Main Menu

Where will Geelong finish in 2012?

Started by McRooster, September 19, 2010, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Ablett does free up money, but not as much as you'd think. He was only being paid $500k or so this year

bunyip

We've lost our best president ever, our equal best coach ever, and possibly our best player ever in the last few weeks. Not to mention a few assistant coaches and trainers that helped get the club on top the last few years. I think it's safe to say that the end of this season has been a disaster. I just have a terrible feeling that there is more to come.

ossie85

Do you think Geelong should go into trade period with the attitude of "lets have another shot at the flag" or "lets build the next dynasty"?

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on October 05, 2010, 08:45:54 AM

Do you think Geelong should go into trade period with the attitude of "lets have another shot at the flag" or "lets build the next dynasty"?
That's a tough call, but I think they can still have a crack. They've still got enough cattle to at least have a shot.

Milton

Quote from: ossie85 on October 05, 2010, 06:37:21 AM

Ablett does free up money, but not as much as you'd think. He was only being paid $500k or so this year

Ossie .. I think they were budgeting for close on a $mill for Gaz this year so if that's right it frees up a fair bit

Milton

Quote from: ossie85 on October 05, 2010, 08:45:54 AM

Why not do both  .. we've got enough good players to have a crack and at the same time build for the future by adding some of the good youngsters .. but that's the tough part .. there's been mention that Menzel, Vardy, T Hunt, Laidler, Mitch Brown, Duncan, S Motlop etc need serious game time .. that's 7 players coming in .. okay unless we're allowed to play with 29 .. name the 7 going out .. for me it's Hawkins, Mooney (maybe 1 more year), Milburn, Lonergen .. then who ? .. can't say Blake and Rooke they weren't in the team at the end of the year and neither was Mackie .. as I said 'hard calls' needed but we must get game time into those kids

ossie85

Cam Ling is the toughest call in my book. I really think he was exposed in the finals.

Quote from: Milton on October 05, 2010, 09:55:33 AM
Quote from: ossie85 on October 05, 2010, 06:37:21 AM

Ossie .. I think they were budgeting for close on a $mill for Gaz this year so if that's right it frees up a fair bit

And that's the same logic as buying something you weren't gonna get anyway at half price, and saying you saved money :)

My point is, with $500k your saving from Ablett leaving, that is 'only' a $100k pay rise for Selwood, Bartel, Chapman, Stevie J and Kelly. Reckon they're probably entitled to more

bunyip

Right on oss. Cookie was saying that a few days, (or was it years) ago. I think they'll use the money they save and distribute it around to the players and use the draft to recruit young guys, or experienced players who don't ask for high pay. I would be surprised (and disapointed) if there were wholesale sackings.
Some of the older players who's contract is up next year may resign. The Cats still have a raft of players between 25 and 29 who are in their prime.
What we can't afford in my humble opinion, is to lose any more support staff.

Milton

Do you guys agree that they have to get game time into those kids ... if so how are they going to do that by playing the same 22 as was in the Prelim ?

Milton

Quote from: ossie85 on October 05, 2010, 10:35:00 AM

And that's the same logic as buying something you weren't gonna get anyway at half price, and saying you saved money :)

I understand what you're saying but if you've put away 'X' amount of dollars for something and then you don't buy it .. you've then got 'X' amount of dollars to spend .. no ?

ossie85

Quote from: Milton on October 05, 2010, 03:43:51 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on October 05, 2010, 10:35:00 AM

I understand what you're saying but if you've put away 'X' amount of dollars for something and then you don't buy it .. you've then got 'X' amount of dollars to spend .. no ?

True, but the scenario wasn't "spend money or don't spend money", it was
"spend money on Ablett or spend money on the rest of the playing group".

No denying it does free up the salary cap, and it would have been more difficult had he stayed in a lot of ways

Milton

Hard to argue either way when we don't know all the facts

Great to see this from AFL website, quoting Tom Harley  .. "After so many years of stability, and two premierships in the past four seasons, Harley indicated it was now time for youth to push through at Geelong" .. and I agree

bunyip

So do I, but if your best 22 are the older players what do you do? We've had a pretty good run with injuries so the younger players have not had long term exposure to senior footy.
Like every other team we play the young guys when we can. You don't have wholesale sackings like Richmond for eg. if you finish in the top 4, do you?

Milton

Quote from: bunyip on October 06, 2010, 09:38:19 AM
So do I, but if your best 22 are the older players what do you do? We've had a pretty good run with injuries so the younger players have not had long term exposure to senior footy.
Like every other team we play the young guys when we can. You don't have wholesale sackings like Richmond for eg. if you finish in the top 4, do you?

I agree that we don't need wholesale sackings but we should look at a two year plan to change the team around 'cos if we don't play the kids soon they'll go elsewhere

McRooster

Geelong ATM to win the flag $10.00
                                to make the GF $5.00
                               top four $2.20
                               highest placed Vic (inc finals) $8.50

Does one player and one coach take too much away from a generous 10 to 1 odds at the flag, it probably does but it's your money. ;)