Main Menu

What grinds your gears ?

Started by strikes91, August 28, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazz

Quote from: Torpedo10 on September 12, 2016, 05:06:44 PM
Quote from: Grazz on September 12, 2016, 04:49:57 PM
Yeh it's ridiculous Ringo. My father was involved with aviation for decades and other family members in different capacities such as pilots, ticketing manager, stewards etc and to a man/woman all say there is absolutely no reason for the airlines to increase fares to the levels they do other than to grab as much cash as possible from those travelling over those dates. The ACCC should be all over this but like they fuel companies they continue to get away with it because the ACCC is a toothless tiger reluctant to spend any of their budget policing this.

Domestic airlines lease a large percentage of their aircraft, it's far more profitable to have these aircraft in the air flying than sitting idle on the tarmac. Extra demand at anytime saves the airlines a great deal but in return they use these times to rip off those travelling over particular dates where demand is higher than normal.
Why do hotels cost more during holiday season? I'm sure everyone will tell you they'd rather go during the middle of school/Uni season as that's when everything is cheap.  ;)

Pure fact is you either have to book when they're cheaper, or face the consequences.

Although absolutely true Torp why are we so accepting of these practices certain industries employ against us.
I think as a nation we are an apathetic bunch when it comes to these issues, we just continue to put up with it
and while we do business can and will continue to rip us off at any given opportunity. Sad but true.

Torpedo10

Quote from: Grazz on September 12, 2016, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: Torpedo10 on September 12, 2016, 05:06:44 PM
Quote from: Grazz on September 12, 2016, 04:49:57 PM
Yeh it's ridiculous Ringo. My father was involved with aviation for decades and other family members in different capacities such as pilots, ticketing manager, stewards etc and to a man/woman all say there is absolutely no reason for the airlines to increase fares to the levels they do other than to grab as much cash as possible from those travelling over those dates. The ACCC should be all over this but like they fuel companies they continue to get away with it because the ACCC is a toothless tiger reluctant to spend any of their budget policing this.

Domestic airlines lease a large percentage of their aircraft, it's far more profitable to have these aircraft in the air flying than sitting idle on the tarmac. Extra demand at anytime saves the airlines a great deal but in return they use these times to rip off those travelling over particular dates where demand is higher than normal.
Why do hotels cost more during holiday season? I'm sure everyone will tell you they'd rather go during the middle of school/Uni season as that's when everything is cheap.  ;)

Pure fact is you either have to book when they're cheaper, or face the consequences.

Although absolutely true Torp why are we so accepting of these practices certain industries employ against us.
I think as a nation we are an apathetic bunch when it comes to these issues, we just continue to put up with it
and while we do business can and will continue to rip us off at any given opportunity. Sad but true.
True Grazz.

They do say half of businesses go bankrupt in the first five years, makes you wonder what some industries are doing wrong? They're still far from a sure thing, even with these random price hikes to increase  profit.

Spite

To add to Grazz's case, a year and a half ago I could fly to Sydney return for around $80 and now booking the same length of time in advance, I can manage $120 at best (and let me tell you it is rarely a best case scenario). I fly often (girlfriend lives interstate) and they've been creeping up the prices over the past 2 years and it is starting to get silly now

crowls

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 29, 2013, 12:18:39 AM
waking up to go to the toilet and not being able to go back to sleep
you are in for a rude shock in about 30+ years KB.   

nrich102

I live in Cairns, so flights are always cheap to other tourist places  8)

Something that really annoys me is people using the word humbled in the wrong situation, eg someone winning the brownlow and saying they're humbled. They're not humbled, they're proud. Opposites.

Holz

Quote from: nrich102 on September 13, 2016, 11:29:54 AM

Something that really annoys me is people using the word humbled in the wrong situation, eg someone winning the brownlow and saying they're humbled. They're not humbled, they're proud. Opposites.

cairns cost me loads to get to, but then i saw pretty cheap flights when i booked on the day, after my flight was cancelled :(

nrich102

Quote from: Holz on September 13, 2016, 11:38:53 AM
Quote from: nrich102 on September 13, 2016, 11:29:54 AM

cairns cost me loads to get to, but then i saw pretty cheap flights when i booked on the day, after my flight was cancelled :(
Damn. Normally fly to the coast and being the tourist trail, can get fairly decent prices.

jvalles69

This mildly grinds my gears...

When you're in a loaded elevator near the door, I always feel like it's polite to let the oldies and women out first even though you know as soon as you step out of the elevator that you'll overtake all of them in seconds.  I mean when there's a fire evacuation the less mobile population is the last to leave.  Can i start exiting elevators first?  ???

PowerBug

Quote from: jvalles69 on September 13, 2016, 12:11:56 PM
This mildly grinds my gears...

When you're in a loaded elevator near the door, I always feel like it's polite to let the oldies and women out first even though you know as soon as you step out of the elevator that you'll overtake all of them in seconds.  I mean when there's a fire evacuation the less mobile population is the last to leave.  Can i start exiting elevators first?  ???
Well, when there's a fire evacuation you shouldn't be using the elevator ;) If you're standing in front of the door, then leave first. I wouldn't say it's impolite to walk out first.

R.Griffen

People who get salty so easy. Like there was this bloke on Twitter Friday night going for Hawks, he isn't even a Hawks supporter he goes for Crows so he hates Geelong because of Danger. Writing stuff after the game saying it was rigged, the Geelong players can all go die. Umpires were going for Geelong all night, they cheated. Literally anyone like this can get absolutely stuffed

Koop

Quote from: R.Griffen on September 13, 2016, 12:36:07 PM
People who get salty so easy. Like there was this bloke on Twitter Friday night going for Hawks, he isn't even a Hawks supporter he goes for Crows so he hates Geelong because of Danger. Writing stuff after the game saying it was rigged, the Geelong players can all go die. Umpires were going for Geelong all night, they cheated. Literally anyone like this can get absolutely stuffed

Sounds like tbag. :p

Ringo

Really grinding me that the Para Olympians are not getting the recognition they deserve.  Olympians were all over front pages of newspapers but the para Olympians you have to look hard to find any.
There are none of the tantrums and pandering that occurs with Olympians and they should be recognised for what they have achieved in spite of their disabilities. Channel seven does not even show on main channel.
I have enjoyed watching when able and may I say congratulations to all Para Olympians and especially the Australian Para Olympians who will probably win more gold medals than what we did at the Olympics,
Interestingly the first 4 athletes in the visually impaired 1500 metres beat the time that won the event in the Olympics. Fair enough tactics involved in Olympics but well done.

nrich102

Quote from: Ringo on September 13, 2016, 06:28:15 PM
Really grinding me that the Para Olympians are not getting the recognition they deserve.  Olympians were all over front pages of newspapers but the para Olympians you have to look hard to find any.
There are none of the tantrums and pandering that occurs with Olympians and they should be recognised for what they have achieved in spite of their disabilities. Channel seven does not even show on main channel.
I have enjoyed watching when able and may I say congratulations to all Para Olympians and especially the Australian Para Olympians who will probably win more gold medals than what we did at the Olympics,
Interestingly the first 4 athletes in the visually impaired 1500 metres beat the time that won the event in the Olympics. Fair enough tactics involved in Olympics but well done.
This This This.

Jukes

After GB whooped Aus' asses in the normal Olympics I didn't think Aussies had the heart to watch them get pounded in the Paralympics too ;)

Definitely should get more recognition though - these are fantastic athletes battling adversity, inspiring stuff

Rusty00

Quote from: R.Griffen on September 13, 2016, 12:36:07 PM
You might want to stay away from the Matchday threads on here then ;) :P