Rio 2016 Olympics

Started by fanTCfool, July 18, 2016, 09:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

The Chinese getting super defensive over the truthful words spoken by Mack Horton, their media even had to resort to the fact Australia was settled by British convicts. Like that hasn't been said before!

Glad the Aussies are backing up Mack's words :)

Mat0369

Quote from: valkorum on August 08, 2016, 03:50:59 PM
Grab the App "Olympics on 7" and you can watch replays (a day later I think)

I missed the AUS v FRA basketball game and am now watching the replay on the app

Alright sweet, I will probably have to do it tomorrow night. Thanks for the heads up.

Ringo

Quote from: PowerBug on August 08, 2016, 07:06:31 PM
The Chinese getting super defensive over the truthful words spoken by Mack Horton, their media even had to resort to the fact Australia was settled by British convicts. Like that hasn't been said before!

Agree PB - Interesting watching the comments from the Chinese - Still saying it was heart medication and that is why he had the back dated ban.
Anyway as you say great to see him being backed by Aussies and great to see Mack sticking to his convictions. 1500 will be an interesting race.

Sad to see the Joker eliminated in the tennis though,

Torpedo10

Quote from: Ringo on August 08, 2016, 07:46:47 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on August 08, 2016, 07:06:31 PM

Agree PB - Interesting watching the comments from the Chinese - Still saying it was heart medication and that is why he had the back dated ban.
Anyway as you say great to see him being backed by Aussies and great to see Mack sticking to his convictions. 1500 will be an interesting race.

Sad to see the Joker eliminated in the tennis though,
The good feel story of the Tournament has to be Del Potro though. Comes back from two wrist operations to take down the World No.1!

Ziplock

I really want to weigh in on this whole olympics doping saga.

Firstly- props to Mack Horton for taking a hardline against doping. And it's disgusting the abuse he's copped for it. He's called a spade a spade- I don't know if it's just that the media is so controlled that the chinese don't know about his doping ban, but it's so unreasonable. To compare it to essendon, even the most ardent fans ended up just copping it.

As for his heart meds- if that's true (which personally I doubt) the IOC and WADA have stipulations in place to allow therapeutic use of otherwise illicit substances. He just needs to prove he has the condition and that the meds were his only option.

I just read an article about a russian swimmer who was banned earlier this year and called out for being a drug cheat too, her response was that she was taking a legal substance that was then banned and it happened to still be in her system. The changes to the banned substance list are released in september while they're enacted in january... most drugs would have been well cleared by then.

Basically, neither of those are valid excuses in a modern sport.

As for flowering Russia in general- they never should have been allowed to compete in this olympics. It wouldn't be fair to the clean athletes, but when you have state sponsored doping, flower them.

We're not talking about just athletics, weightlifting and tennis, we're talking about between a dozen and a couple of hundred athletes caught coping  in EACH of these sports
Athletics
Weightlifting
Wrestling
Canoeing
Cycling
Skating
Swimming
Ice Hockey
Skiing
Soccer
Rowing

Like I'm sorry, grow a backbone. The IOC was completely able to ban them but doged out. It's pathetic they're competing.

Ringo

Agree 100% The Paraolympic committee has more gonads than the IOC and have banned Russia completely.  Although Russia is challenging the decision in the Sports courts.
Why are athletes such as Mack Horton and Lily King from the US coping abuse for speaking out and saying what a lot of athletes believe.

shaker

The Russians should have all been banned but singling out the Chinese dude is a bit rich when the Americans have Gatlin in there team  ::) ......  I wonder how many athletes are competing that have been caught doping , many I think.

blue

Swimming commentary is poor at best, basil and giaan Rooney are useless, watching the relay the other day Aussies were 1st on the 1st change and then on the second Rooney bangs on how the Aussies have moved up to 4th and doing well. They went flowering backwards and all that bullshower about Australia's golden couple in the pool and neither of them got a medal, both hockey sides have been shower and on that how can the men lose 2 games win 1 and still make it thru to the finals. Tried to watch some of the judo ( well I think it was ) and can't for the life of me understand what a shower sport like that is doing in the olympics. My stand outs so far has been the boomers, skinner winning gold in the shooting and michael phelps winning his 20th and 21st gold medals, for a man who smokes cones and gets done for drink driving, has to be a serious contender for US president in the future.

GoLions

Why was that Zimbabwe chick standing in the goals, obviously she was never gonna block it? :P (watching women's soccer btw)

Torpedo10

Quote from: GoLions on August 10, 2016, 10:50:39 PM
Why was that Zimbabwe chick standing in the goals, obviously she was never gonna block it? :P (watching women's soccer btw)
Exactly my thoughts.

PowerBug

Mmmmm Beach Volleyball 8) 27-25 is a fair score for a set, seeing as its first to 21!

fanTCfool

Quote from: PowerBug on August 11, 2016, 12:25:50 AM
Mmmmm Beach Volleyball 8) 27-25 is a fair score for a set, seeing as its first to 21!

Faults killed The Netherlands that set, Aussies did well to stay in it and then come over the top
Netherlands aren't really embracing the desired dress code too well either  8)

PowerBug

Quote from: fanTCfool on August 11, 2016, 12:31:49 AM
Quote from: PowerBug on August 11, 2016, 12:25:50 AM

Faults killed The Netherlands that set, Aussies did well to stay in it and then come over the top
Netherlands aren't really embracing the desired dress code too well either  8)
I wanted to avoid that kind of comment because it can be seen as not embracing the sport for the quality of the athletes ;)

It's the fact they are really good athletes and are super fit which make them look good right?

Now for Hockey!

PowerBug

Ads on all three channels at once can F off. Watching the Cycling and Rohan blitzing them all after the first two time checks! :D

PowerBug

Damn mountains that 3rd time check won't be the quickest Froome will gobble up his advantage in that split. :-\