Main Menu

Best 22 for 2016

Started by nrich102, August 17, 2015, 06:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

Interested to see what others think, maybe it's a bit early but meh.

FB: Andrews, Merrett, Paparone
HB: Rich, Clarke, Harwood
C: Robinson, Rocky, Zorko
HF: Green, Freeman, Bundy
FF: Leuy, Close, Adcock
Fol: Martin, Beams, Redden

Int: McStay, Taylor, Hanley, Mayes

Thoughts? I reckon one of Martin/Leuy will leave, so West will come into the side for one of them. Haven't bothered with Aish as Im expecting the worst there. Staker should retire. Named Close at FF, I reckon we should give him first chance in the forward line if he's fit

Leaves McGuane, Beams, Robertson, Dawson, Gardiner, McGrath, Cutler, Bewick, ZOB and Bourke fighting to come up from the 2s.

We should probably look to trade Bewick, Lester and Golby. Not to sure on who we'll delist though, Maybe Paine, but I think we'll give him 1 more year.

Rookie list also looks pretty good. ZOB and Bourke will probably be upgraded. Smith, Hammelman and Hanley should all be good in a couple of seasons.

Probably forgot to name someone obvious in our best team, let me know who :P

Big Mac

GoLions

Looks pretty much spot on. Claye might get in over Mayes perhaps, looked really good before he was injured. Probably wouldn't change anything else.

LF

Toga

Hoping to see some big improvement from Mayes next year, I think he'll be a gun when he finds his feet. Just got a good football head and has great skills, will be a real asset if he is used in the right way

nrich102

If we get Dixon or another big forward they'll probably replace Close at FF. I assume We'll give Close the gig over Schache at first, but who knows.

Really looking forward to seeing Mayes next year. Was very good for the first half of the game against the blues.

Will also be interesting where McStay will play. Leppa said he sees him more as a defender but he had to play in a forward line cause of injuries. Tbh I think Gardiner would probably get the gig as a defender, but McStay brings the swingman option.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Adcock loses his spot sometime next year to McGrath or someone.

Ringo

I would interchange Taylor and Adcock - Think Adcock getting close to end of career and he should be interchange. Taylor on field gives us more options as well.  Gardiner may force his way in as well as Leppa likes his talls in defence.

Nige

How's the 22 for 2016 looking after the player exchange period guys?

A few solid best 22 acquisitions in Bell + Bastinac, as well obviously Schache and potentially Jansen and Walker as well.

GoLions

Off the top of my head...

B: Andrews, Merrett, Paparone
HB: Harwood, Clarke, Rich
C: Robinson, Rockliff, Bastinac
HF: Zorko, Close, Christensen
F: Green, Freeman, Taylor
R: Martin, D Beams, Hanley

I: C Beams, McStay, Mayes, Bell

West or Walker could replace Close.
McGrath very unlucky to miss out.
Lester, Bewick, Cutler, Gardiner all pushing for selection. ZOB and Robertson as well.

Hanley and Rich will ideally rotate through mids and HBF. Rocky will rest forward when necessary allowing Christensen or Zorko to run through the mids a bit (along with D Beams and co having rests). Bell probably a lock for 22, but Mayes, C Beams, McStay all could be pushed out by those mentioned earlier.

I think that's pretty close?

Ringo

Would switch Hanley and Basti as Basti is a an inside mid more than outside and Hanley is outside.  So Beams and Basti would be a nice combo on the ball.

Nailed it reasonably well and not a lot I would change at it would only be moving fringe players around. Great to see depth across the park at last and with our predicted draft picks will improve further.

Holz

anyone think that Cian Hanley could get a game this year?

Ringo

Quote from: Holz on November 10, 2015, 03:50:53 PM
anyone think that Cian Hanley could get a game this year?
Only if we get injuries and then only an outside chance.  He has yet to play even a game of AFL so will spend most of the season in the NEAFL learning the game. He is also still on our rookie list as well and has not as yet been promoted.

Ringo

Hers is Mike Whitings take on best 22

B: Dan McStay, Daniel Merrett, Harris Andrews
HB: Tom Cutler, Justin Clarke, Pearce Hanley
C: Sam Mayes, Dayne Beams, Lewy Taylor
HF: Allen Christensen, Josh Schache, Tom Bell
F: Josh Green, Josh Walker, Jono Freeman
Foll: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Ryan Bastinac
I/C: Daniel Rich, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson, Claye Beams

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Darcy Gardiner, Josh Watts, Sam Skinner, Hugh Beasley*
General defenders: Ryan Harwood, Josh McGuinness, Marco Paparone, Jaden McGrath, Liam Dawson, Reuben William*
Key-position forwards: Michael Close, Eric Hipwood, Jackson Paine*, Matthew Hammelman*
General forwards: Rohan Bewick, Josh Clayton
Midfielders: Nick Robertson, Ryan Lester, Jarrad Jansen, Ben Keays, Rhys Mathieson, Cian Hanley*, Billy Evans*
Rucks: Trent West, Archie Smith*

There's a lot of question marks entering 2016 and a lot could be decided over the pre-season for the Lions. Darcy Gardiner is terribly unlucky to miss and any slip-up from Daniel McStay or Justin Clarke will see him inserted immediately. Tom Cutler looks ready to take the next step and own a half-back flank, while Pearce Hanley's run and superb ball use is made for a similar role. While the midfield looks solid â€" and I'm expecting Sam Mayes to recapture his absolute best form â€" the headaches come up front. Draftee Josh Schache is young, but no doubt in the best team. Jono Freeman is a nice third tall option, but depending on the match-up, it wouldn't surprise if the Lions surrounded two bigs with a fleet of smalls and relied on Tom Bell to be the third target. - Michael Whiting

I do not see Hanley starting at HB myself.  Would start him in the centre move Mayes to bench and start Rich at HB.
Real toss up between Harwood and Cutler.
Forwards still a lottery though and arguments can be made for inclusions of others.
Gardiner, Lester, Close and Cutler/Harwood the unlucky ones,

GoLions

I'd still have Harwood over Cutler, potentially Close over Schache depending on whether Schache is actually ready to be that CHF yet or not. Rest seems about right. Think Keays will get a few games at some point this season, maybe over C Beams or Mayes depending on form.

nrich102

Pretty much agree with all you've said Ringo. I reckon Harwood should play ahead of Cutler, also, I think Paparone is definitely best 22. Id probably go

FB: Paparone, Merrett, Andrews
HB: Rich, Clarke, Harwood
C: Taylor, Beams, Hanley
HF: Christensen, Freeman, Bell
FF: Green, Walker, Robinson
Foll: Martin, Rockliff, Bastinac
IC: Zorko, Mayes, McStay, Beams

In: Paparone, Harwood
Out: Cutler, Schache

I think give Schache a few weeks in the NEAFL before we call him up. I don't know how we could leave Paparone out really, was solid for most of the season. Team looks pretty decent on paper, hopefully we can win a few more games than last season.