and that only leaves 10 spares. having 18 spares is safer imo.

BB67th

This competition is looking good at this stage, really keen for it!

With the planned silent auctions, how many rounds will we have?

Also, what format are we going with for teams?

PowerBug

Quote from: BB67th on January 21, 2015, 12:19:48 PM

Rounds will continue until every team has passed. Once you pass you can' re-enter.

Teams I will decide upon soon as well.

Scrads

Quote from: PowerBug on January 21, 2015, 02:16:42 PM

Rounds will continue until every team has passed. Once you pass you can' re-enter.

Also how will the silent auctions work? Obviously we can't send our bids in to you, seeing as you will be bidding too!

PowerBug

Quote from: Scrads on January 21, 2015, 02:39:06 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on January 21, 2015, 02:16:42 PM

Also how will the silent auctions work? Obviously we can't send our bids in to you, seeing as you will be bidding too!
Bidding for who? I don't have a team. You will be sending them to me.

AFEV

I'd love to get involved in this if it goes ahead!