Ringos 2020 Team Thread

Started by Ringo, December 24, 2019, 10:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 11, 2020, 10:14:33 PM
I llike this latest version a lot!

I can see the merits of Heeney at M5. I'm going to consider this for my own team.

My only query (and this can be dealt with later during the Marsh Series) is Steven + Smith. I see too much risk in having both, and much prefer it as a question of Steven or Smith.

I want to suggest: downgrading Smith to premium rookie, and upgrading Steven to Heeney.

But you already have Heeney at M5!!??

M5 + R2 + F3 is clearly the conudrum that needs to be solved this pre-season.

Good luck for the season, mate.
Thank You - Something to consider when we know what rookies become available and agree with your assessment of the conundrum facing us this year.  Still a fair bit of water to go under the bridge,

Mat0369

Stewart is someone I was thinking of locking in, however with the fact he may not be ready to play through the pre-season games and is missing state of origin due to surgery I would probably hold off. He is more likely an upgrade target if he starts off slow. Personally I would pick Hill as a defender and look at grabbing Bonar as your F4.

I can understand the rationale in starting Heeney at M5. You swing him forward later and use him as a keeper there and upgrade your team a little quicker. He was super frustrating last year with a lot of people trading him out early. If the Swans need him to play deep forward and provide a marking target he will and that can hurt his scores early. You may be better off shuffling funds around to find a legit midfield keeper. One way to do that would be downgrading Roberton who I don't think gets back to playing footy with his health issues.

Roberton>Bonar via Hill
Heeney to mid premium

Ringo

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 12, 2020, 07:20:17 PM
Stewart is someone I was thinking of locking in, however with the fact he may not be ready to play through the pre-season games and is missing state of origin due to surgery I would probably hold off. He is more likely an upgrade target if he starts off slow. Personally I would pick Hill as a defender and look at grabbing Bonar as your F4.

I can understand the rationale in starting Heeney at M5. You swing him forward later and use him as a keeper there and upgrade your team a little quicker. He was super frustrating last year with a lot of people trading him out early. If the Swans need him to play deep forward and provide a marking target he will and that can hurt his scores early. You may be better off shuffling funds around to find a legit midfield keeper. One way to do that would be downgrading Roberton who I don't think gets back to playing footy with his health issues.

Roberton>Bonar via Hill
Heeney to mid premium
Still early days though and waiting on Marsh Cup to see some players. Some possible moves being considered Stewart down to Houston, Heeney back to Fwds and Hannerbury to M5. Roberton a wait and see but a few options there as well.

Ringo

As we have discussed in a few forums forwards represent a challenge this year with not knowing who will be premium as the year progresses.  Whitfield will be but in my opinion has maxed out and will be an upgrade target si Dusty the only real standout at the moment.

Taking this into consideration and similar to others have constructed a team going relative weak in forward line. Here is the team and structure I like at the moment.

Have $25k cash and cash needed for tinkering with rookies or non players for Rd 1 Option is to downgrade Treloar to Coniglio, Oliver or similar.
If neither Smith or Roberton become keepers and asuming each trade will be one up and one down means 18 - 20 trades leaving 10 trades for injuries corrections etc. That's the plan anyway.  Obviously forwards will be the initial upgrade targets.

Pros for this structure are that mids are really strong and as we know that is where SC points are maximized. Defence is also relative strong with Roberton at D5 and can still go with the GG ruck combo.
Cons forward weak and run the risk that if Whitfield, Greene or Heeney start strong may be to expensive  to get in. To get playing rookeries may have to downgrade a super prem mid to prem mid.
Think the Pros outweigh the cons.

LordSneeze

I like it Ringo,

Very similar to my team ATM.
I'm a little weaker in the mids with my 5th prem being more speculative and a little stronger in the FWDS, but overall very similar.

I feel this year its one to play a very straight bat of Guns and Rookies, as I don't like the MP options and the backup plans if they fail are quite complex.

ubeaut

Can't really fault the players you've picked.
With regards to the structure, don't we usually find that the fwd rookies are poorer scorers than back rookies?

Bonar (unknown at new club)and Hill (injury risk) at F3+4 then another 2 on field rookies is too flimsy imo.

I'd be replacing Laird or Sicily with a premium fwd

Just my 2 cents, I'd like to hear you're rationale behind the structure you've got

Ringo

Initially it looked like we had more forward rookie options than back rookies hence reason for forward weakness.  However still assessing as we watch Marsh series. Have changed team twice since this post.

Colley Dogs

Hey Ringo... I like this team a lot.

I've been arguing the case of Bonar at F3 for a while now, so no arguments there.

What I haven't seen before, until seeing this team of yours, is the idea of an additional keeper in defence (in the form of Houston), pushing Docherty out to D4. I think it's a smart play, as the Rookies we thought would step up have big question marks (Starcevich; Young; Mcasey etc).

I'm similarly set up to you at the moment. My next concern is a strong plan B should Gawn not take the field in Rd 1.

My plan B team (if applied to your current team), would see:

Gawn - Ceglar
Skinner - Petracca

(You'd need another 50K or so, and that could be got from a number places e.g. Macrae - Bontempelli).

All the best for the season, mate. I'm sure you're going to have a strong one!

Ringo

As I said earlier been playing around a bit since this team posted and this is current team. This team has $65k left to adjust rookies if required.  Not sure whether I will end up playing both Rowell and Anderson but there at the moment.

Just need to see what rookies start before deciding on final structure as to where we end up in defence and forwards

Colley Dogs

Super Strong.

Out of all your versions, this is the one I like most.

Gawn - Comben - Ceglar is the critical line.

(also interested in Jacobs - Xerri - Ceglar... as put forward by LordSneeze)

Right now, as it stands... I see Ceglar (F2/3) - DP Rookie (R3) - Gawn/Jacobs (R2) as being the two optimal structures.

If you opt for Jacobs, it allows for an additional keeper on the defensive or forward lines.

Both structures have 13 Keepers / and require 21 trades to complete.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Gawn - Comben - Ceglar.

Nice team!

Ringo

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 25, 2020, 12:37:39 AM
Super Strong.

Out of all your versions, this is the one I like most.

Gawn - Comben - Ceglar is the critical line.

(also interested in Jacobs - Xerri - Ceglar... as put forward by LordSneeze)

Right now, as it stands... I see Ceglar (F2/3) - DP Rookie (R3) - Gawn/Jacobs (R2) as being the two optimal structures.

If you opt for Jacobs, it allows for an additional keeper on the defensive or forward lines.

Both structures have 13 Keepers / and require 21 trades to complete.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Gawn - Comben - Ceglar.

Nice team!
Thank You may run the risk and put Xerri as R3 do not lose anything apart from VC option if he plays.  North with 12 Sunday games makes north players great VC options. Reason for considering Xerri is if he plays he will make cash unlike Comben, who is a way off playing, would probably be the replacement if Goldy goes down. Inevitably usually have one player each week not playing to assist with VC.

Ringo

Here is my team prior to  Team announcements, 

Dearth of starting rookies really hurting all round. Have 60k to adjust further if need be.

Rayner will go down to a rookie if a reasonable one starts but happy with him priced at 46 and if he goes 70 nice cash rise and stepping stone. McCluggage is the speculatice pick but feel he can increase to 105/110.

Nice bye spread as well.

Roberton and Smith may be keepers at d6 and F6 respectively.

Mat0369

If Young gets up that could solve a lot of problems for everyone. McCluggage and interesting POD. Wingman generally aren't massive scorers in SC but some of the elite guys are always pushing that fringe. Rayner too much risk even at his price. I don't think I've seen enough for a breakout

Ringo

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 10, 2020, 11:44:23 PM
If Young gets up that could solve a lot of problems for everyone. McCluggage and interesting POD. Wingman generally aren't massive scorers in SC but some of the elite guys are always pushing that fringe. Rayner too much risk even at his price. I don't think I've seen enough for a breakout
McCluggage is a POD at this stage as he is going into 4th year when a lot tend to start breaking out,  Good signs in Marsh cup with 2 scores in excess of 110.  Rayner as I said will be a nice steppong stone in the absence of forward rookies. Got a kick in the bum from Fagan last year and returned 4kgs lighter and different attitude which is why I went him at the price.  May burn me but if he gets 60.70 each week nice cash rise as a stepping stone.
Rookies availability will decide final premiums for team.

dylanclements

Thanks for your feedback earlier Ringo. I like this balance of safety and risk. While Clug isn't someone I'm willing to go with he's definitely shown enough to suggest probably 108-110, but maybe even 115 is possible. It might not work out but a smart risk imo. Rayner looks like an okay punt at his low price. And I understand the reasoning with Parish and Ceglar - to me they're both near the line and if either were 20 or 30k cheaper it would make them fairly clear picks.

Only comment is about forward line balance - four slightly speculative and just-about-midpricers looks very shaky to me. It's easy to see multiple weeks where you get 250 or less out of those four. I know it's a hard year with forwards but one less roll of the dice pick there would make it something I'd be more comfortable with personally.

Incidentally, looks like Young is pretty unlikely - maybe Ash will get up or even McAsey, though the latter looks set for some low scores.