The Watchlist - 2023 Edition

Started by Mat0369, February 01, 2023, 02:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Looks great mate, different structure to mine, the Yeo injury has forced me to go even lighter in defence but I don't feel confident enough with some of the premos.

arbel

Not a bad team ... I like the defense seems to be the norm with having Jones at D4.
Yeah rookies are slowly coming out so can start planning around them.
Mids are a little thin with 3 genuine prems. I like the Darcy pick, will be interesting to see how he goes when alongside Jackson.
It's a very different fwd structure from most. Hope it pays off, could be a game changer!

Mat0369

Quote from: Bully on March 16, 2023, 02:01:54 PM
Looks great mate, different structure to mine, the Yeo injury has forced me to go even lighter in defence but I don't feel confident enough with some of the premos.

That's fair, I feel a lot of them are overpriced because we rarely see that many defenders in the top line of scorers. I think guys like Stewart, Doc and Dawson will all be top 6 so I don't mind paying more for them. Going strong down back last year burnt me and I have found rookie defenders tend to score pretty well, but I think I've hit the right balance.

Quote from: arbel on March 16, 2023, 03:31:15 PM
Not a bad team ... I like the defense seems to be the norm with having Jones at D4.
Yeah rookies are slowly coming out so can start planning around them.
Mids are a little thin with 3 genuine prems. I like the Darcy pick, will be interesting to see how he goes when alongside Jackson.
It's a very different fwd structure from most. Hope it pays off, could be a game changer!

It all depends on the rookies and what lines they're available. There are a ton down back, but mid rookies tend to provide the best cash generation and having 4 or 5 genuine guys it is hard to pass them up. I thought it would be best to load up there while grabbing some genuine mid premiums and Captain options. I am also trying to avoid guys playing in the forward pocket like the plague and ideally I would have only one of Caminiti and Greene as you want younger key forwards as your slow burn F8 if there are better options available.

I'll post my team below

I have about 47k remaining so I can shift some pieces around if needed.

Phillips to Wilmot was an easy straight swap using Chesser that made some cash in the process.

Hopper is the one worrying me after R1, but there looks to be other available mid price options and I have DPP in the forwards and backs allowing me to bring in BPA if he flops next week.

While Hollands only scored 56, he was extremely impressive with his ability to cover the ground and is well ahead of LOB. Disposal let him down at times but if he cleans that up he can be a great rookie.

Cowan injured might require some retooling. I Caminiti is not named I might see if I can find a way to turn him into Allen or Sav. I might be able to do it by downgrading Darcy to Grundy which is a slight risk

Mat0369

Just looking at my team again, I am effectively picking Caminiti at M9 with all my top end mids having DPP and I would only have to play one of Greene/Caminiti if Sheezel gets injured. Otherwise I have the ability to swing Davey on field for coverage if he feels like the better play

Mat0369

A little bit of tinkering and I realised I had enough cash to turn Dawson straight into Macrae or Bont.

16k remaining with this line up.

I found a way to get Allen into my team which involved starting Tom Green instead.

8k remaining of 14k if I start Tom Mitchell. I can also start Allen and bench Mackenzie with this lineup by playing Fyfe in the midfield and Davey on the mid bench.

Not sure how I feel about either team compared to what I have currently

Ringo

Not sure whether you caught up but Cowan injury was only cramp in both legs so should be right for next week if picked.  Showed a fair bit for 3/4s as well

Different structure to mine but we can not all have the same structure,  All your mid pricers are sound and capable of becoming keepers as well.

Mat0369

Good to hear with Cowan. I didn't watch much of the game prior to the last quarter since I was working and I saw he was subbed off. My mate told me he had played well which was good to hear. I warm night and first AFL game will lead to cramps which is unfortunate.

Mat0369

Ringo

Mat0369

Quote from: Ringo on March 19, 2023, 08:32:42 PM
I'll join you.

It was a freaking disaster. Worst start to the season in god knows how long. Update coming shortly with how cooked it actually is

Mat0369

Score: 1833
Round Rank: 97,189
Cash: $47,400

Good: Doc, Callaghan, Ginbey, Mackenzie, Dunks, Gulden, Sheezel
Pass: Dawson, Oliver, Neale, Steele, Darcy, Rozee
Bad: Constable, Wilmot, Hopper, Ashcroft, Hollands, Davey, Marshall
Ugly: Stewart, Jones, Cowan, Chesser, Cunnington , Greene, Caminiti

And a new category.

I'm a sucker: Fyfe

Where do I start? Tom Stewart injuring his knee was an absolute disaster. Add in Liam Jones and his whopping 5. Cunnington was a mixed bag that appear to struggle. Rookies were a slight disaster and they were the ones I was expecting to be problematic. Hopper who I felt was the safest mid price mid ended up being the worst out of the lot.

Fyfe is the one that stings the most. I got sucked in by the last pre-season game even though he kicked 3 goals and all 3 happened to be random snaps. Today he showed he isn't good enough in front of goal to be a consistent threat as a forward and it killed me.

The top end premium mids felt like a disappointment across the board so the Neale/Oliver/Steele scores are actually okay.

Trades for this week

Stewart has to go, so does Jones. There is the Fyfe problem and it also looks like I may need to move on Hopper and Cunnington next week along with any other missed rookies. Too many players and not enough trades probably makes me lean towards a double boost which is a legitimate disaster.

I'm going to find all the rookie priced players for my next post.

Mat0369

I'll break down rookies by position and tier. So I'll have a good for guys that look like they'll make good cash based on their round 1 score, price and if they came on as the sub. The average and the dump them/slow burns

Backs

Tier 1

McKenna
Bonar
Cole
Buckley
Stocker

Tier 2

Michalanney
Uwland
Goater
Bergman
McVee

Tier 3

Cordy
Mansell
Hannan

Mids

Tier 1

Bytel
Phillips

Tier 2

N/A

Tier 3

Tunstill
Roberts
Brown

Rucks

Sav is the only one and maybe tier 2

Forwards

Tier 1

Chandler
Comben
Pedlar
Henry
Daniels
Hill
Phillipou
Long
McInnes - came on as sub

Tier 2

Menzie
Allen
Bruce

Tier 3

Fantasia
McLean
Laurie
King
McDonald-Tipungwuti
Treacy
Banfield
Evans

Looking at my rookies, I have a number of guys I am willing to give a pass. Cowan for example was subbed off due to injury, a 38 for Cowan is different to Chesser and his 20. Looking at my guys I would break them down like this based off round 1

Keep

Ginbey
Constable
Wilmot
Cowan
Ashcroft
Mackenzie
Hollands
Davey
Sheezel

Potential corrections

Baker
Chesser
Greene
Caminiti

I think I will lock in Jones to McKenna this week. I need to work out the rest of my moves.

arbel

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 19, 2023, 06:42:28 PM
Can I start again?

Yeah my worst start too ... had Jones and Stewart and captained Laird  :o
Still managed 1853 with all that

Mat0369

Cowan is in for another week which is great. He looked pretty good and he may be someone we can start some weeks.

They think Jones might be able to play this week which is another bonus.

Right now the only player I need to get rid of is Stewart. I think I will turn him into McKenna while I work out what other trades to go ahead with. I'll tinker a bit and come back with a few options

Mat0369

Assuming I am locking in Stewart to McKenna, these are the other options

Trade out a combo of Jones, Hopper, Fyfe, Cunnington and rookies (Chesser, Greene, Caminiti, Baker).

With my other trades I can also bring in one of the star rookies from round 1. Looking at the available options, these are the guys I would consider.

Defenders - Michalanney but would rather him on the bubble
Mids - Phillips but same as Michalanney
Forwards - Phillipou or Pedlar are the two I would consider going early off one game

I can then bring in a premium on just about any line.

So it would be one of Sinclair, Sicily or Daicos in the backline.

One of Miller, Bont, Macrae, Cripps, Green or LDU in the midfield.

One of Taranto, Cameron or Cogs in the forward line.

Right now I am leaning towards clearing the dead weight in Greene and Caminiti if Jones plays. I think both will be slow burns and I can essentially downgrade Stewart to McKenna to give me the cash to turn them into Phillipou and Tom Green.

It means I stick with Cunnington, Fyfe and Hopper for one more week and can make some shifty sideways trades by burning through a second boost next week if they all flop again.

Otherwise I can make 2 trades this week which would involve Stewart down to McKenna and anyone to a premium on any line while holding 3 trades for next week and not burning the boost.

I actually don't mind this lineup though with the boost being used this week with 8k being left in the bank