Main Menu

What grinds your gears ?

Started by strikes91, August 28, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

Quote from: Holz on July 12, 2017, 03:06:17 PM
What grinds my gear.

When people care more about the grammar then the actual content.

ill take great content with incorrect grammar over rubbish that is worded perfectly.
Hahaha what kind of dumbass reason is this?

Correct grammar doesn't translate to poor content. That's legit the worst justification I have ever heard.

You know you can use correct grammar and also not talk rubbish?

Holz

Quote from: Vinny on July 12, 2017, 03:32:41 PM
Quote from: Holz on July 12, 2017, 03:06:17 PM
What grinds my gear.

ill take great content with incorrect grammar over rubbish that is worded perfectly.
Hahaha what kind of dumbass reason is this?

Correct grammar doesn't translate to poor content. That's legit the worst justification I have ever heard.

You know you can use correct grammar and also not talk rubbish?

I said I would rather great content worded poorly then poor content worded perfectly.

Obviously great content, worded perfectly is the best thing to do.

I have seen amazing content been nitpicked because of grammar and spelling at uni/school. While boring run of the mill content with perfect grammar and spelling get rewarded.

if your sitting an English exam then go at it with the grammar and spelling, if not who cares.

If you go into a panic attack when someone goes Could of instead of Could've then thats on you.

this was saying when someone says something really interesting and a person doesn't address the content and picks up a spelling or grammar error instead.

PowerBug

But Holz, right now you're spilling rubbish and have poor grammar, so where does that put you? :P

Edit: lol rip I'm an idiot that can't spell grammar ;D

Holz

Quote from: PowerBug on July 12, 2017, 04:23:27 PM
But Holz, right now you're spilling rubbish and have poor grammer, so where does that put you? :P

Saying content is the most important thing isn't rubbish.

So it puts me as an intelligent human being rather then a spell checking program.

Nige

Quote from: Holz on July 12, 2017, 04:11:30 PM
if your sitting

I see you didn't learn a thing from my post above.

Quote from: Holz on July 12, 2017, 04:11:30 PM

I'm not judging Holz, but I'm simply guessing you're the type who would rather shoot somebody else then yourself rather than shoot somebody else than yourself.

fanTCfool

That is one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum all year, and I check the Players & Trades board.

Torpedo10

Quote from: fanTCfool on July 12, 2017, 04:39:49 PM
That is one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum all year, and I check the Players & Trades board.

Nige

Quote from: Torpedo10 on July 12, 2017, 04:48:56 PM
Quote from: fanTCfool on July 12, 2017, 04:39:49 PM

jvalles69

What the???  Kids need to learn correct grammar, not be rewarded for making valid points with terrible English, every grammatical error should have marks deducted to get them ready for university/real life or you're just sending them to the wolves!  I don't give a shower about grammar on a forum like this or someones FB update, but when it comes to professionalism, correct English is a must!

Holz

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 12, 2017, 06:30:10 PM
What the???  Kids need to learn correct grammar, not be rewarded for making valid points with terrible English, every grammatical error should have marks deducted to get them ready for university/real life or you're just sending them to the wolves!  I don't give a shower about grammar on a forum like this or someones FB update, but when it comes to professionalism, correct English is a must!

I agree but most people arent teachers. Bringing up gramatical errors is important just not on forums/texts or general chats which people do.

People shouldnt have an issue unless your a teacher or your in a professional envoronment.

On the teacher side id like more focus on grammar and sentence studies actually. Too much time was wasted on topics like gender studies in english class.

The whole thing started wirh a complaint about could of and could have. What grinds my gears is those peolple.

Im not saying grammar and spelling is not importamt.

jvalles69

Quote from: Holz on July 12, 2017, 09:52:46 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on July 12, 2017, 06:30:10 PM

I agree but most people arent teachers. Bringing up gramatical errors is important just not on forums/texts or general chats which people do.

People shouldnt have an issue unless your a teacher or your in a professional envoronment.

On the teacher side id like more focus on grammar and sentence studies actually. Too much time was wasted on topics like gender studies in english class.

The whole thing started wirh a complaint about could of and could have. What grinds my gears is those peolple.

Im not saying grammar and spelling is not importamt.

Yeah agreed then.  Found this description on Urban Dictionary.  ;D

QuoteGrammar Nazi's are by far the most hated people on the internet. Due to the simple fact you know in daily life their ether absolute nobody or somebody with nobody.

So they feel they have to adjust spelling and grammar because they genuinely believe that spelling, and grammar is the only way to live.

I would love to say grammar Nazi's are similar to Trolls (see Trolls), However this is not the case. They actually do get angry at unreasonable grammar, Even though they seem to forget that planet earth is multicultural and English is not some peoples first second or third language. However Grammar Nazi's only usually speak one language English.

Grammar Nazi's can only be found on the internet This is due to their absolute coward ness outside the world wide web. If a grammar Nazi was to exist outside the internet there head would presumably explode this is because in the real world, most humans speak somewhat slang, and if a random grammar Nazi was to correct someone on the high street for example, they would get the hardest punch on the face they could possibly receive.

Big Mac

I actually agree with Holz here, and I can be a stickler for grammar sometimes.

If you're going to dedicate your time to something, it's much more beneficial for both parties to look at and judge what the person's actually saying, rather than whether or not they've spelt "you're" correctly.

Holz isn't saying that grammar isn't important.

meow meow

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 12, 2017, 10:20:31 PM
Grammar Nazi's are by far the most hated people on the internet. Due to the simple fact you know in daily life their ether absolute nobody or somebody with nobody.

What a stupid cow. I didn't bother reading the rest because the author is clearly a moron.

jvalles69

Quote from: meow meow on July 12, 2017, 10:56:09 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on July 12, 2017, 10:20:31 PM
Grammar Nazi's are by far the most hated people on the internet. Due to the simple fact you know in daily life their ether absolute nobody or somebody with nobody.

What a stupid cow. I didn't bother reading the rest because the author is clearly a moron.

Confused by this bit too,
Quoteabsolute nobody or somebody with nobody
.  ???

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 12, 2017, 10:23:39 PM
I actually agree with Holz here, and I can be a stickler for grammar sometimes.

If you're going to dedicate your time to something, it's much more beneficial for both parties to look at and judge what the person's actually saying, rather than whether or not they've spelt "you're" correctly.

Holz isn't saying that grammar isn't important.

Totally agreed.

I do quite substantial written documents at uni where I focus on my sentence structure and grammar extensively. Nothing showers me more when I make a FF post where I'm blazing away at a massive post (which I don't care to proof read), and the one mistake I make gets pulled up.

Strictly on the platforms of chat or a forum, I actually find pulling such things up quite rude. Unless it's totally necessary.